cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best car for towing pop-up

caby33
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a starcraft 1701, which weighs around 1500 lbs. Know I must get a car to tow it. I was thinking about getting a 4 cyl. But i've been told a 6 cyl would be best. Does anyone have a suggestion about which car would be best. I do about 70% highway driving.
13 REPLIES 13

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
An overworked 4cyl won't last long. A moderately worked V6 would be happier. Many minivans have low tow capacity. Research the particular model of Subaru you are interested in. There is a possible class action lawsuit in progress.

Subaru clicky

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Subaru 3.6L H6 and tow a teardrop trailer that is about 1600#. Yes I could tow with a 4 but the mountains out west would have been impossible. I do btw have a transmission cooler added.

notruffinit
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled our popup many miles with our minivans and a Ford Explorer. What really made the difference was when I picked up a WDH for little $ it really made a difference when pulling with the front wheel drive. Plenty of power with the V-6.
'11 Ram 3500 Cummins
'12 Cameo 34SB3

1oldtruck
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f72/4-cylinder-vehicle-towing-power-and-millage-45890.html

Here is a thread about 4 cylinder vehicles used for towing. You might find it useful.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled one for years with an old rear wheel drive Crown Vic, then we got an Explorer with a 6 cylinder and it worked just as well. I don't think a 4 cylinder would be that great when you got it loaded.

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
The new Mazda cx5 or the cx7 with the turbo would work well.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
A 4 cylinder engine can handle a popup of a couple thousand lbs ok, but there's more to towing than that. You want adequate engine and transmission cooling, a transmission that isn't marginal, good brakes, a receiver attachment that is strong enough to not tear in actual use, and adequate rear suspension.

Some people tow popups of that size with a Subaru. They have a couple of models with 2700 lb tow rating, but only 200 lb allowed hitch weight. This will force you to be careful with how you load the popup with cargo so as not to exceed this limitation. But it can be done, and is done. If you tow a whole lot or tow with excessive speed (over 60 mph, but slower up grades), the life of the drive train components could be compromised.

I've been there and done that. I towed a 13' UHaul 'egg' travel trailer 2000 miles on a vacation back in the '80s, using a 1984 Dodge Omni 2.2L 4 cyl with stick shift. Under 100 hp, so we were driving 50 mph in 3rd gear much of the time. Did we have a fun time? Yes. Would I do that again? No.

You will be more satisfied in the long run if you have some excess capability in the tow vehicle, as opposed to running on the ragged edge. Some good vehicles to consider (assuming you are looking at new models) would be Ford Escape with 2L turbo, Jeep Cherokee V6, Hyundai Santa Fe V6, Honda Odyssey, Dodge Grand Caravan. As kvangil said, anything with a tow rating of 3500 lb or more should be good.

My Highlander hardly knows that my 1400 lb (dry) popup is behind it.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We towed our pop up with a 6 cylinder SUV (Ford Explorer). Worked great as a tower and as a daily driver.

Whatever you get, make sure it has a factory towing package..
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
There are plenty of vehicles with a 3500lb tow rating. Any of those should work.
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my TT with a toyota highlander with tow package, rated for 5,000 lbs. a nice vehicle on the road and plenty of power.
bumpy

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum and congrat's on yer new camper.

Whatever you end up buying as your tow vehicle, buy one that is rated for and capable of towing your campers gross vehicle weight rating as stated by the manufacturer. That is, what your camper's max rated allowable weight when loaded. There is a sticker somewhere on your camper that will give you this information about your camper. My rule of thumb has alway's been to tow our camper's with a tow vehicle rated to tow 20% more than our camper's GVWR. For example: Your new trailer may weigh 1500lbs empty on the scale, but it's GVWR may be 2000 lbs. You would look for a tow vehicle capable of towing 2400 lbs or 20% over your camper's GVWR of 2000 lbs. I like overkill and your tow vehicle will love you for it. Good luck.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
I used a dodge magnum with a 3.5 v6 to tow a similar size popup with good results. The car is big enough not to get pulled around but still provide ok mileage.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
A Minivan would be the best IMHO.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad