cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Barker 3500VIP quit working

plumber1
Explorer
Explorer
Worked alright this morning, then tonight just grunts but won't lower or raise. Hand crank works fine. I have 12.67 volts. Anyone know of any common failures on this model?

Thanks for any help
6 REPLIES 6

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
My Barker started giving me fits on the down travel. I thought if it ever went bad it would be UP since that is when it is moving the weight. I thought it might need some more lubrication since it had never happened to me before.

I called Barker customer service - which is great, BTW - and the nice woman I talked to immediately told me it was the switch. She said the design is bad and they fail a lot. She also told me DO NOT open the head for lubrication as it would cause more problems than it solves and said the lube from the factory will last a lifetime. She put a new switch in the mail, I had it in three days and it was on the jack and working fine the next day.

Now if they would just re-design what they know is bad.......
Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, long bed, 4.10โ€™s
2021 Coachman Chaparral Lite 25 RE
2011 Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 23BW - retired
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired

blkdodge
Explorer
Explorer
cheap and easy fix's. That's what I like although I never seem to have any.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.

plumber1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. After checking a little further I bypassed the switch and found it to be defective. Ordered a new switch from Barker and installed it earlier today and works like a champ again. No visible signs of water intrusion, apparently just failed internally.

2007 Jayco Jayfeather 29N
2000 F350 XLT SD SC SRW 6.8 V-10:B
Barker 3500 VIP
Kipor 3000i
2 6 volts for juice :B

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a Barker if you change direction without letting the motor come to a complete stop it will blow a fuse. You might want to check your fuse.

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
The jack is grounded through contact with the trailer frame. Check for corrosion. Just a possibility. I once bought a new wheel chair lift to replace one that I thought was bad only to find out it was just a poor ground.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a poor electrical connection is a possibility.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X