cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A different kind of 12 volt tv question?!?!

E_mc2
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

I have a Pyle 15" LCD/DVD combo in our toy hauler and I was wondering if I can cut the plug off and wire it directly to a "cigarette" lighter end and plug directly in. I have an inverter but it seems silly to go from 12 volt to 110 volt and then back to 12 volt again. The output on the power supply for the tv says the output is 12 volt 4 amp.

Thanks in advance for the help,

E=mc2
2007 GMC Sierra 2500
2009 Weekend Warrior Superlite
B&W Companion
2006 Arctic Cat 650 H1 (x2 His and Hers)
An Awesome Family!
7 REPLIES 7

E_mc2
Explorer
Explorer
You are all AWESOME! Thank you so much for the help. Gonna make the switch this weekend!!!!!!
2007 GMC Sierra 2500
2009 Weekend Warrior Superlite
B&W Companion
2006 Arctic Cat 650 H1 (x2 His and Hers)
An Awesome Family!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Some TVs are more sensitive than others. And basically yes it is fine to go direct. My older Toshiba would complain with a beep tone as voltage dropped below 12.0 volts at the connector. The brick was 12.4 volts.

I far prefer to just use 120v at any outlet from the wired in inverter.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would take my TV cord with Brick with me to Radio Shack... If it is around 15-19VDC output from the brick it will most likely work just fine on the TRAILER 12.6 thru 14.4VDC DC charging outputs.

I have one 15-inch TV that has the 120VAC-17VDC brick and it works great off the trailer DC circuit with the proper connector I picked up from Radio Shack.

I also use a 600WATT Pure Sine Wave Inverter that powers up all kinds things like TV's, DVD player, cellphone chargers, computer chargers, small fan, desklamp, etc.. Being PURE SINE WAVE I can plug anything 120VAC into it and not worry about BLUE SMOKE coming form it. I ran two drop cords from this inverter using wiremold cable kits to hide the extension cords with one going to the home entertainment cent location and the other one going to the bedroom night stand. Momabear has even used her electric lap blanket heater with it.

This INVERTER is on 24/7 when using the trailer.

A great PLAN-B item for us...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, made my own power plug to TV adapter cable. IIRR it was an "M" plug for the TV I bought at Radio Shack.
Be sure to triple-check the polarity before you plug it in.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Why not keep the 120 AC to 12 VDC unit working, and buy another adapter with the correct plug end that has 12 VDC input? You can find these at Radio Shack, and other places.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Yes... I do this for our 7" rear view display which is also a Pyle unit.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes you can.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman