cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air compressor?

bigtime_077
Explorer
Explorer
This may be a dumb question but I am seriously wondering how many times a scenario like this has happened to any of you. I have been camping now for a while and just bought a new travel trailer. I am starting to get some other items around for it that I feel are must have but don't want to haul too much uneeded items.

My question is about taking an air compressor with you not for inflating pool toys and such but in the event that you would need to add air to the TV tires or TT tires. How often is this a likely event? If you blow a tire out no air compressor is gonna help you there so I don't know if I really see a side of the road scenario unless the spare tire is low. I was thinking more along the lines of at the campground you check air pressure it is low so do you have a compressor to add or just get it to a gas station with air? Or how about you get a nail in a tire, pull it out, plug it, and then need to air it up.

Anyway I have a smaller 120v air compressor but it weighs 35-40 lbs so I was thinking of a 30 amp 12v compressor that uses aligator clips to attach to battery posts.

I guess I am looking for opinions as to whether this is even something to look into or am I just throwing out wild scenarios

Thanks
30 REPLIES 30

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inflator. I leave the compressor at home.

The 120V inflator I've had for forty years goes to 150 PSI, good even for skinny bike tires, and will run long enough without overheating to fill a completely flat 8-10 inch width x 13-17 inch wheel car or truck tire to 30-50 PSI, or it will top off my 80 PSI motorhome tires. Brand is Campbell-Hausfield, it was made in Taiwan, was also sold as Craftsman. You can still find one like it, these and other brands, but they are now made in PRC or Southeast Asia.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry a small 12v compressor underneath the seat in my TV. It will inflate the TT tires to 80psi ...eventually... It is mostly for my bicycle.

I have a larger 120v compressor I seldom carry with me. I figure if I must I will dismount the tire and head to the nearest town, extending my trip by a day.

I am pretty conscientious about checking air pressures daily and spares weekly, as well as crawling around underneath the rig with a telescopic mirror and flashlight, checking all the dark nooks and crannies for incipient problems.
So I have not been surprised by sudden tire problems, save one blowout from an unavoidable road hazard. (knock on wood).
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
I just don't trust a 12 volt compressor. May be fine to "top off" but what if your tire is FLAT and you need to run 80 psi into it?
I carry a 12 volt compressor in each of my cars, but for the MH, no way. I carry a Sears Airboss compressor. Small but powerful 135 psi, takes up mayby twice as much room as a 12 volt job, costs a c-note when on sale. Air's up my class c tires in less than 4 minute's. On the side of the road away from power, kick on the genny and I'm good to go.
Also carry a Lowe's Kobalt 350 ft/lb electric impact wrench for the wheel lugs, 12 ton bottle jack, and a Stop & Go tire plug kit. Also, half a dozen air valves for the valve stems and the small tool to insert them.
Basically I can repair or change a tire without having to wait for hours for my roadside assistance to kick in, and usually they won't change an inner duelly tire.
Rather carry this stuff and not need it than be stuck waiting for help. And, I've used my equipment more than a few times helping other RV'ers that I've seen on the side of the road.
Grumpy

bound4fl
Explorer
Explorer
I use a good 750 watt inverter and a small 2 gal air comp from wally world works great. I even use it on some of my job sites for my nail guns.
Killin time waitin on tomorrow.

posid123
Explorer
Explorer
For this problem before I also very headache, but now I every time they go camping carry two spare tire and a 150 psi portable air compressor, so basically can have a good journey.:)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
kvangil wrote:
I carry this guy around.

Goodyear Cordless Air Inflator

Light, cheap, cordless, does the job. I used to use the Slime 12v inflator from Walmart, and it did the job to inflate tires to 80psi. I figure I usually only need to top off about 5psi or so at most, so no need to carry a big, heavy compressor around.

I bought a similar device at Sam's club.
bumpy

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
I carry this guy around.

Goodyear Cordless Air Inflator

Light, cheap, cordless, does the job. I used to use the Slime 12v inflator from Walmart, and it did the job to inflate tires to 80psi. I figure I usually only need to top off about 5psi or so at most, so no need to carry a big, heavy compressor around.
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

catmancando
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a10 gal. tank type compressor and it works fine have a inverter in truck that will run it good to have.:)

B_Sjulestad
Explorer II
Explorer II

This is what I carry with me, works great for everything I need.
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tankless inflator that is powered by 120VAC. Husky brand from either HD or Lowe's. You set the desired final pressure, lock the hose to the tire stem and do something else while you wait. I sure wouldn't want to try to fill a completely flat tire on my 'C' with it. I'm 68 and wouldn't live long enough. So I also carry a fully inflated spare and a Good Sam roadside assistance card.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I find it useful to carry an inflator, which is a small diapraghm compressor without a tank, capable of 100-180 psig but slow to fill because rate is low. I use one to top off my RV tires (65 psig and 80 psig) or bicycle tires (80-100 psig). I've used it once to fill a flat trailer tire, it took a long time but the job gets done.

The inflator I carry is a 120V Campbell Hausfield, probably bought it from Sears or K Mart 40 years ago, made in Taiwan back then. Bought one for SIL about 20 years ago, was then made in PRC, but basically the same compressor. Duty cycle is about 20-30 minutes, which is what it might take to fill a flat truck tire.

There are smaller infators that run off 12V, my brother has one that struggles to fill pool toys to about 5 psi, another SIL has a better one that can top off car tires, don't know how it does with a full tire inflation. That one is from Harbor Freight, but probably old enough that they are now selling something different.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

bigtime_077
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies. I have a 3 gallon air compressor already. I think it weighs around 35#. I was just looking for something more lightweight and compact. Unfortunately I am not really sure if something smaller will have the ability to air up low trailer tires or not. Some of them show 150psi but the cfm is really low at higher pressures. Maybe I would just be best to take the compressor I have now.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was a 1 gallon pancake 110V air compressor at Wally World for $55.

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
Our truck came with a 110 PSI air compresser, mainly to keep the air ride seats, cab, suspension filled up, one of the pluses of owning a MDT
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension