cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best internet options

Flyin38
Explorer
Explorer
Now that we have become full-timers we need some better internet options. We need SECURE internet as my wife deals with securities. It needs to be reliable. Expense isn't an issue since it is a write off. More looking for reliability and availability. Any suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
These folks do a good job, they have a video on the subject too if you look around.

technomadia
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
Flyin38 wrote:
Now that we have become full-timers we need some better internet options. We need SECURE internet as my wife deals with securities. It needs to be reliable. Expense isn't an issue since it is a write off. More looking for reliability and availability. Any suggestions?

As another poster mentioned, you want to run a VPN on her devices. This way, if she is on public wifi, she is still encrypted as long as the VPN is running.

VPN service from Openvpn.net
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

MrWizard
my guess..
shes already working thru a VPN

this will not change,
only the method of connecting to the internet will change
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I also think you should use a Verizon hot spot. You can secure it with a password so no one else can use the hot spot. However, if the transmission between you and everyone else needs to be secure, you need to take other precautions that have nothing to do with the hot spot. You need to have software that will encrypt the traffic between you and your destination. If you working in finance, this is normally provided in the software you are using. If you are working with sensitive data on a web site, the site should use https to encrypt the data between you and the server.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer

Best spot for tech questions and advice (and "search") is the *Technology Corner* forum (here - on RV.Net).

Also, Escapees forums (Lots of full-timers there) has three handy forums for tech stuff:

"Tech Tips and Tricks"
"Internet Access on the Road"
"Satellite TV and Radio on the Road"

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
For the best security get a Cradlepoint or other router that supports Wifi as WAN and use it with a Verizonwireless mifi device. This provides the added security of a robust firewall between your wife's computer and the internet. Unlimited number of computers can access the internet via the Cradlepoint and you can have it bridging to wireless printers as well.

For the ultimate in security I would use a device running the Apple IOS and not Windows. This will eliminate 99% of your problems of all types. There are very good reasons why only 11% of computer devices currently in use are running the Windows operating system.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
We use Verizon smart phones as a hot spot. Much more secure than the campground or public wifi. We have 10G of data a month which allows us to pay bills and surf the net. We don't download music or movies which eats into your data plan very fast.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi

Verizon has the best coverage. None of the companies cover everywhere.

I'd get cell phones with data hotspots from at least two companies.

Another route is cellular dongles. These could be put in a cell capable router and would offer "fail over" service and/or combination service to improve coverage and bandwidth. Cradlepoint makes such a router.

How much data will she be using?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.