cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air compressor?

bigtime_077
Explorer
Explorer
This may be a dumb question but I am seriously wondering how many times a scenario like this has happened to any of you. I have been camping now for a while and just bought a new travel trailer. I am starting to get some other items around for it that I feel are must have but don't want to haul too much uneeded items.

My question is about taking an air compressor with you not for inflating pool toys and such but in the event that you would need to add air to the TV tires or TT tires. How often is this a likely event? If you blow a tire out no air compressor is gonna help you there so I don't know if I really see a side of the road scenario unless the spare tire is low. I was thinking more along the lines of at the campground you check air pressure it is low so do you have a compressor to add or just get it to a gas station with air? Or how about you get a nail in a tire, pull it out, plug it, and then need to air it up.

Anyway I have a smaller 120v air compressor but it weighs 35-40 lbs so I was thinking of a 30 amp 12v compressor that uses aligator clips to attach to battery posts.

I guess I am looking for opinions as to whether this is even something to look into or am I just throwing out wild scenarios

Thanks
30 REPLIES 30

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this compressor after this one finally died. I had to modify the little 12v one to air up the MH tires, but it worked well until it finally burnt up after about 5 years of heavy use.

When we go away for a weekend to 4 day trip, I usually don't bring the compressor, but on extended trips I do. Usually during month long trips the tires lose a couple pounds of air each. The compressor has some weight to it, but it is worth having it. Since we have a MH, 110v is always available with the on-board generator.

It's low profile enough that it fits in most of our outside compartments. I travel with it under the bed, but move it to one of the outside compartments once setup.

If you really want a 12v one, get a higher end one like the VIAIR 450C or 450P. You could probably get away with the 300P since you have a TT. They are faster than the little one I linked to and should last a lot longer than the cheaper versions.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use the compressor that keeps my air bags inflated. I have a Schrader valve at the rear license plate. I have an air hose with a locking chuck on each end. I connect one end to the valve then set my on board controller for a few psi above what I am looking for.
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry the 150PSI tankless 12VDC portable compressor in a bag. Sits under my back seat in my truck.

Sitting it on the tail gate of the truck I can clip it into the trailer battery and air up all my tires around the trailer and truck. It is also my means for doing a quick BLOW OUT winterizing using a city water port adapter if we get get caught in heavy freeze all of a sudden.

Is most definitely part of my PLAN-B tools. As soon as the kids find out you have one the bicycles line up all day long wanting their tries aired up haha...

My Q Industries portable MV50 12VDC 150 PSI portable Tankless Air Compressor (AMAZON) has been with me since around 2005 even back in my tent camping days.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
We do it different that what I've seen posted: We fill up a 5 gal AIR TANK, holding about 100psi or so of air. I always felt if I needed air, and I have a few times, the tank would suffice. I've filled bicycle tires, trailer tires, etc from the tank. DOWNSIDE: only way to replenish the air is to stop at a gas station, etc for more. It's a compromise but still works great.

You can pick up air tanks at walmart, menards, etc for real cheap...like $25 to $35.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Pacbrake exhaust brake and a on board air compressor with 1-1/2 gal of air, puts out 150 psi no issues.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I always carry a small tank compressor since we needed it for the tires on our 5er @ 110 psi. Would never get that as a gas station and often difficult to get to the air pump with gas station traffic. No longer have 5er, now 35 ft TT but use the compressor as required after checking pressures before each trip either at home or campground. Would not be without it.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
the neatest setup I have seen was a fella that had separated the tank from the goodies, mounted the tank clear under the RV in an unused opening, and mounted the goodies out accessible.
bumpy

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a 3 gallon pancake compressor on all trips plus a smaller inflator for bike tires. We don't use the larger one very often but we tend to be conservative like carrying TWO spare tires...
It's difficult to find air at a gas station that can handle the 80 psi our tires need.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
Not at ww----------cw --- ain't woke up yet wow

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a compressor at w w ,comes in it's own bag, with a bunch of acc, too, been working for us for 4yrs so far.clips hook to a bat post.now it's all happy-camping

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm cutting and pasting this from a previous post of mine:

First the disclaimer. Other than as a customer, I have no affiliation with this company. We are fulltime, movin' around RV'ers for 13 years. A 12V compressor capable of dealing efficiently with 80lb tires, while not essential, has proven useful on many occasions, more specifically the top-offs engendered by changes in altitude and temperature. 9 years ago, we purchased a Master Flow unit that served us well for 3 years until I dropped it off the side of our truck and the intake housing cracked in half. I wrote the company asking about a replacement part. (It would have been a 10 minute switch-out..tops) I explained what had happened and in no way suggested that it was anyone's fault save my own. 4 days later a brand new complete compressor was delivered, no questions asked. We're still using it and kept the old one for parts (which we've never had to use). THAT, folks, is customer service! I offered to at least pay for the replacement part. Their response was: "If you have the chance, tell others about us". I have had that opportunity and just now did it again.

That said, this is a rugged unit that weighs all of about 5lbs that will completely air a flat 225/16 to 80 lbs in 5 minutes. I can't say enough about the product or the company. And you have to understand that this comes from someone who believes that 99% of everything marketed is ****.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I also carry a small tank compressor from Sears. I only use it once in a while to fill up my motorhome tires. It beats trying to fill them at a local gas station and they never give out free air anymore, with some exceptions, and those typically are a 5 minute fill for $1 unless you buy gas, then can be free, but is a smaller compressor more for car tires than the 90 PSI that I need.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
I feel carring a compressor that is able to top the tires off is a neccessary item to carry along. But then I check the pressure before every hook up.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a small pancake air compressor for a C-note from Wally World. It can air up tires, but it is a pain, the thing is extremely loud. Not as slow as the tankless types, but if there were something better that wasn't too much bigger, I'd go that route.