cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5 things we don't love about our RV

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's been a few months since we made our "5 things we love about our RV" post and now that things are thawing out here in Pennsylvania we've begun thinking again. We'll be prepping our trailer over the next few weeks for the season and have started thinking about things we'd like to change. So, here's our list of 5 things we don't love about our trailer.

1. No slide: This isn't something we can change, but it would be REALLY nice to have a side slideout. We really discovered this when camping for Thanksgiving and squeezed 6 people into the dinette and sofa to eat. We'd like to have some extra space to move around in the kitchen and dinette area for sure.

2. Master bed position: It's great that we can have a bunkhouse and queen bed in a 25' trailer, but because the queen sits in the slide sideways I need to climb over my wife in the middle of the night for any trips to the bathroom. It would be nice to have the bed situated long ways, but this it another limitation we can't change.

3. Rear bumper: This is a small one, but the rear bumper is stamped and cannot hold a sewer hose. We also don't have a receiver to mount bike racks, etc. The bumper is mounted on the frame of the slide, so I'm not sure I want to put extra weight on there. I'm considering a 4x4 bumper and a hitch, but I really need to decide if I want the extra weight back there. This isn't a show stopper and we'll get around to this eventually.

4. Lack of insulation: When we purchased the trailer the water leaking through the roof was retained in the underbelly by the waterproof membrane. When we completed the repairs all the insulation was removed and left off for the time being to air out. When we went out for Thanksgiving you could really feel how cold the floors were and we used throw rugs as a temporary barrier. New insulation is on our list of fixes for this season.

5. Worn decals: The 14 year old vinyl graphics have seen better days. We own a large vinyl cutter and this is on our list of things to do, but it's not a priority. We'll have new graphics at some point when I decide I feel like peeling the old ones off and I think we'll be sticking with the circus theme.

Luckily it was much harder to come up with the list of things we don't like about our trailer. We still love the trailer, but have started looking for our next unit which may be a few years off.

What would you change about your RV?
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
50 REPLIES 50

peajay
Explorer
Explorer
When we went shopping for our camper last year I knew pretty much what I wanted and what I did not want. Couldn't believe it when we went to look and found one that pretty much ticked all the boxes.
After the first year there's just one thing I'd change my mind on. I'd like a couple easy chairs to sit in when watching tv as the jack knife sofa isn't that comfortable. But...because I want the jack knife sofa too and there isn't room to have both in the size of camper our truck can tow, I'll live with what I've got. I haven't found a floor plan I like in any of the new campers we've walked through anyhow.
I also wish the storage compartment doors were taller. We have to lay items on their side to get them in, then stand them upright. Not a big deal just a nuisance.

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
RVcircus wrote:
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
I wanted 12 volt plugs - one in the bedroom for our fan and one in the kitchen area for a fan or our dvd player that we use to watch a movie so we don't run the generator - but I knew this so had the dealer install them before we took possession of our Cougar. Wish I had asked for 2 more.....

We plan to install some additional 12v outlets this year. We only have one in the trailer and would like to setup a charging station for all the electronics that we're now collecting en mass.

Those 2 that I knew where I needed them have worked great! I would make one suggestion if you haven't already thought of it...map where you sit/work/etc the most and plot a plug within reach, if you can. I didn't do that and am jumping up to plug in my electronic when it says "low battery". If I had realized this before installation, I would have gotten those other 2 plugs. Not lazy but looking for convenience.
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
I wanted 12 volt plugs - one in the bedroom for our fan and one in the kitchen area for a fan or our dvd player that we use to watch a movie so we don't run the generator - but I knew this so had the dealer install them before we took possession of our Cougar. Wish I had asked for 2 more.....

We plan to install some additional 12v outlets this year. We only have one in the trailer and would like to setup a charging station for all the electronics that we're now collecting en mass.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
As someone mentioned, it's all about compromises. If we were to have the perfect RV, then we would have to design it ourselves and pay to have it built. I don't think there would even be a house that we would consider perfect for us. Obviously design and function need to work out. But going along with the theme here.....

1. Bigger tanks.
2. Solar
3. LED lighting
4. Shower at ground level. Not where you have to step up a foot to get into it. And while you are at it, make it big enough for two. Tile itand give it 3 shower heads. Two on opposite walls and nice big rain shower head up above. Can you add steam? Perhaps a hot tube next to it..
5. Bigger but better gas mileage.
6. Maybe an escalator to go in and out with.
7. Built in kegerator.
8. Walk in his an her closets.
9. Rocking chair front porch.

Wait, you mean I can't get all that in a 32' Class C motorhome? Well dang!
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 29' B+. Our previous RV was a 29' 5th wheel. Everything is a trade off, but what I really miss in our B+ is kitchen counter space, enough room for one person. Unfortunately, that has to be the wife, while I have to lay down and read a good book before dinner is served.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Interesting, the most of the major complaints are from owners of smaller and entry level trailers.

Ken

Not at all interesting or revealing.

They probably have the most compromises that's why. If I had 35' of trailer the things that the OP, myself and many others mentioned would not be problems now would they?

Oh, I forgot to mention my outside "cook centre", useless due to low pressure gas set up so I use my trusty Coleman Guide Series 3 burner propane stove. It does make a decent outside shelf though.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Mjoseph320
Explorer
Explorer
I love our new fifth wheel (Cougar 331MKS) with the rear kitchen but there are some things that would make me love it more...
1. A longer awning...we knew it was short due to the slide but hopefully it's not a compromise I'll have to make next time
2. Really need An outlet by the head of the bed
3. The couch is uncomfortable to sit on...but the recliners are wonderful and that's all we really sit on anyway
4. Would love the power cord to be retractable instead of having to lug that heavy thing around
5. Wish the floor vents weren't covered when the slides are closed

I figure it's like buying your first home...it's perfect until you live there awhile and then you know what you really want.
2005 "New to Us" Thor Wanderer, 21'
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great thread. I've enjoyed reading it. ๐Ÿ™‚

We spent about 2 years researching our first (and only) RV before we purchased it about 11 years ago. We started looking at a pop-up to tow behind our Honda Odyssey and ended up with a 36' Class A gasser motorhome which tows the Odyssey.

That said, the research paid off. Our dual slide, dual sofa floor plan has been ideal for our family. We haven't seen another rig since that we would like better. (Well...I did see a 45' DP Prevost that I kinda liked! LOL)

But thinking back, here are a few things that I wish were different/better with our rig:

1.) Better assembly quality. (Fixed most of those issues myself the first year.)
2.) Heater registers in the wall instead of the floor.
3.) Dedicated filtered water drinking faucets (installed myself).
4.) Better technical documentation (wiring & plumbing diagrams).
5.) Wish it had a Prevost badge. ๐Ÿ™‚

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Yup - we have been pt rv'ing for 17 years and on our 5 trailer - three towable and two fivers. Learned lessons with each one.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, the most of the major complaints are from owners of smaller and entry level trailers.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

murphysranch
Explorer
Explorer
We would like to be able to change:

1. better quality foam in the dinette
2. more countertop space
3. noisy noisy AC
4. lack of elec outlets on the 2 slide wall
5. better cross ventilation with windows
Empty nesters
2 cats
2 cattle dogs too!

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
When I sat down I could NOT close the bathroom door.
Anyone over 5 foot tall your knees would hit the door!!!

Yeah.. That's the problem I had until I realized that in my trailer, opening the door blocks off the hallway, and even locks into place.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
OK I can do this....5 things we don't love about our RV

1-The monthly payments/cost
2-The gas mileage
3-Driving a 55-60mph just to get the low gas mileage
4-Not fitting in the drive-thru of most fast food places
5-Not being transformable to a houseboat, without getting water inside.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad