cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone Experienced with Hopkins Insight Brake Controller?

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had experience with the Hopkins Insight controller? It is a proportional type and gets pretty good reviews on Amazon and other places. The main thing with it is that it comes in three separate units, instead of the traditional one unit design (like the Tekonsha P3 et.al.). This allows the display to be mounted on the dash and the controls to be mounted in a more accessible place, instead of where you have to reach down to access. (the unit's brains are mounted under the dash) The cost is currently $72 on Amazon, which seems really cheap, as it used to list for $139. I like the idea of the functionality with the three separate pieces, but wonder why it's so much cheaper than the P3 . . . (cheaper is always better, right? L:)L)

I'm especially curious if anyone with a Hensley hitch has used this controller and how it worked to soften the infamous "Hensley bump." I've used a couple Jordan 2020 controllers (true proportional as it hooks to the brake pedal via cable), but my last Jordan just went south on me. I know everyone seems to love the Tekonsha P3, but I like to at least try to be a little different . . .

Mighty 4Runner Sport V8 4x4 - over 200k
Hensley Hitch
McKesh Mirrors, Geolandar G015 Tires
Hopkins Insight Brake Controller
Tranny: Hayden Cooler/Fan & CyberDyne Gauge
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic fluids everywhere!
Rockwood 2502 Ultralight TT (3600 lb. dry)!
24 REPLIES 24

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
So I wanted to post about my experience after coming back from a 2,000 trip around the Colorado mountains a couple weeks ago. The Insight controller performed flawlessly and and we never experienced the infamous "Hensley Bump" that others and myself have at certain times! I did play with the two adjustments a little to get it dialed in right - the sensitivity I have it on is 5 (out of 9) and the power is set at 60 (out of 95). This works real well. As I applied more pressure to the foot pedal, the Insight did a real good job of applying proportional trailer braking.

One of the neat features of the Insight is that they split the unit into three components (brains, control & display) . The little display I placed right on top of the steering wheel post. It's small enough to not be bothersome and gave me a clear, easy to see indication as to the setting adjustments I was making, as well as how much brake force the unit was applying. The display is not that bright, but I found that in most instances it was readable just fine. At night, I wouldn't want it any brighter.

I never thought I would say this, but it has been a decent replacement for my old Jordan 2020 (which was a true proportional controller with a cable attached to the brake pedal lever)! Once I got the Insight dialed in it was just as smooth as the Jordan. In one respect I think it even might be slightly superior to the Jordan, in that the Insight applies power as it feels the need for deceleration. Once the need to slow down passes, I could see the applied power drop to zero on the display as the truck & TT came to a stop. The Jordan, on the other hand, would keep applying power to the TT brakes as long as a foot was on the brake pedal.

I hereby give this Hopkins Insight my full recommendation!
Hensley Hitch

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
Oh boy, now I get to try it - it works! (Now I see I must change my sig)

Thanks Barney!
Hensley Hitch

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Third post. I win!! :B
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Second reply on this page to show how signatures work.
Barney
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tery,
Your signature will only appear on the first post on a page. If you make more than one post per page it will only appear on the first.

I will make another post right now and will have my signature box checked. I will wager a beer that my signature will not show up on the next post! :B
Barney
Not towing now.

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Teri,
I have no input on the Hopkins as I have never used one. Personally, I used a Prodigy for many years (got one when they first came out) until I purchased my new truck two years ago. I would go with the Prodigy but would probably purchase a Hopkins to try it out. (you asked! :))

Edit:
Check out Page 5 of the Prodigy P3 install instructions for information on how to set the power on the P3. It does have adjustable power levels in addition to the boost settings. In my mind, that would be the same thing as sensitivity settings.
Barney
So I finally got the Hopkins Insight installed (was waiting to get out of the heat to do it)! I have to say that I like it. The three different components (brains, control, display) were easy to install in places that made sense. The controls are very straightforward. Within just a couple minutes I had the settings good enough to take the trailer out of the parting lot. I played with it a little bit while on streets and then on the freeway, and think I've got it dialed in already. This truly only took about 15 minutes I'd say. I'm sure when we head to Colorado next week, I'll perhaps get it dialed in a little more, but I'm very confident in the way it stops and starts - very controlled and smooth.

So the only two adjustments on it are the power applied and the sensitivity. The sensitivity is just how sensitive the accelerometer works I believe.

I never thought I'd be satisfied with a non-proportional controller, but this one may do the trick!

(BTW Barney - what happened to my signature?)
Hensley Hitch

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Teri,
I have no input on the Hopkins as I have never used one. Personally, I used a Prodigy for many years (got one when they first came out) until I purchased my new truck two years ago. I would go with the Prodigy but would probably purchase a Hopkins to try it out. (you asked! :))

Edit:
Check out Page 5 of the Prodigy P3 install instructions for information on how to set the power on the P3. It does have adjustable power levels in addition to the boost settings. In my mind, that would be the same thing as sensitivity settings.
Barney
Not towing now.

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
Nosedive wrote:
The prodigy has a gain (power) adjustment and a boost setting, no sensitivity setting. I just never cared for the way it operated, I could never get used to it, my personal preference as I know some love it. I like that I could fine tune the sensitivity and gain on the Hopkins so there was a lot less jerking and constantly turning the boost on and off. Once I got the Hopkins settings set to my liking, I never had to touch it again. It didn't matter whether it was slow speed driving in campgrounds/parking lots or high speed on the highway. The only time I changed settings was if I pulled one of my other trailers.
Oh, so for all the bells & whistles of the P3, you're telling me it doesn't have a sensitivity adjustment and the Hopkins Insight does, right? :? If that makes all the difference, then it sounds like the Hopkins might be the way to go!

Barney - Wataya think?
Hensley Hitch

Nosedive
Explorer
Explorer
The prodigy has a gain (power) adjustment and a boost setting, no sensitivity setting. I just never cared for the way it operated, I could never get used to it, my personal preference as I know some love it. I like that I could fine tune the sensitivity and gain on the Hopkins so there was a lot less jerking and constantly turning the boost on and off. Once I got the Hopkins settings set to my liking, I never had to touch it again. It didn't matter whether it was slow speed driving in campgrounds/parking lots or high speed on the highway. The only time I changed settings was if I pulled one of my other trailers.

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
Nosedive wrote:
I ran a Prodigy P3 on my Ford Excursion. I'm sure I will offend a few here, but the Prodigy just never seemed to perform the way I liked it. Using the boost setting was fine going down the road, but then had to be turned off every time when in city traffic or campground/neighborhood or it got really jerky. I switched to the Hopkins Insight and loved it. It has adjustment for sensitivity and gain. Once it was dialed in, I never had to touch it again as far as adjustments go. It just worked nice and steady with no jerking. I just a new two rig so I have an integrated brake controller, but if it had not come with it, I would have bough the Hopkins again.

Alright - at long last, someone who has used the Hopkins Insight! Thanks! So you said the Hopkins has "sensitivity & gain" adjustment . . . doesn't the P3 have this too? What makes the Hopkins better then?
Hensley Hitch

Nosedive
Explorer
Explorer
I ran a Prodigy P3 on my Ford Excursion. I'm sure I will offend a few here, but the Prodigy just never seemed to perform the way I liked it. Using the boost setting was fine going down the road, but then had to be turned off every time when in city traffic or campground/neighborhood or it got really jerky. I switched to the Hopkins Insight and loved it. It has adjustment for sensitivity and gain. Once it was dialed in, I never had to touch it again as far as adjustments go. It just worked nice and steady with no jerking. I just a new two rig so I have an integrated brake controller, but if it had not come with it, I would have bough the Hopkins again.

taken
Explorer
Explorer
TeryT wrote:
An Ausie controller?! (and the control doesn't mount down under) Well wataya know mate!

Excellent eye for irony... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

TeryT
Explorer
Explorer
An Ausie controller?! (and the control doesn't mount down under) Well wataya know mate!
Hensley Hitch

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Just to throw another option at you that I went with over both the P3 and the Hopkins, take a look at the Redarc Elite. Only sold at etrailer as they are new to the US but big in the EU. Made in Australia. I just installed one in my wife's Grand Cherokee as I wanted something that was a very stealth install. I'm very happy with it.

Redarc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP