cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bears!!! Yosemite, Can I wake this thread up?

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
Question to those who have been to Yosemite and surounding area with their RV of whatever sort, do you empty all the contents that a bear might smell into one of the "bear boxes" provided to prevent a break in by a bear? I'm currious because I'd like to venture into that area but I have no idea of what to expect when it comes to bears. How agressive are they and near any "sanctioned" camp grounds, how prolific are they?
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon
31 REPLIES 31

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the report!

I love Yosemite and miss living 120 miles away but I admit I don't miss having to track down kids french fries and gum wrappers. I left an ice chest in the back of my truck in the middle of the day for a short hike thinking all the traffic midday wouldn't matter. Had a nasty note from Rangers and had to go to station to recover my ice chest! Took my lashing and they were nice about it. I knew more about the gators than bears at that point in my CA days.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we're back from Yosemite! First time ever visiting the park, well worth the trip! I asked some questions earlier in the thread about the bear boxes and trailer length restrictions. Well, on the bear boxes for food storage. As our Ranger explained, for our RV (TT) he said that we are allowed to keep all our food in the TT but we must keep everything within arms reach (for cooking outside) and everything needs to be put away right away.

As far as the TT length restrictions, it's as PawPaw_n_Gram said. Their primary concern is getting both TV & TT in the space. We barely fit length wise with fitting our TV in the space too. The some of the spaces are very tight for backing in but with my short wheel base TV I was able to do it. I'da had my hands full with a full sized P/U truck.

Anyhow I'm glad we made the trip, looking forward to going again. Much to see and do.
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
E&J push'n wind wrote:
How strictly do they enforce the vehicle length rule? I find it curious that you can bring up to a 35' motorhome or 5th wheel trailer but you are limited to a 24' travel trailer. What gives? I read the "disclaimer" about maneuverability and all but IMHO that is pretty lame. Anyway, will they turn you away if you show up with something longer than a 24' TT? Anyone have any experience with that? I'd be curious to know.

Some of the restrictions have to do with the turning radius, or the width of the road where you have to make the turn to back-in or parking space length.

A 5th wheel will turn sharper than a TT of the same length. However, I've not seen any thing that says 35' 5er and 24' TT

limits for the same CG. Only 35' RV and 24' trailer limits. Those spots are usually limited for trailers because they also figure the TV length.

A motorhome may not turn sharper than a trailer of the same length, but will take less room in the parking spot than a TV and trailer. A motorhome will not swing as wide across the road when backing into a camping spot 90 degrees from the road.

One complaint I've seen about Yosemite several times is that the spot was big enough for the 5er/TT, but because of the narrow road and/or the rocks/ trees at the entrance of the camping spot - they did not have room to turn the trailer back into the camping spot. Hopefully you are booked into a spot with a 'double driveway' which will have room to park the TV next to the trailer, and a wider than 8' entrance to back into.

The only people I've heard of being turned away of those whose rig and TV did not fit completely into the parking spot.

PawPaw_n_Gram,

I can fully appreciate what you are saying. I've been in some of those "jams" where the TT would fit but it was a chore backing it in. I have a short WB TV (123") so I've been able to get into spaces that someone with a full sized P/U might have had their hands full trying to back into.

I asked the question because I know a lot of times it just depends on the "attendant" on post. You know the type, "officer Tackleberry" (Police Academy) enforcer vs. Your vehicle, your responsibility. I know out here in So Cal some of the State Beaches and Parks have a 24' TT length restriction too but it is not strictly enforced. I've seen 30' and 35' TT's in some of those parks, I don't know why they post the length restrictions unless it is to discourage the faint of heart or discourage those that are challenged when it comes to backing in. I'm sure they have their reasons.

Anyway, thanks for the reply's. I've got a voice mail to them that I've not heard back yet. I want to ask them first hand so I can make other arrangements if necessary.

JaxDad wrote:
It's likely nothing more than CYA. They do the same with some Provincial Parks up here.

If you ask them they say it's so people who can't drive don't scream at them when they scrape up their unit on a tree.

That makes sense, I've been there., done that though it wasn't bad. Just some "abraisions" from some strong rub marks from trees. Nothing to bad, I've done it before off roading back in the day with my 82 Datsun PU and 91 Toy 4Runner.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie, you can come south.. Gators aren't anywhere near as bad as these folks are making bears sound.. I am now very concerned about being in bear country.. and I have canoed right past gators in the river here.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Never had too much trouble with bears in the valley but have had some long nights of defensive combat in the back country..
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, I'm such a pig I will never be able to come to bear country. There is no way I'm ever going to get every spilt chip and drop of pop out of my truck. Not to mention I would be too afraid to bring my pets.

