cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone get a Class A non-commercial license in California?

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Can you share your experience on what the process was like? What did they make you do on your road test? Was there a written test?
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh
11 REPLIES 11

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I think that they will allow it, the more aware of a situstion the better, if not you better practice with out them just in case mirrors only and situational awareness, remember the tail swing of the trailer and low obstructions, go to you tube snd watch the video of the 5th tearing a gas station roof down, very few look up either gooing forward or worse in reverse, be safe ouy there.

navegator

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
Make sure that you always use the turn signals even if you are parked at a curb, I do not know if they will make you park in reverse to the right and the instructor stands at the curb watching if you run the trailer tires over his or her foot, and makes you stop at an imaginary line so that you do not hit anything going in reverse and yes you can go over the line into the on-coming lane to make a right turn so that you do not have the trailer tires on the side walk, always watching for traffic of course, take your time and go wide and use the mirrors, and pay attention to the road signs, specially around schools and fire stations, and be very vigilant for pedestrian cross walks, when coming to a stop sign, stop the truck before the white line and count one thousand and one, two thousand and one, three thousand and one, do not say this out loud but in you head, this gives you the 3 second count for a full stop and not a rolling stop, at the same time that you count to your self scan the left, ahead and to the right before continuing, the stopping before the white line also applies to the a signal light at the street corners, if the person giving the test engages you in conversation DO NOT TURN to look at them and answer, that is an immediate fail, they want you to keep your eyes on the road and not them.

I had a California commercial class "B" license for many years.

navegator

Thank you for the information. Since my truck has all sorts of cameras, and I plan on installing the reverse camera on the back of the trailer, does the examiner allow the applicant to use all the technology aids available to help with the reverse and parking? IOW can I use all my cameras during the test?

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure that you always use the turn signals even if you are parked at a curb, I do not know if they will make you park in reverse to the right and the instructor stands at the curb watching if you run the trailer tires over his or her foot, and makes you stop at an imaginary line so that you do not hit anything going in reverse and yes you can go over the line into the on-coming lane to make a right turn so that you do not have the trailer tires on the side walk, always watching for traffic of course, take your time and go wide and use the mirrors, and pay attention to the road signs, specially around schools and fire stations, and be very vigilant for pedestrian cross walks, when coming to a stop sign, stop the truck before the white line and count one thousand and one, two thousand and one, three thousand and one, do not say this out loud but in you head, this gives you the 3 second count for a full stop and not a rolling stop, at the same time that you count to your self scan the left, ahead and to the right before continuing, the stopping before the white line also applies to the a signal light at the street corners, if the person giving the test engages you in conversation DO NOT TURN to look at them and answer, that is an immediate fail, they want you to keep your eyes on the road and not them.

I had a California commercial class "B" license for many years.

navegator

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Got It!! Nice rigs your looking at.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
starcraft69 wrote:
Lexx wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
CA Noncommercial DMV Info

Step by step process...good info

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. Now the next step is to decide on the trailer and then hire a trainer for lessons.

Why are you wanting a class A noncommercial license. if you dont have the RV?

Because the RV I'm going to be purchasing is likely a Grand Design Momentum 328M or 351M and they're both 16.5k lbs GVW. My truck is rated at 14klbs GVW. So that will put me over the 26k requirement. I don't want to be out of class and have insurance issues, especially in litigious California. I'm just getting my ducks all lined up.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Lexx wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. Now the next step is to decide on the trailer and then hire a trainer for lessons.

Why are you wanting a class A noncommercial license. if you dont have the RV?
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
There is a driving test.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
F-TROUP wrote:
Adults must:
Complete an application for a driver license (DL 44).
Pay the application fee.
Submit a Health Questionnaire (DL 546) dated not more than two years prior to the date of your application.
Pass the basic Class C law test, unless you renewed your Class C license within the past 12 months.

This should help

I thought there was a driving test as well?

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Adults must:
Complete an application for a driver license (DL 44).
Pay the application fee.
Submit a Health Questionnaire (DL 546) dated not more than two years prior to the date of your application.
Pass the basic Class C law test, unless you renewed your Class C license within the past 12 months.

This should help