NW22
Explorer
Explorer
27 REPLIES 27

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
mlts22 wrote:
Swoop/squats are pretty common, so I would not be surprised in the last. If it was this, I hope they catch the person driving the car ahead and charge them with murder, or at least negligent homicide.

Where does that come from? :h

The report said they came up on a 'set of slow moving vehicles', likely in that area, a group of vehicles lined up behind a slow-moving farm vehicle.

ugavet
Explorer
Explorer
Freightliner motorhome could be referring to a coach such as a Haulmark, Showhauler or Renegade truck conversion.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I read the report that the MH driver was not paying attention. Who do we charge with murder now? Living in deer country, I don't swerve. You die when you hit the tree and the deer skips off into the woods. There is a difference between a sudden change of direction and a full on panic move.
Puma 30RKSS

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Although it is very graphic, this is worth reading so that young people (and oldsters, too) will realize how devastating a car accident can be…

BUCKLE YOUR SEAT BELTS by the Georgia Paramedics Against Drunk Drivers…

Do you know what happens in the first fatal second after a car going 55 miles per hour hits a solid object???

1. In the first tenth of the second, the front bumper and grill collapse…

2. The second tenth finds the hood crumbling, rising and striking the windshield as the spinning rear wheels lift from the ground… Simultaneously, fenders begin wrapping themselves around the solid object… Although the car's frame has been halted, the rest of the car is still going 55 miles an hour… Instinct causes the driver to stiffen his legs against the crash, and they snap at the knee joint…

3. During the third tenth of the second, the steering wheel starts to disintegrate and the steering column aims for the driver's chest…

4. The fourth tenth of the second finds two feet of the car's front end wrecked, while the rear end still moves at 35 miles per hour… The driver's body is still traveling at 55 miles per hour…

5. In the fifth tenth of the second, the driver is impaled on the steering column and blood rushes into his lungs…

6. The sixth tenth of the second, the impact has built up to the point that the driver's feet are ripped out of tightly laced shoes… The brake pedal breaks off... The car frame buckles in the middle... The driver's head smashes into the windshield as the rear wheels, still spinning, fall back to earth…

7. In the seventh tenth of the second, hinges rip loose, doors fly open and the seats break free, striking the driver from behind…

8. The seat striking the driver does not bother him because he is already dead... The last three-tenths of the second mean nothing to the driver…

P.S. READERS: Although air bags offer some degree of protection, I suggest that you make several copies of this grisly piece to keep in your vehicles, and the next time you ask a passenger to please buckle his or her seat belt and the passenger replies, "Oh, we're less than 10 minutes from where we're going," counter with, "I'm not moving until you buckle your seat belt." Then hand the passenger this piece to read...

The only information I see in the article is they don’t know if the woman was wearing a seat belt leading to the reasonable” assumption” she wasn’t still in her seat after the accident…

These things are always sad no matter who’s at fault… while accidents will happen they are always preventable…
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Freightliner makes the chassis.. I know because I shared breakfast at a hotel with an owner of such a rig when both his and mine were in the shop (Mine was minor compared to his).

One of the things I was taught is to follow so far behind the car in front of me. Now, back when I was 15 and in Driver's ed it was a very complex method of computing that distance... Later I learned an easier way, One thousand one, One thousand two If you are driving a car. you watch as say the car in front of you goes under a bridge (The shadow hits the back bumper) then start counting one thousand one, one thousand two, if you are in shadow,,,, YOU ARE TOO CLOSE. if you are driving a motor home on dry roads (NOTE: This is on dry roads) add one thousand three (3 seconds)

I used to stand on a bridge and watch passing traffic, Later I let a camera stand on the bridge (Well the building beside it or a 50 foot, or taller, pole) and watch cars passing (We had over 150 of said cameras I could choose from) and in many cases I did not get past One thousan..... Dang rare for me to get to one thousand one on..... Yup, tailgating.

True story.. Stove fell off a truck and landed in the 2nd lane. Right near one of the aforementioned cameras.

We focused on it and zomed in (Gas range, not electric) then zomed out and focused a bit behind it.. Watched cars approach in groups of 2 or 3 all in the 2nd lane (five lane freeway) and all but the leader tailgating.. The leader would change lanes at the last second, the rest... Underware.

Finally a group of 3 cars and a pick up (that order) The leader changed lanes at the last second, #2 very likley messed his drawars, I'm fairly sure #3 kissed bumpers with #2 and the pick up... He did not stop, swerve, or slow down.

He place kicked that stove a good quarter mile and off onto the shoulder.

Called off the patrol car I'd sent
Called off the county pick up crew I'd called for

Set it for morning pick up (from the shoulder) on regular time instead of the higher night pay rate.

The cameras, by the way, enabled us to pinpoint the incident (Callers had it 2 miles farther south) and saved us the response. Saved the state just about the cost of that camera on that incident alone.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
:h
Just shoot them first why bother with the formalities of an investigation and charges… who needs details anyways…
:S
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Swoop/squats are pretty common, so I would not be surprised in the last. If it was this, I hope they catch the person driving the car ahead and charge them with murder, or at least negligent homicide.

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Mounties are still gathering information before they consider charges."

Consider charges? I'd think losing his wife would be enough.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
Freightliner motorhome? Is there such an animal? I know they make rv chassis but I didn't know they made a complete mh.

I agree, the driver was probably driving too fast for the conditions. Sudden emergencies do happen however, but still..... Not enough info to really judge.

So sorry for his loss.

Ron

So many armchair experts.

I was traveling along on a secondary road one day at the speed limit of 45. I suddenly realized that the traffic in front of me was stopped. Thank God I had Toad brakes and antiskid coach brakes. I stood on the air brakes as hard as I could and all 30,000 lbs stopped about 10 feet before a collision.

It can happen to you.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Freightliner motorhome? Is there such an animal? I know they make rv chassis but I didn't know they made a complete mh.

I agree, the driver was probably driving too fast for the conditions. Sudden emergencies do happen however, but still..... Not enough info to really judge.

So sorry for his loss.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Jloucks wrote:
NW22 wrote:

near Fox Creek, Alberta, Canada.
Read here.

Yikes! Lucky for the cars the RV swerved onto the ditch. I wonder if somebody in a car did the ole 'slam on the brakes' move in front of them.

or the driver of the motorhome was driving too fast for the situation, or was towing a toad and didn't have toad brakes, etc. etc.?
bumpy

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Very sad...
Out for a good time then it happens 😞

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
NW22 wrote:

near Fox Creek, Alberta, Canada.
Read here.

Yikes! Lucky for the cars the RV swerved onto the ditch. I wonder if somebody in a car did the ole 'slam on the brakes' move in front of them.