I don't think I'm ever going to alligator country either but, at least they won't smell out a single French fry.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
If you're in the West Yellowstone area, stop in at the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center. They specialize in dealing with problem bears. They even test bear boxes using real bears to see if they really work. Its not only fun to watch, but a lesson for humans while at a safe distance. I've seen them tear into a poorly designed bear box like it was made out of cardboard.
Its always good to remember that we humans have invaded the bears' territory. The folks at the center will actually move a problem bear into a far away wilderness area. If the bear returns, they get shipped to a zoo. Its a non-profit and they accept contributions. I send them money every year. Its deductible.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
E&J push'n wind wrote:
How strictly do they enforce the vehicle length rule? I find it curious that you can bring up to a 35' motorhome or 5th wheel trailer but you are limited to a 24' travel trailer. What gives? I read the "disclaimer" about maneuverability and all but IMHO that is pretty lame. Anyway, will they turn you away if you show up with something longer than a 24' TT? Anyone have any experience with that? I'd be curious to know.

Some of the restrictions have to do with the turning radius, or the width of the road where you have to make the turn to back-in or parking space length.

A 5th wheel will turn sharper than a TT of the same length. However, I've not seen any thing that says 35' 5er and 24' TT limits for the same CG. Only 35' RV and 24' trailer limits. Those spots are usually limited for trailers because they also figure the TV length.

A motorhome may not turn sharper than a trailer of the same length, but will take less room in the parking spot than a TV and trailer. A motorhome will not swing as wide across the road when backing into a camping spot 90 degrees from the road.

One complaint I've seen about Yosemite several times is that the spot was big enough for the 5er/TT, but because of the narrow road and/or the rocks/ trees at the entrance of the camping spot - they did not have room to turn the trailer back into the camping spot. Hopefully you are booked into a spot with a 'double driveway' which will have room to park the TV next to the trailer, and a wider than 8' entrance to back into.

The only people I've heard of being turned away of those whose rig and TV did not fit completely into the parking spot.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's likely nothing more than CYA. They do the same with some Provincial Parks up here.

If you ask them they say it's so people who can't drive don't scream at them when they scrape up their unit on a tree.

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
TOOBOLD wrote:
Which campground will you be staying at?

We have a reservation for North Pines in April which brings me to another question for those who have camped anywhere in the park. How strictly do they enforce the vehicle length rule? I find it curious that you can bring up to a 35' motorhome or 5th wheel trailer but you are limited to a 24' travel trailer. What gives? I read the "disclaimer" about maneuverability and all but IMHO that is pretty lame. Anyway, will they turn you away if you show up with something longer than a 24' TT? Anyone have any experience with that? I'd be curious to know.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
The last two time we've camped at Yosemite we have seen bear activity. The first one was the most interesting. Yogi was in someone Honda Civic and tossing all kinds of things out the window. The second time mom and cub were roaming around the visitors center.

We always use the bear boxes for the ice chests. Toothpaste along with scented toiletries are usually kept in a Ziploc bag to reduce any scent. I check out the truck really well to make sure nothing is left between the seats and I also roll up the truck bed cover. I'd hate to have that ripped up by a curious bear.

Which campground will you be staying at?

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Bears in Yosemite now associate mini-vans with food (most likely left by children). They can rip the door off with one swipe of their claws. 'Splain that to your insurance adjuster.

Woman was God's second mistake. Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzche
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

campingliz
Explorer
Explorer
By the way, seeing a bear doing natural bear stuff in the wild is an amazing, breath taking experience.

campingliz
Explorer
Explorer
Some of these answers refer to Yosemite and others to Yellowstone. We have camped at both - Yosemite many times. The ranger at Yellowstone told us that their bears "had not yet learned those Yosemite tricks."

In Yosemite we are very careful to keep all food out of sight, blinds down and windows/vents closed if we are away from the hard sided RV. No trash, garbage or recyclables are left in the rig. I clean the kitchen area carefully before we leave home, and then do all the cooking outside. Bears not only have an amazing sense of smell, but Yosemite bears have also learned visual clues, like storage boxes, coolers, and grocery bags.

Yes, bears do break into hard sided RVs, but only when a smell or sight trigger is obvious (the example we were given was that someone left a box of food on the counter next to the window.)

When we tent camped, absolutely everything (including toiletries and citronella candles) went into the bear box. Same when we moved to a tent trailer.

We have had many exciting bear encounters, but over the years, the encounters now tend to be more natural and less often in the campground. Bears have to be destroyed when they become aggressive about people food. Keep your stuff in the bear box and save a bear's life!

Happy Camping!