cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Afraid of Mice

bsiemens
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting ready to store the motorhome for the winter and are wondering if there is anything we can do to keep out the mice during the winter months. We keep it in a barn out in the country so there will be mice.
30 REPLIES 30

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I think it helps to make sure there isn't one crumb of food, spice or anything remotely edible in it or even that throws off a smell of food.
That, and a lot of luck. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I would add to above quote: I HAVE used moth balls and it is the only thing that has worked. Put moth balls on the feet of the jacks and around the tires, every where the mice can climb onto the trailer. Check several times during the winter and add moth balls as needed. Where I have my trailer stored, there are mice trails under and around the trailer, but they never go in. DO NOT BAIT THEM WITH ANYTHING, either inside or outside the trailer.
I hear people say that moth balls don't work, but they are the only thing that works for me.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
georgelesley wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
Although I never tried this, I've read that some folks obtain dried urine (I think it's fox) and use it to deter mice. The mice sense that there's a predator around (Hmm, maybe cat pee would work similarly). Don't know where you'd obtain it, though.

Preadatorpee.com has it. I also use some of their other products to discourage other pests.

Preadatorpee.com didn't work for me. Spelling????

Now it works?????????? Predatorpee.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
georgelesley wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
Although I never tried this, I've read that some folks obtain dried urine (I think it's fox) and use it to deter mice. The mice sense that there's a predator around (Hmm, maybe cat pee would work similarly). Don't know where you'd obtain it, though.

Preadatorpee.com has it. I also use some of their other products to discourage other pests.

Predatorpee.com. My bad sorry, thx for pointing it out. Have not had my morning coffee yet.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
mr. ed wrote:

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:

Predatorpee.com has it. I also use some of their other products to discourage other pests.

hunter_rv
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with all of the ideas and do them all, it is a war. My rig is out in a pasture field and I intend to kill'em all.

The only additional level of protection that I added was MouseFree. I put that on the undercarriage and wheels of the camper. Expensive, but so is wiring replacement and complaints from the wife.

Kill as many outside first. but, be worried about some cats, they are weak. A mean old nasty farm cat or even better, a bobcat, will do the trick.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I put poison rat poison in feeders that won't let anything in but rats and mice. I put them right by the tires. After a lot of years I've never had a mouse. However I've also been told that owner of the rental storage units sprays something around the buildings that deters the mice. That I'm not sure about. When you buy poison make sure it in balms the rodents.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

luvourtoys
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer stays on our 6 acres at the lake, we have tried D-Con, peppermint oil, irish spring soap, nothing works for us. Last year we had pretty good luck sealing up as many holes as we could find with steel wool, a lot better than years past but we still had a few visitors. We were up over the weekend and they had already started in on our boat, spent all day Saturday cleaning it out. Good luck!
Jennifer
Husband Dennis
2 boys 11 and 18
1 dog Joe Boxer
2007 PUMA 29-FKSS at the Lake
2005 Bass Tracker PT175

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I read on one of these forums about putting aluminum foil under and up a bit around the tires since that is the only entry point if not hooked up. I made a slight change since I thought putting foil under duals to be hard to do.

I took aluminum flashing cut it to allow a few inches all around the tire when parked on it and waxed it with car wax. It makes it too slick for them to climb up the tires. If not parked on cement put it on boards. Five years now and no mice.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Trap them. You can buy this or make your own using PVC and some PVC caps. It really works. I keep one "set" in my garage all the time. When I first used it I think I got 5. Now only one once in a while. The mice will be afraid of you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SIlYiiCGLI&t=13s

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I had mice in my garage walls once,,turned a gheto blaster radio full volume up placed against a wall and let it rumble and shake while I was away,,
Mice dont like noise or vibrations like that and left by the time I got back..
Worth trying,,

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Walkdog wrote:
No paper that they want to tear apart and make a home. Then pray!
Just the opposite - if mice get in, they're going to make nests. If they don't find paper products, they won't turn around and leave, they'll find something else to use. Much, much, better if they find paper towels or TP to use than chewing up the curtains, linens, or seat covers (although they may well do that, too).

Before I got rid of the mice, they built a nest out of the fiberglass insulation on the oven. The lack of paper didn't bother them.

Glad I found out, could have caused a fire.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
For a very infested barn or an unlimited mouse haul, a guy should build one of those bucket traps. A search will turn up various designs but they all are made with a pivoting center support over the water in the bucket. Mouse crawls out on baited rod, slips with turning rod, and enters the water. With this type of trap, a user doesn't have to empty traps for each kill.

I'm blessed with Ms Kitty, a rodent assassin. She has cleaned out most of my neighborhood I think.

X2. Built several over the years. One year had 8 drowned mice after the bucket trap sat outside the 5er for just two days.

Also used the electric Bird X device. Only drawback is pets can be bothered by the noise.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.