cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on cross country trip

yaya
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of planning a cross country trip next summer. There is so much to think about and bring. Does anyone have a checklist of some kind that may help us? I am afraid we will forget the silliest of things. Any advice would be helpful.
30 REPLIES 30

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:

Driving across country is nothing but a bunch of long one day trips. You are not going to the tip of South America.

I don't agree. If you leave some items - your camera (phone, iPad, etc) charger behind, as one example - and your battery dies on your one day camping trip, it's no big deal to wait one day to recharge it or find the spare battery you left back home.

But if you are a week away from home, you aren't t going to drive back. You might have to waste vacation time and money searching for a replacement that works for your model, having someone mail it to you somewhere, and so on.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sheesh, you are driving across the country not going to the dark side of the moon. Carry the type of things you should always have onboard. Spare belt, oil filter, fuel filter, a quart or so of oil, washer fluid, all of that sort of thing that may or may not be readily available.

Driving across country is nothing but a bunch of long one day trips. You are not going to the tip of South America.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter wrote:
Start your list now as you think of them.

This is what I do :).

If you are going east to west, pack some warmer clothes and warmer bedding than you think you need. The low humidity means evenings and nights are cool! You are pretty likely to even get frost, in the Rockies.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
A long trip is just a bunch of short trips.

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Prescriptions from Walgreens or Walmart can be refilled on almost any corner.
and search this Forum for `cross country' and read on.

The exception to this are pain meds.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Start your list now as you think of them. For example, a bic-type long click-lighter, fat wood starter sticks and a poker if you like campfires. (Leave firewood at home, though, because many states ban bringing it in due to insect infestation.)

Depends on your interests. If you hike, bring good-fitting shoes, quality socks, a sun hat you like, etc.

Think about the things that would be harder or time-consuming to find en route. Electronic chargers for phones, iPad, camera. Those go on the list.

I like to bring important info in the event something happened back home - such as our home insurance agent contact info and policy number. Copies of our passports, etc. etc.

If you like photography, plan ahead on how you'll save your images as you go so you don't lose them all if the camera is lost. Extra SD cards, accessories. I have an accessory to download from the card onto the iPad, and then we can look at photos together. HDMI cable to watch them on RV TV.

Some sizes of batteries are hard to find. We tried a batch of WalMarts looking for one to use on the remote clicker to open the RV cab doors when one went bad, never could find the right size. So we keep an extra to bring along.

Fuses and RV-specific mechanical stuff is a whole other topic.

Another vote for WM in general, though. You can find easily them around US and Canada, they have a lot of odds & ends, and it's easy to park. We tend to have a WM list going most of the time while on our trips, and if it's a Super Wm, you can get groceries, too.

DH's rain jacket went missing somehow a week or two into a five-week trip, and he found a very suitable water-repellent black leather-look jacket with a hood at WallyWorld for about $25. Sure came in handy this summer on rainy, cool days while setting up or getting ready to leave a campsite.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
WalMart is your friend.............

Seriously - we always take a trip to WM as we forget something or intentionally leave something behind knowing there is always a WM nearby,
it's the only time that I can stock up on new underwear and socks !!

to the OP - don't sweat the minor details.
Gerry

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
A cross country trip is no different from a shorter trip - only longer. So perhaps a few more clothes and plan for different weather issues - layering works well. Don't overload on food. You can replenish on the way. Bring needed prescription meds and just in case, cold/allergy and stomach upset meds. Have a great trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Don't sweat all the small stuff.

Walmart will become your friend for anything you have forgotten and/or need, fresh food, or to get real cash for any of those flea markets you might come across! Parking will accommodate any size rig and fortunately there is one in every town.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
I have made my own list of things to bring on any given campout. It includes virtually everything I can think of, and if we don't need an item (bathing suits, for example) I just cross it out for that trip. I revise the list each year, before camping season starts, and print out several copies before the season.

If you are doing any camping this year, make a list of things you have been packing for your campouts/trips and that can be a good start to work from for next year.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Prescriptions from Walgreens or Walmart can be refilled on almost any corner.
and search this Forum for `cross country' and read on.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Spend a couple days - or a weekend at a campsite a few weeks before you leave.

Don't go back and get anything you forgot - just make a list. Then look at it before you go, and see if you really, really need it.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
There is a Walmart type store everywhere you go. If you forget something minor pick it up along the way.
DO not stress before the trip over minor details
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Fortunately, there will be some place to buy almost anything you might happen to forget.

Bring meds and insurance cards. Those might not be as easy to replace, although if you get meds at national chains, you can usually get refills.