Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Likely RV Brake Failure Crash

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, fatal. LINK

Maintain your brakes, folks. Change that fluid if it's old and make sure you have lots of friction material.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad
45 REPLIES 45

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Some of the things RV'ers get into makes you wonder sometimes. Maybe we only hear local and strange stuff from our state being we live close by.

I never will forget the guy maybe 10 years ago that came down from Hurricane ridge in class A and a big cabinet behind him came loose or disconnected. Cabinet fell and broke his seatback and forced him against the steering wheel and windshield, he couldn't lift his foot to get on the brake. Lost control and crashed killing him.

I guess when its time to go you go?

That was a horrific crash on Hurricane Ridge, you're right that the MH cabinets did de-construct, but probably after the crash. It seems that brake fade, and an inexperienced mountain driver were the actual cause(s). It must of been terrible for him to be standing up on the brake pedal to try to get it to stop, without success.

Review of Accident
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the things RV'ers get into makes you wonder sometimes. Maybe we only hear local and strange stuff from our state being we live close by.

I never will forget the guy maybe 10 years ago that came down from Hurricane ridge in class A and a big cabinet behind him came loose or disconnected. Cabinet fell and broke his seatback and forced him against the steering wheel and windshield, he couldn't lift his foot to get on the brake. Lost control and crashed killing him.

I guess when its time to go you go?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
I take issue with some reporter diagnosing the cause of an accident with zero knowledge. An accident investigator would never make a snap statement as to the cause of the accident.

From the article: "Cool says investigators are looking at a mechanical failure as the cause of the crash." Cool is with the Tacoma PD....not a reporter.

Where the victim departed the roadway is at the base of a long straight descent down a fairly steep hill. I can easily see where they would look to brake failure.

On edit: Brakes

Looks like it was an unfortunate self induced death.

....(snip it)""The bill of sale included a clause that the 18-foot-long motor home should be towed rather than driven, police said. The paperwork was found inside the vehicle after it sped out of control down South 19th Street and smashed into pieces.""....

Guess we will see just how well THAT bill of sale will play out in court as a sold (AS-IS, towable only) holding the seller harmless, since this crash got so much media coverage. I hope it DOES protect the seller.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

RV-1_2n-FUN
Explorer
Explorer
WOW!

Just looked at the 19th street hill plus barriers at the intersection. Sure would make one pucker heading down the hill with poor brakes and seeing those barriers coming into view.

MotorPro
Explorer
Explorer
So she was driving with bad brakes,no seat belt while talking on a cell phone, can't imagine how that could be dangerous

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
I take issue with some reporter diagnosing the cause of an accident with zero knowledge. An accident investigator would never make a snap statement as to the cause of the accident.

From the article: "Cool says investigators are looking at a mechanical failure as the cause of the crash." Cool is with the Tacoma PD....not a reporter....

But it is a reporter writing the article and making the statement. I have found you can never trust the preliminary reports because the news media likes to sensationalize stories. You know, the old line, "If it bleeds, it leads".

However in this case it appears the original conjecture was probably correct if this quote is reported correctly;
"Wilby reportedly called her daughter and said she was looking for a place to pull over because the brakes werenโ€™t working properly, police said.

Then she turned down South 19th Street."
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

From the article: "Cool says investigators are looking at a mechanical failure as the cause of the crash." Cool is with the Tacoma PD....not a reporter.

Where the victim departed the roadway is at the base of a long straight descent down a fairly steep hill. I can easily see where they would look to brake failure.

On edit: Brakes

Looks like it was an unfortunate self induced death.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer

The statistics are weighted according to miles driven so they are relevant.

rhagfo wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:

Age 65 and over drivers have among the lowest rate of accidents and it is a good possibility the driver had a TIA or some other medical event prior to the collision.

Now that statement doesn't really make since!!
There are far more unfit and unhealthy 30 year old's now days than those of us that are 60+!!

I could have written it clearer but it makes sense. Seniors have a very low rate of accidents per mile. Many of those accidents are the result of a medical event such as a TIA or MI.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:

And i am in trouble now since I am a long way past 65. Where is the hey is that fountain of youth. :h

You passed the exit 10 years back! Maybe your eye sight is going? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
The write off on the brake failure is the easiest way in the world for the "investigators" to write it off.

And i am in trouble now since I am a long way past 65. Where is the hey is that fountain of youth. :h

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Except those statistics are based on daily drivers of tens of thousands of cars.

Are there MH's included in those figures most likely at a very small percentage.

So when you figure in the disproportionate yearly average miles driven on the road of an RV. The overall percentages don't work for the RV.

For example my guess is there are far more fires on the road involving RV's than there are of cars. Yet the figures would include ALL vehicles.

I don't know about the fire thing. I put a lot of miles in for work and play and have seen my share of fires. Not one was a RV.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
How would YOU handle any driving emergency that might come your way, while driving a motorhome? You'll never know unless it happens to you, OR you are tested in a certified full-motion simulator.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Except those statistics are based on daily drivers of tens of thousands of cars.

Are there MH's included in those figures most likely at a very small percentage.

So when you figure in the disproportionate yearly average miles driven on the road of an RV. The overall percentages don't work for the RV.

For example my guess is there are far more fires on the road involving RV's than there are of cars. Yet the figures would include ALL vehicles.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
beemerphile1 wrote:
noe-place wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
Brake failure? doubt it
other mechanical failure? doubt it
operator error? possible
sixty-five YO driver suffered a medical problem before first barricade was hit? most likely

Isn't speculation a wonderful thing?

Speculation based on statistical evidence.

Only aproximately 7% of all accidents are due to mechanical failure so that makes brake failure unlikely.
Over 90% of all vehicle accidents are operator error.
Age 65 and over drivers have among the lowest rate of accidents and it is a good possibility the driver had a TIA or some other medical event prior to the collision.

Now that statement doesn't really make since!!
There are far more unfit and unhealthy 30 year old's now days than those of us that are 60+!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"