cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning rail info

dpkimmel2001
Explorer
Explorer
I just took delivery of a new RV. We intend on purchasing some slide toppers next spring. I notice that on our RV, over the top of the slides there is a rain gutter rather than the awning rail made to accept the slide topper. I guess that I've always been under the impression that all RV's came ready to install the slide toppers.

I've got to mount some awning rails above the slides. I have 3 slides, 86", 144" & 157". My question is, are those awning rails on your RV all a single piece or are they multiple pieces on the longer runs? I haven't been able to find awning rails long enough to run the entire length of those two longer slides. Do any of you know where to purchase those longer runs?
2013 Raptor 300MP
2008 GMC 2500 6.6 DMax SuperCrew
7 REPLIES 7

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
The rail is a standard aluminum extrusion shape, consequently, any metal supply house that handles extruded aluminum shapes will have that extrusion in stock or can get it in mill length, which is usually 21 feet. Outfits like Ryerson or Alro will have it available.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
There is an exception that got me- if you custom order a non stock length from Dometic, it doesn't come with rail, as they consider that an OEM order, the OP' sizes should be stock, though, so no worries.
-- Chris Bryant

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
slide toppers come with the proper rail when you order them

dpkimmel2001
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Most slide toppers come with the rail.

Thanks, didn't realize that. I've never ordered them before.
2013 Raptor 300MP

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Most slide toppers come with the rail.
-- Chris Bryant

dpkimmel2001
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Our 14' slide topper has a single piece combined awning rail and gutter. All-rite.com has them in 16' lengths, although they cut them in half for standard ground shipping. They can ship full length by freight though.

Awning rails

PPL also carries awning rail, but only in 8" lengths:

Awning rail

Thanks for that quick reply including the links.

Do you thing there is any problem splicing two separate pieces together? Obviously a single piece would be ideal but I'm guessing the shipping would be outrageous.
2013 Raptor 300MP

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our 14' slide topper has a single piece combined awning rail and gutter. All-rite.com has them in 16' lengths, although they cut them in half for standard ground shipping. They can ship full length by freight though.

Awning rails

PPL also carries awning rail, but only in 8" lengths:

Awning rail
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate