cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

above ground holding tank

Stevesmith812
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of becoming a seasonal camper at a park that uses 300 gallon above ground tanks slid under the RV. They will come a pump it out as required for $20.00 a pop. Has anybody done this before and if so how does it work??? Does there need to be some sort of alarm system in the exterior tank or do you just rely on the internal system.

Steve
19 REPLIES 19

campincandice
Explorer
Explorer
We have one at our seasonal - over the last 5 seasons we go 3-4 dumps per season. Never gone more than 4. We're there every weekend plus at least one full week. We do military showers and are careful, but not stingy!
Candice

Steve - Partner in Crime
Molly - black lab
Sabbath - chocolate lab/weimaraner

2014 Open Range LT274RLS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
First thing that occurs to me is to wonder how fast that puppy will fill up. I've been involved in some sewer planning projects, and average water use in a residential setting is assumed to be 125 gallons per person per day! Most of which goes down the drain, of course.

I s'pose RV use might be a little lower than that, depending on appliances etc, but still- at $20.00 a pump it won't take long to make your sticks-n-bricks sewer bill look like chump change.

I think you'll find that RV use, particularly when not on full hookups, is considerable less than that. My wife and I can easily go a week before filling our 70 gallon total waste tank capacity without even trying hard, and without using public facilities for showers or anything else.

I was thinking that the O.P. would have a water hookup, too, at the site with the tank.

Folks tend to use more water when it keeps coming out of the tap!

Well call me Green also, I shower every day and DW and I can go a week on internal storage easy. Yes I has my hands during the day, use the RV for all restroom and showers, and washing dishes, Pots and Pans.

I will add that many of the coastal Oregon State parks, have limited or no full hookups, you learn to conserve.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
could you adapt this as an indicator? it has a female hose end on it.

Sorry, click links not working. copy and paste

http://www.barkermfg.com/bobber%20proof.pdf
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
When you design for a rv park you have people like me the only reason to stay would be to dump my tanks. Also some people can be very waste full so yo have allow for that.
I don't think someone is going to drive a big truck out to pump one tank for 20$ so the must do it on certain days?
Gary

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
We design from 100 to 150 GPD per RV for RVParks. It's not the conserve mode you design for, it's the average normal use.

We must be very different. Three adults, no washing machine, use 60 gallons of water every 4 days, without conservation. We do take "Navy" showers.

That works out to 15 GPD? That is 1/10th of what you state is "average normal."

I don't design waste systems so I may be missing something.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
korbe wrote:
We design from 100 to 150 GPD per RV for RVParks. It's not the conserve mode you design for, it's the average normal use.

There ya go- that's a pump every two to three days. (The O.P. says it's a three hundred gallon tank, at $20.00 a pump). That's $200.00 a month if you conserve.

For comparison purposes, the typical monthly rate for sewer in Seattle, Washington is a little over fifty dollars a month. Link to rate page

He didn't say he's living there full time...
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

vern751
Explorer
Explorer
I am a seasonal and about half the campers in our park use them. We were allowed to dig a small pit to put them in, all sand in our park so this was easy to do, they cannot be buried the top must remain exposed. There is a float inside that trips a flag like on a fishing tip up when it is near full. I am on my third year of using mine, me and my handicapped brother, generally have it pumped 4 times a season, May-Oct.
Jeff,Ted
Mason the rescued lab
2002 35' Dutchmen bunkhouse

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Francesca Knowles wrote:
korbe wrote:

There ya go- that's a pump every two to three days. (The O.P. says it's a three hundred gallon tank, at $20.00 a pump). That's $200.00 a month if you conserve.

For comparison purposes, the typical monthly rate for sewer in Seattle, Washington is a little over fifty dollars a month. Link to rate page

That GPD average use is predicated on 'holding tanks being dumped?

No average RVr is using 100-150 gpd.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

korbe
Explorer
Explorer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Whether we are on hook ups or using tank we go a week before dumping.
50 gallons black & 78 gallons grey.
I do have to shuttle some grey over to black at day 5.

OP....
My problem(s) with a 'holding tank' is having it slid under my RV. I'm sure it will fit but not to thrilled with the idea of it venting under my rig and around the sitting area outside.
Bad enough when some CGs have neighbors sewer hookup right in your yard but venting is done with a 8'-10' stand pipe with elbow.

300 gallons should be roughly twice monthly pump out ie: $40/month
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
First thing that occurs to me is to wonder how fast that puppy will fill up. I've been involved in some sewer planning projects, and average water use in a residential setting is assumed to be 125 gallons per person per day! Most of which goes down the drain, of course.

I s'pose RV use might be a little lower than that, depending on appliances etc, but still- at $20.00 a pump it won't take long to make your sticks-n-bricks sewer bill look like chump change.

I think you'll find that RV use, particularly when not on full hookups, is considerable less than that. My wife and I can easily go a week before filling our 70 gallon total waste tank capacity without even trying hard, and without using public facilities for showers or anything else.

I was thinking that the O.P. would have a water hookup, too, at the site with the tank.

Folks tend to use more water when it keeps coming out of the tap!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I camped by myself for about 2 weeks on 100 gallons of fresh water. I did have a place to drain my 42 gallon grey tank, and the 59 gallon black tank never got full - even in a month.

Yes I think you can go a week or so - perhaps 2 weeks without dumping. I like the idea of dumping your tanks every time they are full, and you will get an idea of how many times it takes to fill the tank. Then call the guy to dump your 300 gallon tank, and dump the black tank and RV tank all at once, getting about 375 gallons all at once.

The charge is more for the labor to drive out there, than the actual cost per gallon to dump it. I think they even charge $20 per portable toilet serviced weekly.

You can also get thrifty with your water too. If you can recover some of your shower or dish water, you can dump it outside, and also save some in a used gallon container to use for flushing the toilet.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate