cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Better Than Wood Blocks!

DanKirk
Explorer
Explorer
If you are tired of lugging around scraps of wood to level your RV, you can get a great deal on Lynx Levelers right now at Amazon.

Amazon Lynx Sale

Also, if you like their Facebook page, you might win a set for free!

These Lego-style blocks work great, and are much easier to use and tote around.
2017 Windjammer 3006WK
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Crew Cab Cummins Turbo Diesel
44 REPLIES 44

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
That doesn't look like a problem for lynx levelers to me. They don't have any problem holding up my MH when I need more lift than in your picture. ๐Ÿ˜„

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did not try the orange Lynx blocks, so perhaps their ruggedness could be a surprise - but just to look at their non-solid honeycomb structure makes me wonder - regardless of the composite material used.

As an example of what we want to always be ready for just in case, this offroad spot is where we camped in Death Valley with two other couples a few years ago. I doubt that the Lynx levelers would have held up o to ~2000 lbs. per tire on this rough rocky surface:

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
Have you broken one of the orange lynx levelers? My experience is that anything that would break one of those would also break wooden boards. The yellow ones break easily.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Note that in my photo above - showing one of our friend's homemade wooden step-block leveler built just like ours - that it consists of three steps screwed together made by cutting up one long piece of 2X8 redwood board. Driving up onto the highest step provides 6 1/2 inches of lift. One more small piece of 2X8 under the high end provides another 1 1/2 inches, for a total of 7 1/2 inches of lift.

We camp all over the west in campgrounds and boondocking in forests and deserts using up to five sets of these homemade wooden step-blocks. Five sets of homemade step-blocks takes care of us in the worst case situation of three-point leveling - lifting 4 rear duals and 1 front wheel.

We gave up on plastic leveling blocks long ago because we broke them all the time when camping here in the West. A couple of other great uses of these homemade solid wood leveling blocks is they can also be used under our hydraulic jack in soft ground in case of a flat tire and they can also be used under the rear dual drive wheels in case we should ever begin to get stuck in soft ground.

The plastic leveling blocks are compact, light, and work well under the common situations of flat earth, smooth gravel, or paved surfaces in designated campgrounds. Get out of these type of ideal conditions, and for us the plastic blocks would crack and/or splinter.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Rarely can I find an ideal camping location where a simple 2x8 would provide enough leveling. Usually at least 6" on a side and sometimes between front/back as well, to make the camper level. Out West we have mountains. I suppose in Texas or other 'plains' states a simple 2x8 would be enough.

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
I was never a Legos fan so I don't see the attraction of LL. I carry 2 2x8's that are 4 ft long and 1 1x8 that's the same length. This has worked for me in every situation for the past 8 years. The Lynx blocks are fine I'm sure but to take them out, stack them up and line them up right takes about 4x the time to drop one board in place.

And to the guy that has 80 LL? Really? Why?
2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Just checked my local craigslist and found 6 sets for sale at $15 each. Thanks for the tip!

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the Lynx Levelers in all kinds of conditions. They also do not crack in cold weather. Much tougher than plastic blocks by other manufacturers. It's also very easy to make a ramp with them that is much safer than what is pictured above!
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

DanKirk
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
I found that plastic blocks I used to carry in our RV cracked on rough (rock) surfaces in camp sites. They probably would develop cracks,too, when used at various angles and supported strangely as in my photo above.

Homemade wooden blocks as shown in my photo above are indestructible ... and handy to carry and place with handles installed. I made each step-block of mine from a piece of 2X8 redwood.

Oh, I understand now. I still think that you can build a pyramid of plastic bricks as high as what you show in the pic, and can drive up it without any problems. But you're right, if you try to span them, un-supported, they probably can't take the weight. They aren't designed to be used in that way. They are designed to stack.
2017 Windjammer 3006WK

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found that plastic blocks I used to carry in our RV cracked on rough (rock) surfaces in camp sites. They probably would develop cracks,too, when used at various angles and supported strangely as in my photo above.

Homemade wooden blocks as shown in my photo above are indestructible ... and handy to carry and place with handles installed. I made each step-block of mine from a piece of 2X8 redwood.

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
jmiller wrote:
If its on the Internet it must be true.
Yea,THEY can't put ANYTHING on the Internet that isn't true !

DanKirk
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Here's why I much prefer wooden leveling blocks over manufactured (plastic?) ones! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wooden blocks will allow you to do this in emergency boondocking situations (... this is a friend's RV when we were boondocking with them ... but I carry five sets of homemade blocks with handles just like the one in this photo):

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Why couldn't you do that with a stack of plastic blocks?
2017 Windjammer 3006WK

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never had anyt use for plastic levelers...I'm perfectly happy with wood blocks. I have seen the plastic ones crack in cold weather!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's why I much prefer wooden leveling blocks over manufactured (plastic?) ones! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wooden blocks will allow you to do this in emergency boondocking situations (... this is a friend's RV when we were boondocking with them ... but I carry five sets of homemade blocks with handles just like the one in this photo):