cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anybody towing a mid 90s Saturn?

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
If you're towing a mid 90s Saturn or can offer any advice, please chime in. I'm new to the "dinghy towing" world and at times it can be confusing. Can a Saturn automatic be towed? Do I need to have some additional braking system installed for it to be towed? I'm not interested in spending an arm and leg, but would like a lite weight dependable toad. THANKS for input, suggestions, etc.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
8 REPLIES 8

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
Even though I said I am looking for a SATURN ( above ) I am interested in any recommendations for OTHER light weight cars that other people may have.

Richard

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1997 SATURN Station Wagon last year as a tow car.
It towed like it was not there, with all 4 down.
It was an automatic, so I put it in neutral and put a quick disconnect on the battery post.
The only problem I had, was ..I am 6'2" , 65 yrs old, and 225 lbs ... I looked like a rock slide FALLING out of the car, rather than a graceful exit.

It was not exactly built for someone my size... With that said, I am looking for another tow car now, and I am considering one again.

They weigh about 2100-2300 lbs, and that is very good also.

Richard

johnbo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi We have towed three different Saturn's. They were all automatic and were all flat towed. No problems with any of them.
1= 1999 Saturn wagon

2= 2001 Saturn L200

3= 2007 Saturn Aura XR

We liked all of them.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a 97 Saturn 2.4. Roadmaster setup and air brake. Towed like it wasn't there. Got great mileage. Just remember to close the air intake vent or air conditioner vent before towing. Put it on Max air before cutting it off. Otherwise you will get a lot dust etc down the cowl. It will block up the filter. Make sure they install the charge wire correctly from coach to car or you may find the battery drained, after towing in the dark or for too long. Cut the headlights off too and follow the manual. You have to stop and run the engine and through the gears every so often. Once a day or five hours maybe.

1963jarhead
Explorer
Explorer
i tow a 97 saturn sw2 behind my 33ft Winnebago i don't use any extra braking. Tows like a charm.I put it in nuetral and also i put a disconnect switch on the negative post of the battery so my battery doesn't go dead. Be Safe:) jp

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Those Saturns are popular tow vehicles. I used to tow a '98 SL2. It's light (2600 pounds), well equipped, economical, reliable and reasonable to drive for such a small car. It can be towed with no modifications. Brake system? I'm not gonna go there...... ๐Ÿ˜‰
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
mikeleblanc413 wrote:
If you're towing a mid 90s Saturn or can offer any advice, please chime in. I'm new to the "dinghy towing" world and at times it can be confusing. Can a Saturn automatic be towed? Do I need to have some additional braking system installed for it to be towed? I'm not interested in spending an arm and leg, but would like a like weight dependable toad. THANKS for input, suggestions, etc.

We had 2 different automatic Saturns we towed, nice cars for towing. We added a braking system for piece of mind and also some states require them. To bad we don't live closer I have a base plate that fits some Saturns that I would give you.
Good Luck From Indiana

NORM_WADDELL
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 1999 Saturn behind a 30 foot Allegro.
I use no add-on brake system.
I have done this for many miles with no problems.
L NORMAN WADDELL
30 FOOT ALLEGRO
SATURN TOAD
WIFE AND 2 DOGS SUGAR BEAR & COCO BEAR