cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bathroom Smell

Wilson123
Explorer
Explorer
Any tips for eliminating the odor in a bathroom. I had my tank all flushed out and follow all the rules on water and tank chemicals but still get an odor. I also put those air wicks on the counter but it doesn't eliminate it.
15 REPLIES 15

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
While you're checking out all the possibilities, add some bleach to your black tank and the gray tank.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Wilson123 wrote:
Thanks everyone. Putting water in the bowl and shower seemed to fix the problem.

You should ALWAYS keep water in the bowl; helps to keep the seal from drying out.

As for the shower, if it is not used very often....or at all, a piece of flexible magnetic "cardboard" might work better, assuming the drain cover is magnetic metal, that is.

Wilson123
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Putting water in the bowl and shower seemed to fix the problem.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Also make sure the P-trap in the shower has water in it. The P-traps are fairly shallow and the water can drain out during travel.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

DonP
Explorer
Explorer
If the vacuum breaker doesn't help, try this. Some toilets have an overflow port high in the bowl, it has a built in trap that will dry out an cause an odor. Fill the bowl completely to the top this will refill the overflow trap. Good luck.
Don

Wilson123
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I'll checkthat out.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
This also could be a sign of mold growth due to a slight leakage around the base of the bowl.....or elsewhere in the bathroom area.

If all else fails, you might want to take the stool up and see what's under there. And a good inspection with a strong light under the sink too.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
lots of water.....and make sure your bathroom vent fan is not running when flushing, it will pull odors up.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Try washing the toilet also. If it's not china, but plastic, that may be your issue. I now wash the toilet every time I dump and while the tank is rinsing.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
x96mnn wrote:
Is that the part that's on top of the pipe?

Yes...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
tkcas01 wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
Look under the sink your vacuum breaker might be bad.Does the toilet hold water in it?

This it often the cause of such odors, and in fact coming from the grey tank. There is typically an "auto vent" near the sink, the lav(s) and washer area. Even if your rig is plumbed for a washer and does not have one, it may still have an auto vent in place for it.

They do go bad over time and let air from the tank back into the RV. You can get them at any home improvement retailer.

Is that the part that's on top of the pipe?

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
Look under the sink your vacuum breaker might be bad.Does the toilet hold water in it?

This it often the cause of such odors, and in fact coming from the grey tank. There is typically an "auto vent" near the sink, the lav(s) and washer area. Even if your rig is plumbed for a washer and does not have one, it may still have an auto vent in place for it.

They do go bad over time and let air from the tank back into the RV. You can get them at any home improvement retailer.

Roaming Full Timer

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Check your seals and ensure you have a good bowl seal of water when opening the trap quickly. We did 5 days this weekend without chemicals and were fine. We have ALWAYS used chemicals prior but read of many saying they are not necessary provided we had good seals, it held water and we kind of caused a seal with the water as we opened and flushed quick. Worked like a charm and no odour all weekend. Proved to us we can operate without chemicals which at the end of the day only mask over the smell but it's still kind of there underlying when using chemicals or air freshers anyway.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Double post