cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery going out this soon?

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
My camper trailer is just 6 months old. Did not saw reason to buy and install a 2nd battery.. Went camping for a week and battery never once discharged even on 4 straight days of use with no recharging.

This last few days, I noticed that lights dimmed even after I connected ihe RV to house outlet overnight where battery is supposedly fully charged.

Today I run the generator and when I left, I checked and it was 3/4 full. There is no extra load on the RV aside from the usual LED lights that Iโ€™m siure weโ€™ve all turned off. And no one was left inside to trigger he running of water pump. But after 3 hours outside the battery indicator is flickering and none of the LED lights would turn on.

Yes, I have an extended warranty from Good Sam but want to check first if Iโ€™m doing something wrong that might have caused the battery to quickly drain.
19 REPLIES 19

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Man i feel for you.

I just replaced the bat in my 5er. It had an 09 date on it.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Forgot too the conventional wisdom among scientists. That if you are finding solution to a problem, look at the simplest first. The advice I got, first, check the terminal connections if loose and 2nd, check the battery if it's gone bad."

Actually you need to check the converter output to the battery before you assume the battery is at fault. It may be shot now, but the base cause could be that it wasn't being charged due to the converter not operating as it should.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Need a voltage reading or hydrometer to verify full charge.
Good chance the battery has never been fully charged and has sulfated.
Very common in part-time RV use.

The 12 Volt Side of Life

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Again, thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

Learned a lot about batteries in so short a time. Forgot that we have an electrical engineer and someone who works on batteries (Tesla), lol.

Forgot too the conventional wisdom among scientists. That if you are finding solution to a problem, look at the simplest first. The advice I got, first, check the terminal connections if loose and 2nd, check the battery if it's gone bad.

And my problem indeed is the battery. As my in-house expert said, 2 to 5% of those will be bad right out of the factory floor -- and unfortunately, a few will not be detected in quality control and testing and will end up in our hands and mess up our time under the trees and with the mountains.

Lwiddis is right, batteries have life cycles and will die if it reach it's limit. Our RV's deep cycle batteries are meant to go on deep discharge, hence, the name, duh. It is not supposed to die or go bad immediately if it's fully discharged, but the deeper the discharge, the shorter the life cycle. Extreme heat is also the enemy and so as residues falling at the bottom and accumulating to touch plates.

And yesterday was the more difficult task. I must have made more than a dozen calls to the CW dealer, salesman, service department, Dutchmen (manufacturer), battery dealer... for anyone to honor their warranty.

In desperation, end of the rope post for, Ella/Ask Marcus. Wish me luck!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You didn't get anywhere close to a full charge in two hours.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You did not "get it full" in two hours of genset time, I can almost garentee .
-- Chris Bryant

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œand got it full in 2-hour run.โ€œ

Your battery was not filled after a two hour generator run. The absorption phase takes longer than that amount of time. How long after you stopped charging did you take the reading? How did you take the reading?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
the voltage gauge supplied in most rv's is not a good indicator of state of charge on your battery try testing it when the water pump is running and the battery has a load on it.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
if you had been recharging your battery every day and not let it discharge so deeply in the first 4 days you would not be having this problem.
you are damaging the battery every time you let it get that low evan at home in storage.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Yes, doubt 2 hours took your battery from zero to hero.
Make a dedicated effort to fully charge the battery and then see what happens. This is more likely a case of not understanding your power usage and what it takes to recharge.

Or you may have cooked the battery and now it's weak.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
bikendan wrote:
you don't seem to know about the many parasitic power drains in modern RVs.
they can drain a single battery in just a few days, if not hooked up to shore power.
not sure what you're using to say that the battery didn't discharge for 4 straight days of usage, that doesnt' make any sense. any battery will lose power after that many days.

He means the battery lasted 4 days the last time camping and now won't even take a charge. But thanks for being critical of his explanation.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
RTCastillow,

What converter is in the RV?

Do you have a volt meter or a multimeter?

A two hour generator run may not be enough to get anywhere near a full charge.

Did you check the shore power outlet to make sure it is working?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the useful comments and insightful suggestions and recommendations. Iโ€™ll do those things you recommended once weโ€™re back to civilization next week.

Meanwhile as an update, battery did retain some charge with the use of generator and got it full in 2-hour run. We did use it for lights and of course water pump in automatics. Shut all lights off by 10pm and by morning itโ€™s down to less than 25%.

Again, I appreciate your responses and suggestions.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are legitimate reasons for exceeding the 50% โ€œmagicโ€ number re DOD. An RVer doesnโ€™t have room for more batteries and/or doesnโ€™t want the extra weight but does not wish to reduce his/her electric use trades that decision for fewer cycles. Fewer cycles isnโ€™t โ€œdamage,โ€ itโ€™s more โ€œhard use.โ€
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad