cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best hitch opinions

Macattack
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a used 2012 Ford E350 Super Duty. It did not come equipped with a hitch, and now I'm shopping. I have no idea as to quality, build, etc... I'm looking for opinions as to the best as far as quality. Our trailer is a 20' Sunline, equipped with a Hensley Arrow. I'm looking at a Class IV hitch. Any opinions appreciated TIA.

Rob Mac
Rob and Cindy

2012 Ford E350 Super Duty 5.4
2006 Sunline T2075
Hensley Arrow Connecting, Brakes Controlled with Prodigy
16 REPLIES 16

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
But why is it the US RV manufacturers turn out such substandard products?

Lack of competition. Keystone, Thor, and Forest River own everything, and they seem to all be on the same page: Lowest price possible, and quality be damned. Most people use their RVs a half dozen times a season if that. They aren't going to shell out twice as much for a Grand Design, or 5x as much for an Airstream, just so it can sit in their back yard 90% of the time. They're going to buy the cheapest thing they can get.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
I would go with a Curt hitch. I had one on my 2002 F250 for many years towing with a Hensley. It was a strong reliable hitch.
Barney

I agree, as they do make quality products like this that ARE US Made unlike their Chinese made 5er hitches. Their ball mounts are US Made also.
Our Chinese-made Reese/Drawtite DC WDH has been great. Except for the plating layer which seems to be only one atom thick and rust is everywhere and now looks like shat, pffft...

Somewhat related, I was thinking about US-made stuff earlier today. Used to be that US-made products were at the top of the totem pole without question. The gold standard. Cream of the crop. Everything else a distant 2nd. But why is it the US RV manufacturers turn out such substandard products? Sad!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarneyS wrote:
I would go with a Curt hitch. I had one on my 2002 F250 for many years towing with a Hensley. It was a strong reliable hitch.
Barney

I agree, as they do make quality products like this that ARE US Made unlike their Chinese made 5er hitches. Their ball mounts are US Made also.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever hitch you find, see if you can find one where the tubes extend through the side plates. this isn't necessary, but makes for a very strong hitch.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Macattack wrote:
Thanks to all. I did end up ordering the Curt. I liked the closed ends as opposed to the open ended tube on the DrawTite. Thanks again.

I've had several Curt products over the last 15 years and have been very satisfied with the quality. Also, I have purchased many things from ETrailer.com and have always found them to have competitive prices and excellent customer service.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Macattack
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. I did end up ordering the Curt. I liked the closed ends as opposed to the open ended tube on the DrawTite. Thanks again.
Rob and Cindy

2006 Sunline T2075

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your choices appear to be Curt or DrawTite. You can't go wrong with either.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Macattack
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I am looking for the "hitch" that gets attached to the tow vehicle. I already have the "hitch" that is attached to the trailer. Probably should have made that more clear in my original post.
Rob and Cindy

2006 Sunline T2075

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Holy lexical or formal semantics Batman......:S

The Hensley is a hitch, and the large steel piece attached to the frame of the tow vehicle is also a hitch, of which the reciever is typically a part of, usually and hopefully welded to the hitch in the center if it's your lucky day.

At least E trailer, Eastern Marine, and every other retailer or manufacturer calls that piece attached to the tow vehicle frame a hitch, the same as Reese or Equalizer calls their WD products a hitch.

Toemotto Sandwich?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
by the way, what you want is a hitch RECEIVER.
your Hensley is the hitch.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Macattack wrote:
Thanks. I was looking at that hitch at the etrailer site but wasn't sure about the company. I had never heard of them before this. Thanks again, I will give that serious consideration. etrailer ends up being cheaper than Amazon, as well.

Rob Mac

Don't forget to check with local trailer/truck accessory dealers. Sometimes they're competitive, and they'll install it too.
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Macattack
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I was looking at that hitch at the etrailer site but wasn't sure about the company. I had never heard of them before this. Thanks again, I will give that serious consideration. etrailer ends up being cheaper than Amazon, as well.

Rob Mac
Rob and Cindy

2006 Sunline T2075

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-14055-Class-Trailer-Hitch/dp/B001NJDKT0
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine