cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 amp cord extension cover?

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having to run an extension 30 amp cord and I'm worried about the elements on the exposed parts of the plugs where the extension and power cord connect. I feel like a while back I saw a cover that went around both plugs but can't find it now. Anyone have any suggestions?
21 REPLIES 21

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
rexmitchell wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions?

I made my own using plastic Plano Ammo Boxes (3 pics). Connections remain dry in even the worst rainstorms. :B

This might work as well, I'm liking that.

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Something like This?

Yes, but is there one big enough for the 30 amp plugs?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am just a weekend camper. If it looks like rain I will wrap a plastic grocery bad around the connectors. It seems to work good enough for me but, I am never in one spot for very long.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback, Soundguy.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
In the ammo box, are the notches in the top of box already in place? If you had to cut notches in the top of the box, what did you use to seal around the openings?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Alabama Jim wrote:
In the ammo box, are the notches in the top corners already there? If you have to notch them out with a knife, how do you seal the opening?

Yes, I notched out the top corners on each box to accommodate the cable but if you look at the pics I linked to, including reading the accompanying text, you'd note that each notch is sealed with a rubber O-ring (i.e. rubber grommet).
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
In the ammo box, are the notches in the top corners already there? If you have to notch them out with a knife, how do you seal the opening?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
For anyone who may care - the reason I used the Plano box instead of a generic plastic box is the lid and body seal tightly together with a rubber O ring so no water can enter the box in the first place. Rubber O rings at the cable entry / exit points preserve this water tight integrity so even in pouring rain there's never any water found inside the box. :B

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
rexmitchell wrote:

I made my own using plastic Plano Ammo Boxes (3 pics). Connections remain dry in even the worst rainstorms. :B

I was going to make a suggestion, but now I'll make a slightly different one..

WIth one small difference (Well two) THat is EXACTLY how I do it. The difference.. My "Tool box" is yellow and I turn it over cause the top has holes in it so water can enter/leave and by turning it over I have teh solid bottom.

Water can still enter the box but only to the level of the lip on teh lid (Well below the plug) and it drains out the holes instead of filling the box.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Biker1mike wrote:
A cheap way is plastic wrap and electrical tape.

And after a few days sitting in the sun moisture will condense to water inside the wrap - just what you don't want. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I always used a couple of flat rocks. one to lay the connection one to keep off the ground and one on top for direct rain protection and shade.

Biker1mike
Explorer
Explorer
A cheap way is plastic wrap and electrical tape.
Mike
'12 Honda Ridgeline pulling '07 Rockwood pop-up

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
rexmitchell wrote:

I did the same thing with clear storage boxes that latch. Found them at walmart.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
In all my years of camping in all kinds of weather,,,,,,rain, sleet, snow, hail, etc I have never worried about that nor have I ever had any issue with it.

After breaking camp I unplug, wipe down cord(s) and spray some contact cleaner on blades.

I like the 'ammo can'.
Have several BUT they keep my ammo clean, dry
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31