cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A request to all cell phone users (my rant for the day)

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please when you are sitting outside of your RV talking on your cell phone to Aunt Minnie, Uncle Jed or anyone else keep the tone down to as if the person was next to you.
The lady in the site across from us could have been heard a block away today as she shouted for about an hour, and it seems more and ,more people feel they must shout on them.
I could bring you completely up to date on what that ladys entire conversation was about.
Last week a guy next to us was giving out his credit number card to someone, and I could have written it down if I wanted to.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci
59 REPLIES 59

AuntSmurf
Explorer
Explorer
Talking loudly on the phone isn't ALWAYS "rude" or "stupid". DH is a bit hard of hearing, but not enough to warrant a hearing aid. He talks loudly in general, and doesn't realize just how far his voice carries. I have developed a "signal" to let him know when he's being loud. I make a motion with my hand like I'm turning the volume down on a radio. He then will lower his voice. But, eventually, it will probably go back up. I just make the motion again. Unfortunately, we are not connected at the hip, so I am not always there to do a bit of controlling.

I know it's annoying, but give people a break. You may not have the entire picture. There are far worse things to get upset about in life than one end of a loud conversation.

Chickenkiller
Explorer
Explorer
When I was a kid we would take 2 cans and tie a string to the bottom of each and then stretch the string tight and talk into the can loudly so the other person could hear. Of course, the other person could hear because we were yelling into the can. This is what comes to mind when I hear people talking loudly on a cell phone. I look for the string, afterall because they are speaking so loudly there must be a string attached.
Fred:C

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
atreis wrote:
There is a fix for stupid and rude: Education.

There's also a technical reason for people talking louder on cell phones than they do on land-line phones. People gauge their speaking volume by what they hear. The designers of the land-line phone system figured this out, and phones provide feedback to your ear (what you say is played back to you instantly in the earpiece - the ear that you're really paying attention to) so that you automatically (without knowing it) know how loud to talk. Cell phones don't do this, which results in people speaking more loudly than they need to without realizing they're doing it.

Back to the education: Knowing this, it's fairly straight-forward for someone to monitor their volume using their other ear and keep themselves from getting too loud (at least until they get really excited about something and forget).

Very interesting. Thanks for the technical information.

I may be too negative, but loud talk has been going on since the cellphone was in use, many years ago. I don't see people being "educated' any time soon, if at all.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
NanciL wrote:

The lady in the site across from us could have been heard a block away today as she shouted for about an hour, and it seems more and ,more people feel they must shout on them.

Jack L

Some times when you are calling a OLD man like me, I need you to talk loud so I can hear you.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
There is a fix for stupid and rude: Education.

There's also a technical reason for people talking louder on cell phones than they do on land-line phones. People gauge their speaking volume by what they hear. The designers of the land-line phone system figured this out, and phones provide feedback to your ear (what you say is played back to you instantly in the earpiece - the ear that you're really paying attention to) so that you automatically (without knowing it) know how loud to talk. Cell phones don't do this, which results in people speaking more loudly than they need to without realizing they're doing it.

Back to the education: Knowing this, it's fairly straight-forward for someone to monitor their volume using their other ear and keep themselves from getting too loud (at least until they get really excited about something and forget).
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchmen,
Sounds like Mom isn't hard of hearing, she's hard of listening. 🙂
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
One or both of the persons involved in the call may have a hearing problem. Hearing on the phone is one of the first things that will give a problem. Many people over 40 do have some degree of hearing loss compared to their younger years. And, everyone is not perfect.

What? Would you repeat that please, I think I didn't hear that right ... oops! ... showing my age again!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
My wife should read this thread. For some reason she feels the need to speak loudly when on the phone.

I have often asked her to speak quieter and you can imagine how well that goes.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
I like it! Non confrontational, but it let's them know how loud they were.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
X1000 The problem is you can't fix stupid or change rude.

x2 You can't fix stupid or rude.
In this case, yes you can fix it. You simply listen to the conversation and then when you see the person when they are off the phone, you simply inquire about a detail you overheard - such as "Sorry Uncle Jed is in the hospital, hope he gets better". I have done this in the past and it corrects the issue.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Nearly everyone "speaks up" when talking on the phone and talks even louder if there's background noise or a weak incoming signal. The crazy thing is, almost NO ONE is aware that they're doing it.

One more aggravation of modern life...and another reason I like to camp way out in the no-signal boonies. 🙂
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
One or both of the persons involved in the call may have a hearing problem. Hearing on the phone is one of the first things that will give a problem. Many people over 40 do have some degree of hearing loss compared to their younger years. And, everyone is not perfect.

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
What's even worse is when the guy has it on speakerphone and you have to listen to booth sides of the conversation.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
A bit of technology that many are not aware of: Most decent (not entry level), hearing aids come with the Blue Tooth option. Typically it will add a few hundred dollars to the price of a mid range pair - paid $3,400 for my Siemens 2 years ago which included full Blue Tooth function.

With the Blue Tooth capability any smart phone can be mated through the Blue Tooth program and all calls will be transmitted directly to the hearing aids which dramatically improves your ability to hear clearly. In addition they came with a transmitter that I plug into our TV/DVD/Bose home entertainment system and the sound of any program is broadcast directly to the hearing aids.

Aside from the improved clarity the biggest benefit is enjoyed by my bride. Since I control the volume she can sit beside me and read a book and not hear a thing. If we are both watching/listening she controls the volume in the room and I control the volume through my hearing aids.

When I work out at the gym I listen to any of the many music apps on my I Phone through my hearing aids without headphones (which would not work for me anyway). If you or a significant other wears hearing aids check and see if they have this feature or if it can be added. If shopping for hearing aids do not buy unless they come with full Blue Tooth capability.

:C

peajay
Explorer
Explorer
I can excuse annoyances such as loud conversations (cell phone or in person), loud music, barking dogs, and such if when politely asked "excuse me, can you please keep it down" the offending party responds with "oh sorry, I didn't realize..." . But, unfortunately these days the response is "too bad*, its your problem not mine and I'll do as I please" then get even louder! Makes me feel like breaking out the polka music and cranking it up!