Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An eventful relocation journey

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all y’all,

The journey from Huachuca City AZ to Fresno CA was interesting and eventful, with both good and bad events, but nothing horrible. I left Mountain View RV Park at about 10:00am Saturday morning after sharing coffee and pleasantries with a few of the parks long-term residents. I took the photo of my RV and “toad” just before leaving. My motorcycle’s packed inside my toad (them toad’s will eat anything!).

The drive through Arizona was interesting and a few of my questions were answered regarding hot weather driving comfort in my work-in-progress rig with a non-functional AC system. Fortunately, I grew up in the pre-AC days and have endured several summertime cross country trips sans AC. However, I’d heard numerous RV horror stories regarding the amount of heat generated by the in-cab engine box. Thankfully, though its 20 years old, my Holiday Rambler was a premium rig in its day and both the floor and engine box are very well insulated. Though it was in the upper 90’s and +100 going through Phoenix, I drank lots of water and drove through the day no worse for wear.

Before entering California I gassed up in Arizona where gas is still “cheap”. When you have a 75 gallon tank and an engine that gets low mpg you keep an eye out for cheap fuel. My first bad event (which later became a good event) happened in California where I found the state rest area I’d planned to stop at was closed. I was angry because I’d researched the CDOT website just to avoid such an event, danged CDOT liars! I ended up parking in the corner of a truck stop at 8pm. The manager told me it was okay to park there and rest, however he never told the later manager of our conversation and I was awakened at 2am and nicely asked to leave. No problem, actually heading towards LA on I-10 very early Sunday morning was excellent. They did let me stay for a cup of coffee and some yummy biscuits and gravy and I was on my way on the nearly empty highway.

My next event was cresting the 4,183’ Tejon Pass and the dreaded “Grapevine”. I drove I-10 west to highway 57 and then hopped north to I-210. I-210 was a pretty drive, not too hilly with pretty mountainous views on either side. I finally reached I-5 north and immediately was directed by highway signs to take the truck route. Whatthehell? For the next 6 miles I steadily climbed first to 1,000’ elevation, then 2,000’ elevation, onwards and upwards I crawled at a steady 35mph. Finally, it leveled out slightly but I still climbed at 45mph. When I reached Tejon Pass I found a rest area, actually it’s a brake check area. How odd is that, why should I worry about my brakes, I was just happy my engine was still running good. Anyone ever hear of the dreaded Grapevine? Thankfully, I’m well aware of brake fade on long down grades and had swapped out my rigs 20 year DOT 3 brake fluid for DOT 5.1 severe duty, high temperature brake fluid (not to be confused with DOT 5 brake fluid). Between keeping the rig out of over-drive and staying in lower gears, with occasional brake applications, I made it through the Grapevine none the worse for wear.

My only real bad event occurred about 100 miles south of Fresno. I’m cruising along at 60mph on cruise control and I begin losing power, whatthehell! I disengage the CC and pump the throttle and it temporarily regains power only to falter again, jeeez am I running out of gas, now what? It finally shuts down and I coast off the road. Ever try to stop something like this on a dead engine, brakes… what brakes? Not only did the engine die but it barely cranked over, strange because before I left AZ I’d installed a new group 65 750amp battery. That’s one helluva battery and according to my amp gauge it’d been charging steadily the entire trip. I sat for about 20 minutes checked a few things and decided to give the engine another try. Danged if it didn’t fire up and run great as if nothing had happened, I swear sometimes this rig’s like a little kid “Gee, sorry about that Steve, I’ll be good now!” I breathed a heavy sigh of relief and made it to The Big Fresno Fair RV Park with no further events. Anyhow, I have a month parked to learn what caused the temporary engine failure and correct it*.

The Big Fresno Fair RV Park is an interesting place, I’m sitting with my 20 year old Holiday Rambler next to a beautiful late model diesel pusher rig probably worth at least $100K and across the way are a classic 1974 Foretravel rig and an old 5th wheel TT. On the other side of me is a guy “camped” in his Chevy sedan. However, he’s also a park maintenance guy and doubles as security. Only in California would basically a homeless guy living in his car also be park security. Anyhow, he’s a pleasant enough fellow and that’s all I care about. I think tomorrow, after I’ve had a day of rest, I’ll be heading to Yosemite in my Caravan. Yosemite mid-week is probably as good as it gets from a crowds standpoint.

Steve

*see http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27692241.cfm

**I ended up visiting Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP’s this past week. They were simply beautiful parks!
4 REPLIES 4

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I remember a Ron and Carol from NE, they have a large brown/tan/white 5th wheel and a brown short-haired dog. Nice people! They left a day or two before I did.

2010Liberty
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings and glad you made it. We have stayed at Mountain View before and have gone on 3 ATV rides with the park folks. We are really good Friends of Ron and Carol from NE. I bar cat. converter will plug and stop you like a jake brake only to cool off and allow you to roll on for some time.
LRW

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
Nice write up. Sure hope you figure out what caused the power loss. That could be very bad if you were on a narrow winding road into Yosemite and you wound up blocking traffic.

As for getting kicked out of the truck stop. I'd sure like to know which one that was so I could avoid it myself.

The trip was definitely a learning experience. I posted the engine problem I had in the Class A section as Unexpected engine failure (shut down) 1994 Ford 460 V8 and believe I have the problem sorted out. As for the truck stop, they weren't really nasty or anything and believe me, hitting the road into LA at about 2:30am Sunday was the best thing that could've happened to me.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Nice write up. Sure hope you figure out what caused the power loss. That could be very bad if you were on a narrow winding road into Yosemite and you wound up blocking traffic.

As for getting kicked out of the truck stop. I'd sure like to know which one that was so I could avoid it myself.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)