cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Billowing roof covers

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
In the middle of a trip going from Phoenix to Detroit running along at about 60 mph. I watch the traffic running west and started to count the vehicles I see with what looks like a huge pillow sitting above the drivers area on motorhomes, or above the front bedroom area on 5th wheel trailers. Seems the roof materials have come loose along the leading edge letting air to get under the top and ballon up. It must lay back down when the vehicle slows or stops and you never seem to see anything like that while walking around the rv parks. Looks like a lot of us might want to give that area a check over. In three days of driving 3 newer looking motorhomes and 15 5th wheels spotted, on just the road I'm on.
Add another 3 5th wheels today, and it was raining, hope they don't find a lot of water in their rigs tonight when they get into a park.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible
19 REPLIES 19

eBommarito
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
You might have some recourse if it is a continuation of a problem that was addressed under warranty. Sure would be worth looking into. Probably will depend on the dealer/builder.

Well I contacted Dutchman, and they said to bring it to an authorized dealer. everyone was booked so I went back to where I bought it (La Mesa RV in Davis, Ca), which I not happy with them to begin with, and they booked me an appointment (which was about 30 days out). a coworker's dad passed away so I covered for him at work, but it conflicted with the appointment. I called to see if I can drop it off the evening before, and the lady told me nope! your appointment is your appointment. I'd have to book another appointment, so basically wait another 30 days.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might have some recourse if it is a continuation of a problem that was addressed under warranty. Sure would be worth looking into. Probably will depend on the dealer/builder.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

eBommarito
Explorer
Explorer
moresmoke wrote:
The air can come up under the roof membrane from inside the camper. I had it happen this summer. Nothing was pulled out, I think there was only one little spot 4-5" where the sealant would've leaked. The only sign when stopped was a bunch of wrinkles in the roof. Went through a bad storm (wind, hail, tornado wanrings...) and I think that is what pulled it loose.

Camper was just past the 1 year warranty. Once it was opened up it was obvious that there was a lack of glue along the leading edge of the roof. Once you got back about 6 feet from the front there was plenty of glue and the membrane was about impossible to roll back. Apparently the original glue must be applied on bare wood so the moisture/solvent can escape through the wood. Not being in a position to re-deck part of the roof, I used contact cement to reglue it.

Did the repair in the in-laws drive way. Was 2000 mi from home, and didn't have time to deal with an rv service shop before we needed to move on. If I had been at home, probably would've tried to get something from manufacturer on a unit this new. I'm still on the fence whether I will leave it as repaired, of go for a complete reroof before next years major trip.

On a 5ver of motorhome there is no way to see the roof billowing. I was just barely able to see it in the mirror on my TT.

I have had problems with mine, and have been looking for other options. Mine is a '14. leaked right off the bat and now its ballooning in the same spot.

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
The air can come up under the roof membrane from inside the camper. I had it happen this summer. Nothing was pulled out, I think there was only one little spot 4-5" where the sealant would've leaked. The only sign when stopped was a bunch of wrinkles in the roof. Went through a bad storm (wind, hail, tornado wanrings...) and I think that is what pulled it loose.

Camper was just past the 1 year warranty. Once it was opened up it was obvious that there was a lack of glue along the leading edge of the roof. Once you got back about 6 feet from the front there was plenty of glue and the membrane was about impossible to roll back. Apparently the original glue must be applied on bare wood so the moisture/solvent can escape through the wood. Not being in a position to re-deck part of the roof, I used contact cement to reglue it.

Did the repair in the in-laws drive way. Was 2000 mi from home, and didn't have time to deal with an rv service shop before we needed to move on. If I had been at home, probably would've tried to get something from manufacturer on a unit this new. I'm still on the fence whether I will leave it as repaired, of go for a complete reroof before next years major trip.

On a 5ver of motorhome there is no way to see the roof billowing. I was just barely able to see it in the mirror on my TT.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^^Oh yeah! And to me the idea of adding about $3000-$4000 to the price of a new trailer doesn't make good sense. Not when there's nothing wrong with most of the rubber roofs out there, and most people don't keep their trailers for 10 years, let along long enough to take advantage of that 20 year warranty.

FWIW we just got back from 6,000 miles and I'll have to say I didn't see any billowing roofs, although I have a see a few in the past.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

eBommarito
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
RAS43 wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
Another good reason to replace the rubber roof with This before it blows off, premature fails like mine did or caulking starts leaking (which it will and there is a lot of it to check/replace). I will never live with another rubber roof longer than it takes to get it sprayed by RV Flex Armor. I no longer want to have to worry about that leak that I don't know about that is destroying my rig and turning it into salvage value.

Would I spray a brand new rubber roof? Not only yes, but before I ever moved in and would just consider the cost part of the initial purchase price.

But if the rubber membrane isn't glued to the roof how will this product prevent the lifting? Just curious.

RV Flex Armor is sprayed on at 200 degrees F and covers all of the rubber roof area and over a portion of the front and rear caps and down the drip rail all the way down the sides. No place for air to get it. Here is a picture of mine just before I hooked up and drove off. You can clearly see how well the original roof is covered up including all caulking. The new roof material is 3/16" thick.

Is this a costly procedure?

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Years ago we pulled into Wal-Mart Perry Fl. I jumped out and ran back to fifth wheel to take a potty break . Could not open door ! Whole roof hanging down the side . Why did I not see it , damned if I know .
Called Camping World in Tallahassee to save me an indoor slip for repair . Eight thousand dollars was the estimate . We traded that day for another Dutchman fiver .
Now we have an aluminum roof Work and Play .

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
We went out west last month and I noticed several billowing roofs too. They weren't flapping just billowing. I have never seen that many before on one trip. I think I saw 5 in one day in Montana. TTs, 5ers and Class C MHs.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Add another 3 5th wheels today, I'm amazed to see so many. Now both my wife and myself are watching for them. So far still no class C with this issue.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
Devocamper wrote:
It is not always about air getting in , the air moving over the roof causes lift and pulls the roofing material up off the roof , I would think if the original roof had become detached that it should be re-glued before anything is applied to it

Air IS getting under the roofing material or it could not billow up like it does.
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We see trailers and 5th wheels on the highways and the wind is pushing in the outsidet skin on the front of their RV. It appears there is no support behind the area.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
It is not always about air getting in , the air moving over the roof causes lift and pulls the roofing material up off the roof , I would think if the original roof had become detached that it should be re-glued before anything is applied to it
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
Another good reason to replace the rubber roof with This before it blows off, premature fails like mine did or caulking starts leaking (which it will and there is a lot of it to check/replace). I will never live with another rubber roof longer than it takes to get it sprayed by RV Flex Armor. I no longer want to have to worry about that leak that I don't know about that is destroying my rig and turning it into salvage value.

Would I spray a brand new rubber roof? Not only yes, but before I ever moved in and would just consider the cost part of the initial purchase price.

But if the rubber membrane isn't glued to the roof how will this product prevent the lifting? Just curious.

RV Flex Armor is sprayed on at 200 degrees F and covers all of the rubber roof area and over a portion of the front and rear caps and down the drip rail all the way down the sides. No place for air to get it. Here is a picture of mine just before I hooked up and drove off. You can clearly see how well the original roof is covered up including all caulking. The new roof material is 3/16" thick.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
had this problem with our roof in 2008, manufacturer had the dealer repair it under warranty .they pealed the roofig back and re-glued it , they think it was defective adhesives . I found mine when washing the trailer and saw the ripples in the roofing.
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's