cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning in the rain

forrman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 23' Lance TT. It's raining and our awning is still out. I'm going to pull it shut with the electric motor, but wanted to know if anyone has any tips on this.
Forrman
2020 Forest River Wildwood Heritage Glen HL TT
14 REPLIES 14

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two awning companies make most of the awnings used on RV's today (Power that is)

Carefree of Colorado: All I can tell you about these is the name.

A&E, it appears they market these under different names, (IE: Dometic, a related firm) These I can tell you about.

The rear arm has a spring and slide system, if the awning starts getting heavy (RAIN) it shortens a bit and the water runs off.. or you can carefully pull it down but beware if you do this cause NIAGARA FALLS you want to be under the awning, NOT under the water flow.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
We like our stuff dry so we leave it out. It does auto dump but we tilt it from time to time to help it. Once this past season I had to get up and close it because or the wind but it was easy to just push the button.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I have gotten up out of bed several times to roll it up due to winds commin up at night. Makes me take a second look at remote control awnings. We cook outside mainly so leave it out most of the time lowering one end for proper drainage.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
All good advice above....I'm visual - awning in the rain (no wind).
Except we tilt ours AWAY from the entry door.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
As was said......If it`s not windy, leave it out! lower one side. even if it has the auto dump feature keep an eye on it. some of them are not as "auto" as they claim to be! and if you can lower one side, lower it on the downhill side so the water will not be running under your feet.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTPO1 wrote:
agwill wrote:
If the wind is not blowing leave it out.

X2, if you do put it in due to rain and it is wet ensure that when it stops that you put it back out to dry. If you don't let it dry you will most likely have mold problems.

I also like to sit under the awning when we do get rain. It also keeps the area at the door drier than if there was nothing there. JMO

X3
Here in the NW we use them for protection from the rain more than the sun. :B

We hosted for five weeks in August, the awing never came in. Watched the weather reports never strong winds just some healthy breezes!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
If your electric awning does not have the auto rain dump feature, and it is not windy, just lower one side!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure its dry, or open it back up when you get home---Mildew
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
agwill wrote:

X2, if you do put it in due to rain and it is wet ensure that when it stops that you put it back out to dry. If you don't let it dry you will most likely have mold problems.

I also like to sit under the awning when we do get rain. It also keeps the area at the door drier than if there was nothing there. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We leave ours up as well if the wind isn't present. Always a treat for us sitting under the awning and listening to the rain

Ours pooled one time and we couldn't open the trailer door. Finally forced my way out and pushed up o the awning to drain off the water pool. No telling how many gallons of water was there...

The awning material must be super strong...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
If it isn't too windy, we always leave the awning out in the rain. Angle it to let the water run off -- check it though, sometimes you have to angle it more than you think or the water can still pool on top. Also choose which side to let the water run off, as it can be a lot of water and you don't want it all pooling in front of your door.

If you don't already have them, get a set of "de-flappers". Clamps with velcro that attach halfway along the side supports to help prevent the awning from flapping in wind.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
The awning should be able to tilt to one side. We always tilt ours to the low side of the sight so water will drian away. On ours there is a small black knob on the support arm, pull the arm in and tighten down the knob. Make sure you release the arm before retracting the awning. I've had ours out in major downpours and never had an issue.

Good luck and happy camping.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Quahog
Explorer
Explorer
If you can tilt the awning on one end, do that and it will let the water drain off better.
--Mike, Sue, Buddy, Sissy and Little Man

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 Diesel CC DRW
2014 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 BHS (sold)
2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RSTS
B&W RVK3300 20k

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
al