cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Amish cooling unit installed

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
After reading a lot here and elsewhere I finally decided to get it done to our Norcold 1200 refer since we are in Shipshewanna anyway. I found out that some such units are nothing more that refurbished OEM units. Helium seems to be the safer gas to push the ammonia vs hydrogen, but requires a redesigned cooling unit coil. Most do not do this.

Thanks to recommendations I found here, I had J.C. Refrigeration do ours. Since we have our 95 yr old MIL traveling with us, safety was my primary concern especially in view of Norcold's history of fires and overheating.

J.C. Is a wealth of information and I saw the units being manufactured from new in his shop. He patiently answered all my questions. We opted for the helium unit, after J.C. Explained the need for extra fans being put behind the outside top fin assembly we had that done, also had a halon self activated fire extinguisher installed in the outside compartment, and the smart rv three fan system installed inside the main compartment for more even cold air distribution.

Besides sleeping better from a safety position, here are the results: the freezer is about 2-3 degrees above zero. It was in low 20's previously. The main refer compartment is mid 30's top shelf, about 39-40 bottom shelf. This is on a #4 setting. (We have 1-9). I suspect when it all settles down from all the food that just got put in, we will have freezer compartment temps at or below zero and main compartment low to mid 30's. I will likely go back to a #3 setting to prevent main compartment temps falling below 32. When I touch the cooling coils and boiler they are much cooler than they used to be.

We could not be happier, and highly recommend J.C. For such work. Anyone wants more detailed info or contact info, prices, etc, PM me.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley
16 REPLIES 16

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad it worked out for you but imagining what it cost, I think I would ave installed a compressor fridge and been done with it.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
maybe this should go in RVSERVICEREVIEWS.COm
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind