cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black Tank--Borax?

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
I read on a forum somewhere that adding borax to the black tank would help clean it. Has anyone here heard of such a recommendation?
16 REPLIES 16

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
I guess everybody has the method that works best for them. So here is mine, 20 years, and 3 trailers, never a problem.

Dump black tank, flush hose with grey tank, hook up black tank flush (last 2 trailers) run for 5 -10 minutes, always suprising to see what comes out after several minutes of clear water.

Add 2-3 gallons of water to both tanks, throw in small hand full of Borax or White King D and a small amout of Calgon and drive home.

Never had an odor or compaction problem so I ain't changing anything!!
Tinbender

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I've gotten to the point, after two decades of RVing, that I use the toilet, occasionally watch the gauges, and see when it's getting close to full. I then close the grey valve and wait. The next day I dump the black, and chase it with a partial load of grey.

No Rid-X,Geo method,expensive blue stuff from the camping store, Ice, black magic, or ancient Chinese secrets. If the RV has been parked while snowbirding, and hasn't moved an inch,after a few months it will develop the dreaded "Mount Poosovious". I then take a wand that came with the rig, hook the hose to it, and give the tank a blast. The wand was free, it has a cool brass spinning head on the bottom, and for the once a year I need it, it works great. IF, and only if, it's a hot summer and things are getting funky in the black tank, it gets a shot of straight, dollar store bleach, every so often.

That's my story. No drama, no need for any fancy methods, techniques, or expensive chemicals. Poop, store, drain, repeat.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Iโ€™m always amused that some of us go to great length to clean/super clean the black tanks just so we can poop in a clean tank, and do it all over again.

LOL, you and me both. I never will understand it. Just a mystery of life for me I guess.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
my black tank does not have a straight down drop.

I got a flexible wand from Wally world that did not break the bank and it zigs right down in there and does the job. has rotary nozzle on the end.

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All.. I get the tank At least 3/4 full before dumping. Then when dumping I watch the site glass in the hose to determine if water is clear. If water is not clear add more water until it is clear.. Jim2007.
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Iโ€™m always amused that some of us go to great length to clean/super clean the black tanks just so we can poop in a clean tank, and do it all over again.

Same here. Been RVing for many years and never had a black tank problem. Also never used special TP, tank chemicals, GEO method, spray wands, black tank flusher, or any other tank cleaning routine. I just use lots of water when dumping.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
wildtoad wrote:

X2

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has been discussed ad nauseam on this and other forums - use the search function.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG's device is probably one of the best to use. I have the store bought version and it shoots water 30 feet from the wand, very powerful. If the camper sits stationary, this is the item to use. If you travel, the sloshing of the tank with laundry soap, or almost anything used in the laundry or washing dishes will clean the tank and sensors. It's the vigorous sloshing against the sensors that cleans them.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
No chemicals needed. No borax. NO NO NO. Just install a tank rinsing sprinkler. Why make it so complicated? Been doing mine for 19 years this way.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I've heard of it, never tried it. I've also heard of tide pods, dishwashing detergent, water softening powder, bags of ice, commercial treatments, Geo method, Rid-X, pine sol, bleach, and who knows how many other concoctions to try to clean out a tank full of cr*p.

If you're trying to clean off a sensor you might have some luck with one of these ideas. Or you could try just filling the tank up with water and let it sit for a few hours before draining it. You might be surprised at how effective a tank full of water can be.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
We put 3 gallons of water, 1 Cup powder "20 Mule Team Borax" and 1 Cup of Calgon liquid softner.

Let it swish around on the drive to the CG.

Dump it and then we put more water in the Black tank before using it.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Real Borax? I would think it would just lay there in a pile on the bottom of the tank.

I clean mine at the end of the season by using a wand I made to go down the toity. It's a pvc pipe made out of left over plumbing pieces.

At the bussiness end, there are two 3/16 holes. Lower hole drilled at 90 degrees and the top one pointing slightly upward.

The pressure created by all the water having to go through those two small holes is fantastic - especially at CG's with high pressure to start with. I have my DW watch the panel while I blast the sensors and it gets them perfectly clean. I go on to blast the entire inside of the tank and it gets stuff out that the built in sprayer, geo or soap treatments can't touch. Especially stuff stuck in corners or on the ceiling of the tank.

Scott