cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bicycles-recommendations?

Tom_Mary_Lou
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of getting new bicycles. We are older now & certainly don't need a gagillion speeds. Any recommendations would be appreciated. THX
Tom & Mary Lou
'03 Dodge 2500, Q/cab,SB, 5.7 hemi
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS
79 REPLIES 79

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I'll just add not to buy a bike with the fat all terrain tires.

If you are just going to pleasurably bike ride the narrower tires are easier to ride.

My first bike had the typical fat knobby tires that most come with from the big box stores.

What a DIFFERENCE when I got rid of that one and bought a bike with narrow plain tires.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Dick's Sporting Goods. They can fit you up nearly as good as a high priced bike shop. Skip the cheap bikes at department stores. My advice is to not be afraid of a lot of gears. The older you get, the more gears you need.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
As an older rider what is needed is the so called "comfort bike" these are the ones with Flat foot Technology such as the Electra.

They come with one speed or 3,7,and 21 speeds.

She decided that the Townie 7 Speed Vanilla was just right for crusin the camp grounds and the bike trails near the beach, it put the fun back in riding.

They offer outstanding comfort and control with the feet forward technology, you can plant your feet on the ground while still sitting on the seat,a real plus when older and a little less agile.

We tried the cheap ones and they do not compare with the comfort,control and safety of the Electra.

Granted they are not cheap but at this age it is worth it not to have to worry so much about falling and ruining an outing or our self.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
Austin is a great bicycle town. My mountain bike had a catastrophic failure while in Texas last February, so I started shopping. I wasn't going to be 1,500 miles from home and miss out on the riding. The people at Bicycle Sport Shop got us hooked up. Three locations, we went to the one on Parmer Lane, in Austin. I wound up getting two new bikes. One, to replace my soon-to-be-recycled unit, and one to upgrade my better half's ride. Fantastic deal. Their service is top notch, with very knowledgeable staff. They're patient, finding the best bike for you and answering questions, with no attitude. Although I got a great deal, the bikes there are not cheap. They carry reputable, dependable brands, including Electra Townie, and a good variety. I view my bicycle as a time machine - it makes me feel like a kid every time I ride it. Plus, it's great exercise and a chance to hang out together. If I bought bikes that were unreliable and/or uncomfortable, I don't think I'd ride nearly as often as a quality machine.
You may be interested in what I would call a "comfort" bike (also called commuter or fitness bikes). A traditional style that's great on solid surfaces and a range of gears for easy pedaling in multiple situations. A "beach cruiser" is a traditional style bike with one speed and fat tires. They're great on the beach and on flat, gravel roads/paths, but their lack of gears makes 'em tough on a grade. The fat tires are nice for their bump-absorption properties.
Examples HERE.
Unless you like to fiddle with things rather than ride, a Walmart bike will only frustrate you and become a towel rack. If you're simply curious, rent a bike or two and see what's what. A lot of bike shops will credit a rental towards a purchase. If Walmart is your choice, so be it. It's better than none, as long as you ride it. Thoroughly verify assembly before doing so.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis M M wrote:
Go to a competent bike dealer and get a properly fitted bike! You will be lot happier with that than one from Walmart. They will not try to up-sell you and will fit you with the most economical bike for your needs. A comfortable fit is the more important than anything, including price.

Trek has some reasonably priced, well built bikes. We have a couple of older Giant's, that we use in AZ in the winter. We bought a pair of Trek's a little over a year ago, but leave them home rather than abuse them. They are head and shoulders above the Giant's in quality, performance, and comfort.

Yup, and for about $600 to $700 they will fit you with a good bike. Yipes! Walmart has reasonable bikes for less than $100 that will work well for seniors. Walmart has some really good bikes in the $100 to $150 range.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
..While I won't disagree that you'll probably end up with a better bike from a bike shop, I wouldn't discount totally the ones you can get for much less $$ at 'big box' stores.

You can count me as one that has bought all our bikes from Walmart or Target or other 'big box' stores, and never have gone wrong yet. You just gotta do your research, check them out real good, and know what you're getting. Me and DW still have the Schwinn bikes we bought from Walmart over 10 years ago, and they both still ride great. They go with us on every camping trip, always have as long as we've had them.

