cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bent coupler pin

rrev
Explorer
Explorer
I have a travel trailer that weighs over 9000 lbs being towed by a 2500 hd Silverado. I noticed that the pin in the hitch coupler on the trailer is getting bent. It's a Master Lock locking pin. How and why would it bend?
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB
2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2007 Starcraft Homestead 282DBS (Retired)
8 REPLIES 8

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Sounds like you didn't have the coupler down on the ball properly, and the only thing that kept you from losing the trailer was the WD system holding it in place. Just a guess but there is no force on the pin when properly coupled.

X-2
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Ask which WD Hitch system you have?

If Andersen, that might be the cause/reason. Here are a couple old threads on the Andersen WD Hitch system. Still think it will over stress coupler latch assemblies and Andersen has subsequently listed one type is NOT to be used with their WD Hitch System

Anyone know which coupler latch type Andersen says is NOT to be used with their WD Hitch system?

As the Andersen WD Hitch system pulls the trailer load on the couple latch assembly...NOT...the front of the coupler dome as most all others do (and is how the coupler is designed to handle the tow/pull forces...on the front of the coupler dome)

Original thread where we first discussed the Andersen WD Hitch system
First tow with Andersen hitch & 9,000+ lbs TT 2012April21

Follow up thread
Andersen Hitch Revisited

But, still unsure which pin is bent, so a picture would be helpful

Here are a couple cross-section images of coupler latch systems

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
rrev wrote:
I'm talking about the 1/4 inch one "on the trailer"

Wow... OK something is not right.

Does your coupler look like this? If not, please post as this is a new problem I have not heard of.

That is a common ball coupler on many TT's.

The inside looks like this. There are no adjustable parts. This pic is the fully locked position

Unlatched. The 1/4" pin will not go in

Latched. The 1/4" pin will go in

I cannot 100% remember, I will have to test this today but I "thought" you could only put the 1/4" pin in when the coupler is fully latched. Meaning as you slide the latch forward, the pin hole will only open up fully when the latch is locked. If you are using a full 1/4" lock, well something is really not right with your coupler. This could be a real issue when towing.

Let us know what style/brand coupler you have. Pics would be great! Your camper is way to heavy and too new to have the real old style couplers that you can adjust the back side ball seat.

This one is a good learning post. Let us help you work through this so we can both learn.

Do you feel any, chucking, clunking or slop when you start or stop?

Do you (and can you) hitch the camper to the truck and then raise the tongue jack when hooking up and you lift both the truck and the camper way up high to put the WD bars on? If the coupler is not fully locking, this method/test should help uncouple the system. This is close to a drag test on a 5'er.

Have you bent just the 1 lock or several? Even 1 bent one is an issue. Has this happened since the camper was new?

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Bedlam
Your ball coupler is not properly latching down. The pin was the only thing keeping it from coming off the ball. Examine your coupler for damage or readjust the pawl that locks against the ball.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you didn't have the coupler down on the ball properly, and the only thing that kept you from losing the trailer was the WD system holding it in place. Just a guess but there is no force on the pin when properly coupled.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you using a WD hitch?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rrev
Explorer
Explorer
I'm talking about the 1/4 inch one "on the trailer"
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB
2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2007 Starcraft Homestead 282DBS (Retired)

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
rrev wrote:
I noticed that the pin in the hitch coupler on the trailer is getting bent. It's a Master Lock locking pin. How and why would it bend?

You said, the pin in the hitch coupler? Do you mean the ball coupler that is 1/4" dia or are you talking about the truck receiver pin that holds the WD hitch shank in place, the 5/8" dia pin?

Assuming you mean the 5/8" receiver pin, are you using a 2 1/2" to 2" adapter in the receiver? If so, this has been a reported problem of bending the 5/8 pin.

Also, the 2 1/2 to 2 adapter derates the allowed tongue weight, in most cases 1,200#

Let us know what pin and if you are using the 2 1/2 to 2 adapter.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.