cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone using Campfire in a Can - Facts & Opinions from users

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at the propane Campfire in a Can product to purchase. Got a few Amazon Gift cards burning a hole in my pocket.

Wife doesn't really care for the real wood fires with everything smelling like smoke. We are not on the road often yet but both of us like the thought of the the fire and heat with no wood.

Anyone using the product that likes it, doesn't like it??

Would value any real world opinions on it.

Thanks,
Michael
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad
29 REPLIES 29

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Campfire in a Can is fantastic. Like The Texan did, we are using glass beads, not the included logs or cracked glass. Glass beads are much larger, look very pretty when the flame is on and put off more heat. We purchased our beads from American Glass.

No smoke, instant on and off. Move your chair as close to the fire as you want with no worry of smoke!

As someone just mentioned, the Kickstarter "convertible" version looks like it is much more involved than the simple propane version. I personally don't ever see me going back to any kind of wood based fire again so that product would not be something I would ever consider.
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
I just caught back up with this thread, and dove in a bit more on the Kickstarter. Seems like a neat product/concept. The conversion to propane looks it could be a PITA after the unit gets used several times. Suppose some gloves would help on keeping from getting too dirty.

As I have the Amazing Campfire In A Can now, and reminder, like it quite a bit. I'll hold off on the Kickstater. If space constraints were no factor, I'd get the non propane Kickstarter, and carry both. But usually in RV parks and campgrounds that allow open wood fire, they have a ring in place. So to us, this would be limited to Boondocking where rock rings are not already in place.

I could also see it as another option for home owners. We place a galvanized oil drip pan onto some 4 X 4's laying on their sides. And have a $40 SS washing machine drum. We set this up several times a year at our vacation home. The pan on 4 X 4's allows us to set this up on the grass with no long term damage. I could see the Kickstarter being a great substitute to the washing machine drum, with the advantage of feeling more secure when placing the lid on top at the end of the night.

I wish them luck with the Kickstarter!
Smitty

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
I really like the new Kickstarter product for the 2 in 1 propane/wood version somebody linked to on the first page. I will likely back that one. Thanks for posting it!

Seems like the next generation of campfire in a can solves many of the complaints and keeps many of the positives. Hard to beat. Want to use propane because you have to? Check. Want to use real wood? Check. Want to use charcoal and cook with it? Check. All while keeping the nice compact size and portability. Ready made for RVers.

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the great replies. I am going to give it a try. Placed my order yesterday. Will let you know what I think when it arrives.

Thanks again!!
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
We've enjoyed our Amazing Campfire in a Can. We use it several times while watching the stars, and as others have mentioned - like being able to turn it on/off on demand.

We get the temperature up and going, heating the ceramic logs, then turn the flame down to between say 1/4 - 1/3 on. This keeps us warm, in non wind conditions, and really cuts back on the LP usage. Sometimes in extreme cold weather, I'll also fire up the Heat Buddy, and keep our back ends warmed too:)!

I feel it was worth the extra coin, and is a good product. Allows fires in places we'd otherwise not be allowed to have one. We do also pick up bundles of firewood and enjoy conventional fires, where and when allowed.

Best to all,
Smitty

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
No hissing with Camp fire in can. Has many more BTU. than the Lil. Red.

Pogoil.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Had the Campfire in a Can. Didn't care for it at all. Went through lots of propane, but it's just not a real campfire. Got rid of it the next season.

The best thing about it is that many CG's that don't allow campfires will allow the propane ones.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
To those of you with the campfire in a can.... Does it have that propane "hissing" sound so often found in propane/natural gas appliances ? If so is is overly loud or distracting? Especially when I "high" ? Thanks!

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
I think the Fire Dancer has a great fire appearance but I didn't want any LPG unit that had vermiculite. That stuff can make a mess if it spills. Little Red only uses logs, no vermiculite.

At a festival last fall we used Little Red for the first time. It was cold and we even had snow and hail. We put Little Red under our EZup type canopy and used three wind walls. It did a good job of warming the area under the canopy.

Another great advantage is we could light it for instant heat or turn it off when we wanted to walk through the festival again. A wood campfire takes an hour or so to get some coals and a good fire going and you can't just turn it off when done.

Fire dancers lid screws on. Even if you turn it upside down anything in the inside isn't going anywhere.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I think the Fire Dancer has a great fire appearance but I didn't want any LPG unit that had vermiculite. That stuff can make a mess if it spills. Little Red only uses logs, no vermiculite.

At a festival last fall we used Little Red for the first time. It was cold and we even had snow and hail. We put Little Red under our EZup type canopy and used three wind walls. It did a good job of warming the area under the canopy.

Another great advantage is we could light it for instant heat or turn it off when we wanted to walk through the festival again. A wood campfire takes an hour or so to get some coals and a good fire going and you can't just turn it off when done.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is a "Fire Dancer" propane unit and it works well when you can't have an actual fire in your campsite.. As in this pic... This State Park does not have fire rings in the sites, because of how close the sites are to each other...

But, you can have propane fires.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Works great and puts off a good amount of heat too.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought one of these.

The 4th of July was drizzly so we pulled it under the awning, and enjoyed sitting outside at a campground.

We don't go to campgrounds often, we mainly boondock, so fire bans are something we have to consider. This works great for that situation too.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
We have the 'Little Red Campfire' and like it. Similar to 'Campfire in a Can' but a lot less $$.

Same here...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I'll sell you mine for half the price of Amazon. I liked it but never use it anymore.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`