Have bought numerous bikes for the kids as well this way. With kid's bikes, you absolutely HAVE to get them cheap, 'cause they seem to outgrow and require a new one every few years, haha.

Yes, first thing we had to do was replace the seats on our (adult) bikes for more comfortable seats. That was done for less than $20 each bike, though. Even with that and other various things I've upgraded, fixed over the years on these bikes, we are STILL waaaay ahead $$ wise from what we would have spent for a bike from a bike shop.

You may also find that specialty bike shops are getting harder and harder to find. I've seen several of 'em pop up, and go out of business around here over the years. Its very hard for them to compete long term, with the big box stores and online retailers, I think.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

shakyjay
Explorer
Explorer
My wife loves her Townie. Has the 3 speed, which is plenty for her, and the Fat Frank balloon tires. I like the internal hub 3 speed doesn't need a lot of maintenance. Hers does not have the coaster brake that most the Townie 3 speeds have so the hub is free spinning which I also like. I have ridden her bike and like it enough that I have considered one for myself, possibly the 8 speed internal hub with balloon tires.

I am riding an Orbea which is also a nice smooth riding bike.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the family of folding bicycles.
Dahon is one of the top brands.
I was looking at citizen a little bit ago. on ebay.

They get really small which is good for RVs or boats, etc.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife and I both have Townies as well as 6 other friends. All have been flawless for several years and very comfortable. Yes we do ride a lot.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought a couple 9FS bikes from here . Great for around the CG riding & being foldups helps with the storage.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
mikeleblanc413 wrote:
I'm with Dennis M M. In 2008 I was looking for bikes. Of course, WalMart came up. Then someone suggested I go to a specific bike shop in Beaumont, Texas. I did. Told the guy what I was looking for (pretty much what you are now looking for) and he showed me several choices. I was impressed. Asked him if he had one I could ride. He replied yes...just pick one. We went riding and in two blocks I knew I was getting ready to spend more money on a bike than I had ever spent. The bikes are Raleigh Venture 4.0 with comfort seats. gears and in the $475.00 range. Still have the bikes and love them! Never could see myself spending so much money on bikes. Everytime we ride, we're glad we did!

If you are truly going to use a bike, go to REAL Bike Shop, get fitted, test ride, understand the $$ difference -means a truly quality bike that will ride much better & lasts, & you will enjoy much more.

Walmart -not put together by mechanics, low, low end parts, no employees to explain difference & properly fit you (adjust setup, followup on proper usage & care). Fine for some, but if really used, good chance Walmart bike will fall apart and/or not work proper.

Markiemark:C
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with Dennis M M. In 2008 I was looking for bikes. Of course, WalMart came up. Then someone suggested I go to a specific bike shop in Beaumont, Texas. I did. Told the guy what I was looking for (pretty much what you are now looking for) and he showed me several choices. I was impressed. Asked him if he had one I could ride. He replied yes...just pick one. We went riding and in two blocks I knew I was getting ready to spend more money on a bike than I had ever spent. The bikes are Raleigh Venture 4.0 with comfort seats. gears and in the $475.00 range. Still have the bikes and love them! Never could see myself spending so much money on bikes. Everytime we ride, we're glad we did!
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

edsland
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Walmart bike for 1 ride took it back for the money, bought a good bike from a bike dealer and never looked back.

Lilrhody
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely go get fitted. I rode a Trek for years - loved it but my riding style changed. I now have a Giant - another great bike.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago we purchased a Schwinn 2 seater ... bicycle for 2. We love it. It does have 10 speeds, but is styled old school. Unfortunately we don't use it as much as we use to. Funny, my wife will quit peddling, so I drop the gears into low, she coasts! You want the gears. Just not a zillion of them. I had knee surgery last August and have not been on it since. It's blue and white, traditional old school style with the "normal" old fashioned fat wide seats!

Just suggesting ... get a Schwinn! and the 2 seaters are a LOT of fun! This photo was taken a few years ago by our son.

This one taken some time later ... previous camper.