cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black & Grey tank chemicals - What do you use ?

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using Calgon & deorderizer in the black tank now. What else can I do ?
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74
42 REPLIES 42

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not shy, my sh!t3 stinks. Use plenty of water and an off the shelf deodorizer. The gray water is nasty as well, don't use anything in there; maybe I should.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

We dry camp a lot and one thing you could do is to save your dish water for when you need to flush 'heavy' stuff. Pee doesn't require extra water.

Our dish water typically ends up in the black tank. However, since our black tank is smaller than our gray tank, dish water also ends up in our gray tank.

Anyway, we find that occasional use of bleach in both tanks is still necessary.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
Use the orange one (smells orange) from Walmart and use the gray water product they also have. I put Calgon in both the Gray and Black. The Calgon is a water softener and helps stop the hard water build up in the tanks.

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
H20 (water)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:

While I think flushing with plain water is the best method, it's not always possible. Not everyone camps at full hookup sites so unlimited tank flushing isn't always possible.

We dry camp a lot and one thing you could do is to save your dish water for when you need to flush 'heavy' stuff. Pee doesn't require extra water.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I don't smell anything coming out of the vent. I guess it dissipates before it reaches ground level.
In any case perfumed poo smells just as bad to me as natural organic poo.

I never did either until I headed South!

The whole black tank issue simply was not one when I RV'd in Wisconson. Spent years traveling around in the Midwest as a weekend RV'er. Didn't even give thought to the black tank except to dump daily or at the end of the weekend.

THEN.....one month in Florida in the Summer with no hook-ups trying to stretch my having to break camp to move MH to dump off site.......made ME a believer of good chems in the black tank to control odor!

Also, dumping at dump stations or CG hookups without sealed caps on opening and sewer hose can be a gagger. With chems in the black tank it is not.

Trust me fill a holding tank in a MH in 98 degree humid weather and letting it sit any length of time and you WILL start to smell it coming from somewhere and definitely when dumping! :W

BTW: There IS a difference between chems that actually 'control/eliminate' odors and ones that just add 'perfume' which I agree IMHO is even worse.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Water...lots and lots of water...solved one of my friends stinky tank issues with...water. Lots Nd lots of water.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
TST and lots of water
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
We use only water.
pawatt

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Clay L wrote:
.. Except for the roof vent it is a sealed system. If the odor is not coming from the roof vent then you have a problem that needs to be fixed.....

And who on earth would want to smell it coming out of the vent?

Using holding tank chemicals not deodorants, prevents any smell from wafting down over your picnic table.:W

=Dakota98 "dollar Orange" ?????????

:B
I meant to type Dollar Store!
For just a buck you can buy a quart of generic lemon cleaner.

I find this bottle of liquid cleaner is just right for cleaning any grease off and deodorizing the 'gray' tank preventing odors from stray food stuffs that go down the kitchen sink.

I don't smell anything coming out of the vent. I guess it dissipates before it reaches ground level.
In any case perfumed poo smells just as bad to me as natural organic poo.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Happy Camper. Easy to use no strong smells and goes in gray tank as well
Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
FrankShore wrote:
I create bacteria in the tanks to help eat away the gunk, grime and build up. This is the stuff I use

RV Digest-It

Buy a gallon of it and just put 4 oz into the tanks 24 hours before you plan on dumping! 4oz isn't a lot! This stuff is potent!

I create bacteria for the tanks too but I do it the all natural way. I chew up food, pass it thru my internal system and add a new deposit every time I flush.

You don't need to add baceria and other chemicals won't help break things down any faster. More importantly, the systems aren't designed to break things down. They are holding tanks not decomposition tanks.

Just make sure to use plenty of water and as long as the vent is clear, you should never notice an odor and you shouldn't get any blockages.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
Keep in mind that if your black tank "goes south", it just might have ammonia in it (urine becomes ammonia when it ages). Ammonia plus chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite) reacts violently, giving off chlorine gas, which is deadly.
Be careful.

Since pee is mostly just water and since your gray and black tanks are vented, there's very little chance of this happening.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that if your black tank "goes south", it just might have ammonia in it (urine becomes ammonia when it ages). Ammonia plus chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite) reacts violently, giving off chlorine gas, which is deadly.
Be careful.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"