cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 Chevy Spark

2kulpt
Explorer
Explorer
Any info on 2013 Chevy Spark ? I know it can be flat towed but what about the niches like having to start it every gas stop etc. etc..The Fiat is the simplist but Like the extra room in the Spark..Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
jimjr wrote:
Falcon35 wrote:
Take a look at the Honda Fit. Not heavy can be towed all wheels down auto or manual. Good storage space excellent service record. We love ours.

X2

Does this apply to the 2018 models also ? I'm in the market.

No! 2013 I believe is the last year for towing an automatic Honda Fit four down. In 2014 Honda went to a CVV automatic transmission and that transmission is not towable 4 down. The Spark auto is CVV as well and that is the reason the Spark auto is not towable 4 down.

Good Luck.

Rick

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
jimjr wrote:
Falcon35 wrote:
Take a look at the Honda Fit. Not heavy can be towed all wheels down auto or manual. Good storage space excellent service record. We love ours.

X2

Does this apply to the 2018 models also ? I'm in the market.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

randyandsandi
Explorer
Explorer
We use a 2013 Spark manual tranny. Start it up, put it in neutral, shut it off and leave the key in the ignition. Steering stays unlocked.

quitajj1
Explorer
Explorer
Start the car then put it in neutral. Then turn off the car leaving the key in the ignition to prevent the steering wheel from locking up. If you take the key out the steering wheel will lock..then tow. We have towed this 2013 manual Chevy spark thousands of miles without a problem.

bojiwoman
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2013 Spark, manual tranny and went from Iowa to Michigan, Wisc. and back to Iowa with absolutely no problems. You have to leave it in neutral, the ignition key turned to accessory. Our Mercedes Pleasure Way class B van handled it wonderfully. You couldn't even tell it was back there. We probably turned it on a couple of times a day when we were fueling it up or eating lunch, whatever. Wasn't a big deal at all. Our Spark got 44.5 mpg on the open road in a couple of side trips, and is a blast to drive. We get a ton of questions about the car from a lot of people. We are very happy with it. We probably averaged 65 mph and had no issues with it.

Road_Princess
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a Chevy Spark. The automatic is NOTtowable 4 wheels down. We tow the manual. We love it. It's such fun to drive, barely effects our mileage (<1 mpg) Chevy recommends it not be towed at more than 55 mph. Since that's about what we do anyway to conserve fuel, it's not a problem for us.
Janet
Way-the-heck-south Texas

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
From the 2013 Chevrolet Spark Owners Manual:

Dinghy Towing (With
Automatic Transmission) Notice: If the vehicle is towed
with all four wheels on the
ground, the drivetrain
components could be damaged.
The repairs would not be covered
by the vehicle warranty. Do not
tow the vehicle with all four
wheels on the ground. Vehicles with an automatic
transmission should not be towed
with all four wheels on the ground.
If the vehicle must be towed, a dolly
should be used. See "Dolly Towing"
that follows for more information.

Dinghy Towing (With Manual
Transmission) To dinghy tow the vehicle from the
front with all four wheels on the
ground:
1. Position the vehicle to tow and
then secure it to the towing
vehicle.
2. Shift the transmission to Neutral.
3. Turn the ignition to ACC/
ACCESSORY.
Notice: If 89 km/h (55 mph) is
exceeded while towing the
vehicle, it could be damaged.
Never exceed 89 km/h (55 mph)
while towing the vehicle.

The 2013 Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide states no special procedures for the 2013 Chevrolet Spark. The REMCO Industries website states "When towing for an extended period of time, start the vehicle as often as possible and allow it to run for five minutes to prevent battery drain. Please check your Owner's Manual for confirmation. Follow procedures within Owner's Manual for guidance when towing this vehicle." for the 2013 Chevrolet Spark.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

RCtime
Explorer
Explorer
GM Engineer wrote:
ntar827 wrote:
I was told by Chevy dealer that the Spark automatic cannot be towed four down.

True. Chevy Spark with an automatic, is currently not approved for dinghy towing (four down). I can't speak to the manual, as I only handle the automatics.

Hmmm, I was told by a chevy dealer the automatic WAS towable.
Guess a look at the owners manual for verification is in order.

It really is a great alternative in the small car segment. I sat in one and was surprised at the room. I liked it very much and the mpg was comparable or better than the otheres also.
Pricewise is as good as it gets on the sticker, but I bet there isnt much wiggle room for discount.
Ron
2002 34HD Winnebago Journey DL, Cat. 330/freightliner
2013 Honda CRV - Garmin 1490t
Great wife & Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, RIP
TT/N

jimjr
Explorer
Explorer
Falcon35 wrote:

X2
Jim -----

SampsonAFBVet

Joyce --- Retired Teacher
Teddy our rescued Yorkie/Maltese

GM_Engineer
Explorer
Explorer
ntar827 wrote:

True. Chevy Spark with an automatic, is currently not approved for dinghy towing (four down). I can't speak to the manual, as I only handle the automatics.

Falcon35
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Georgetown 378TS 2008 Honda Fit
ReadyBrake Surge Brake System integrated with ReadyBruteโ„ข Elite RV Tow Bar

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Retiredblade wrote:
Chevy Spark! What in the world is wrong with GM? They keep putting out more and more models of cars instead of improving the ones they already have. They know that Saturn was a great car for RVers yet they keep making cars that you can't tow four wheels down, they will never learn.
It's called competition at the entry level part of the car market, in size, price and fuel economy.
We'll all be driving Chevy Sparks (or smaller) by 2025 if the EPA sticks with their 55mpg mandate! (and won't relax the standards so small diesels can compete).
As for towing 4-down. If you were running a business, would you compromize 99% of your product to meet the needs of 1%?
Again, fuel economy standards are dictating transmission performance plus it's also economics I'm afraid.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Retiredblade
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy Spark! What in the world is wrong with GM? They keep putting out more and more models of cars instead of improving the ones they already have. They know that Saturn was a great car for RVers yet they keep making cars that you can't tow four wheels down, they will never learn.

ntar827
Explorer
Explorer

If you are towing a manual, do you still have to run it periodically?

Nick