cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Affordable solution to make bunks more comfortable?

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
The bunks in my RV are ok, but not great. Is there a cheap way to make them more comfortable without buying a $300 mattress? Mattress topper? Foam underneath?

I have odd sizes 30x74 and 42x74 so it is not easy to find ready made toppers. Also, I see standard poly fill, foam, gel foam, and memory foam. I am looking for the most comfort for under $100 per bed.
15 REPLIES 15

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. I found 1.5 inch memory foam toppers at Wallmart for $25 that fit the bunks perfectly and make a big difference.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I bought new foam at an upholstery supplier and the BIL, an upholsterer made new covers for me. The new foam makes a big difference and is cheap compared to buying toppers,new matresses and such. I also throw a cheap eggcrate foam topper on the dinette booth because it uses multiple cushions.

This is the foam supplier I used: Rochford supply They also sell awning cloth and have good upholstery cloth at discounts. I bought all the cloth for my cushions there for about $5/yd.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to Walmart's 6" memory foam MATTRESS.

Spa Sensastions

The KING size is $159 with free shipping and it will arrive in 3-4 days. A KING is two TWINS, so two bunks size ones should be easily made.

They also have 8", 10" and 12" thick ones.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
Lots of people with pop ups use a memory foam topper, and they say if makes a huge difference.

You could probably get a full, or queen and cut it in half.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

I have a hybrid and the mattresses are made so they fold and those areas are downright painful to me.

I tried a 2 inch memory foam pad from Walmart and amazingly enough, the mattresses are now comfortable.

Truth be told, I did not believe they would help.

Caryl
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
95jersey wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
95jersey wrote:
I am looking for the most comfort for under $100 per bed.

Buy a memory foam queen mattress online and cut it in half. You can get a queen for around $200 and make two bunks out of it. WAY more comfortable. I have back issues and found the stock Denver mattress to be intolerable. Bought a $240 12" thick memory foam mattress and find it WAY more comfortable.

Do you have a link to something like this?

I bought a queen topper at walmart for way under $200. Cut it in half to make two pads. Kids used them for 10 years and two fifth wheels
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
95jersey wrote:

Buy a memory foam queen mattress online and cut it in half. You can get a queen for around $200 and make two bunks out of it. WAY more comfortable. I have back issues and found the stock Denver mattress to be intolerable. Bought a $240 12" thick memory foam mattress and find it WAY more comfortable.

Do you have a link to something like this?

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
You can buy egg crate foam toppers ($10-20 for queen size) and cut to fit. Again, over or under. And they won't deflate :).

This. One queen or king will be plenty big to cut custom fit to your bunks. Those egg crate toppers do a pretty good job.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
We went on eBay and purchased some of the memory foam mattresses a size bigger than what we needed and cut them to size in our old travel trailer since they were odd shaped.

Price was cheap and they were 4" thick.
Kids loved them till they out grew the bunks.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
95jersey wrote:

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on the egg crate foam. I've had mine for 10 years now and it turned an uncomfortable RV queen into a very nice comfortable mattress.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Try a nearby upholsterer. They buy foam by the sheet and can cut and glue it to any size you want. When we buy some, they even come with zip off covers.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of people with pop ups use a memory foam topper, and they say if makes a huge difference.

You could probably get a full, or queen and cut it in half.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy egg crate foam toppers ($10-20 for queen size) and cut to fit. Again, over or under. And they won't deflate :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a couple of really cheap (like $2/each) pool mattresses and put them under the mattresses in our bunk house. These are slept on by kids, so there is not as much weight like it would be for adults, but the kids said they were wonderful. We only put about half the amount of air in them as should have been, but enough that if they laid on them, it wouldn't go straight to the wood. They lasted an entire season. They were not long enough, but they didn't need their feet cushioned anyway.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW