cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August camping! Thank goodness school is back in session!

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Getting the trailer ready for later this month. Most schools go back in session the last couple of weeks in August! Less hassle, less folks! Just booked a few nights lake side at a local lake for some relaxation, quiet time and non crowded fishing!!
Last time we were out was the end of May,, had a mishap and wife slipped, broke her arm and has since been in rehab.
Was concerned she would not want to go out again, but I showed her the reservation and she was excited to go!!
Fingers crossed we get back into this!!
14 REPLIES 14

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
I feel your pain,, we went thru the "All Year 'round" thing out here, Between working for the Fire Department and having vacations limited due to wild land fires, then having two kids in one school and the older kid in a different school,, We did not vacation for a few years because the schedules did not line up!
Then sports took priority, Kids and mine, between the costs and schedules we were running the wheels off the family van, only able to tent camp and fish one or two weekends during the summer (Thank goodness we can camp all year around where I live). We used to rent trailers and motor homes so we could go explore and camp!
Well, now thats past us and we look forward to camping during the week when the camp sites are thin with visitors! Also,, prices are allot less during "Off Season".
I gotta say now looking back on all that,,,,,,It sure did seem like forever at the time,,,but It went away in the blink of an eye and I would do it all over again!

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Actually schools have been starting earlier do to "in service days meaning no kids but teachers etc are in school" plus a week for Thankgiving break , two weeks for Christmas break , one-two weeks for spring break. I'm sure I've missed a few days off for this or that ! Kids are are suppose to be in class so many days a year, with all these days off, they have to start earlier and or get out later in June...

My better half is a 10 month employee at a high school, her last last of work was June 7th 4 days after the kids were out, she goes back to work this Monday July 31 . Kids are back in school on Aug 10th ...

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
DiskDoctr wrote:
NOOOOoooOOO!!!!!

We get very little family time for camping and Summer is our time. No way do we want to think about school starting yet! :E 😞

You're on the wrong site bud! This is geezervnet.com, lol.
I hear ya. "Summer" was about 3 weeks this year. Kids out June 27 (thanks stupid re tarded Washington public schools for your ever worse schedules). Got a 5 day camping trip, week of nothing , followed by a week vacation with the inlaws (barf.....but it was fun for the kids to hang with their cousins) and now football and soccer are in full swing. 9 practices a week between 2 kids M-F. 2 soccer tournaments between now and end of August ( that start on Friday's because apparently people don't need to work up here....) and Fball jamboree last weekend in Aug. school starts thurs before Labor Day!

And the hockey coach is bugging me for one of them to "make it to the practices he can this summer even though I said it's ok that he won't skate w the team until football is over ".....
Hard to find time to find time to spend a the kids!

I like that!! geezernet.com! yeah sorry, I do remember having to time vacation and kids being out of school and sports and all that. I am retired, wife is retired, kids rarely go camping with us so this is OUR time together to reflect. Had new neighbors buy the house next to us and they have a fairly new born, a two year old and a four year old, we are also a block from the elementary school! We like to camp Monday thru Friday to get away from all the craziness!
Its crazy that 25 years ago we moved in here with young kids,, now we are the old folks and watch in amazement the new young families juggling their lives to take care of there families! We feel we earned that badge and have three kids that are leading their own lives now busy with their careers and contemplating starting a family! (No grand kids yet). So for us,, we enjoy OUR time.

Geezervnet! LOL!!!

We were late. We're old enough to be many of our DD's friends' parents' Mom and Dad, LOL.

This summer and last has been short for us, too. DD has taken courses in the summer to graduate early- a year early- this year. So it's a very special summer for us, trying to take time together as a family 😉

I can see the frustrations that come with crowded CGs, especially for those who make this their full time life. But we also enjoy seeing others enjoy their families, too.

So...we're agreed? 3 more months of summer vacation? 😛 🙂

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Headed to TN in a couple weeks. I had looked for sites at state parks for a couple nights enroute and was surprised to see the campgrounds were pretty much empty. After seeing this thread I took a look at the school calendar, they go back Aug 7th! YeeHaa
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
DiskDoctr wrote:
NOOOOoooOOO!!!!!

We get very little family time for camping and Summer is our time. No way do we want to think about school starting yet! :E 😞

I hear ya. "Summer" was about 3 weeks this year. Kids out June 27 (thanks stupid re tarded Washington public schools for your ever worse schedules). Got a 5 day camping trip, week of nothing , followed by a week vacation with the inlaws (barf.....but it was fun for the kids to hang with their cousins) and now football and soccer are in full swing. 9 practices a week between 2 kids M-F. 2 soccer tournaments between now and end of August ( that start on Friday's because apparently people don't need to work up here....) and Fball jamboree last weekend in Aug. school starts thurs before Labor Day!

And the hockey coach is bugging me for one of them to "make it to the practices he can this summer even though I said it's ok that he won't skate w the team until football is over ".....

I like that!! geezernet.com! yeah sorry, I do remember having to time vacation and kids being out of school and sports and all that. I am retired, wife is retired, kids rarely go camping with us so this is OUR time together to reflect. Had new neighbors buy the house next to us and they have a fairly new born, a two year old and a four year old, we are also a block from the elementary school! We like to camp Monday thru Friday to get away from all the craziness!
Its crazy that 25 years ago we moved in here with young kids,, now we are the old folks and watch in amazement the new young families juggling their lives to take care of there families! We feel we earned that badge and have three kids that are leading their own lives now busy with their careers and contemplating starting a family! (No grand kids yet). So for us,, we enjoy OUR time.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
DiskDoctr wrote:
NOOOOoooOOO!!!!!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
NOOOOoooOOO!!!!!

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
National wide most schools seem to be starting September 5, not the last 2 weeks in August.
Not so here. Several schools started back today and a lot more next week.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
National wide most schools seem to be starting September 5, not the last 2 weeks in August.

The latest trend is to start in mid-August so that high schools can get final exams completed before Xmas break. Of course the administrators that approve this don't have to sit in hot classrooms in August.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Still may be pretty hot though. Hope it's a shady spot in the higher elevations.

mitw44
Explorer
Explorer
Schools in NE Oklahoma appear to be starting around August 9th (my particular town) or thereabouts. I grew up in Michigan, and graduated high school in 1983. Back then, schools always started right after labor day. You would think schools in the south, who are always hollering about lack of money, would also start after labor day, when there is less need for air conditioning. But, no, they start in the middle of blazing hot August, so they can run the air conditioning non-stop for the next month.

I also prefer to camp after school starts back. Branson is not far from me, and it is packed during the summer break.
2009 F 250 XLT SC 4x4 3.73 LS 5.4L V8
2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 171 RBXL

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I just retired from teaching. I am thrilled at the prospects of camping from Monday to Friday with no crowds and easy to get reservations. I camp all year long, but the parks can be crazy in the summer!
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
That's good news that your wife is on the mend. I'm professionally unemployed (retired). I enjoy when the kids start heading back to class and the campsites open up, but it's always a reminder that in a few of short months we'll be winterizing our units.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)