Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Tank Treatments - Yay or Nay?

chops1sc
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is two-part thread....

I have been RV camping for most of my life. I can always remember my dad using the old blue liquid in the toilet after dumping the tanks. This what I did once I started camping with my family.

How many of y'all use chemicals in the black tank?

WHEN do you use the chemicals?

I have seen few videos that talk about the treatments becoming inactive after a long period of time sitting in the tank and even causing issues with build-up. My common sense light comes on when I think about adding the treatment before the trip.

Also, this is my first camper with a built-in flush for the black tank. Once I am done, do I need to add any water or anything?

Thanks in advance!
61 REPLIES 61

chops1sc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to everyone for your input! It’s amazing how we all have different ways of doing!

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
I use little packets of an orange based chemical. I do find stuff is better broken down using it than when I don't and there is no smell
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
rk911 wrote:
we tried the 'no chemical' way and did not like the results. we used Happy Campers waste treatment and were pleased with the results.

Us too! Happy Camper is the best! Been doing it this way for over 25 years now.
2010 Suncruiser

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Camper works great for us
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Calgon liquid and Dawn detergent for us. If the tank smells just add more water.

After dumping the tank, I add a few gallons of water and we are good for another 18 days until we dump again.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Thirteen years fulltime, water, water, water. It's worked for us.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I travel in the summer when it's usually very hot. The bugs in the tanks get very active when the tanks get hot. And then things get very smelly because those tanks are vented to the atmosphere and they gas off.

That being the case use the blue bottle to kill off the bugs to make things less smelly.

Works for me so I keep using it. If I camp in the fall when it's cool I usually don't need it.

So do I use a tank treatment? Yes, most of the time.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltiming since 2006. Started out NOT using chemicals. Very conscientious about dumping and flushing when needed. Then I had an issue with the black tank valve not opening completely so I started using Tank Techs RX (Now Just Science). It worked great to liquify the solids and eliminate all the wasted water from refilling and flushing the tank. I'll do a full flush maybe once or twice a year now.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did it both ways... The only difference I noticed is if on a full service site and I dumped. rinsed and CLOSED THE VALVE. no problem.. If I forgot and left either the black or gray valve open Stink.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cap of Calgon and cup of Dollar Store Pine Sol Cleaner, and lots of flush till it runs clear.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
chops1sc wrote:
This is two-part thread....

I have been RV camping for most of my life. I can always remember my dad using the old blue liquid in the toilet after dumping the tanks. This what I did once I started camping with my family.

How many of y'all use chemicals in the black tank?

WHEN do you use the chemicals?

I have seen few videos that talk about the treatments becoming inactive after a long period of time sitting in the tank and even causing issues with build-up. My common sense light comes on when I think about adding the treatment before the trip.

Also, this is my first camper with a built-in flush for the black tank. Once I am done, do I need to add any water or anything?

Thanks in advance!

Why not just try it without chemicals? If it don’t smell, you don’t need ‘em. Too many variable to place an absolute yay or nay on some tank cleaner/smell good stuff.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Started using Borax, Happy Camper and Dawn. Got rid of the smells we were getting. I also add 3-5 gallons of water after every dump.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
No chemicals for us.
Dump, close valve, have wife flush full commode 4 or 5 times, open valve until empty. Flush dump hose with gray water. Have wife put 5 commode bowls of water in black tank to keep every thing wet. Wife reminds me to wash my hands.:o

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
dedmiston wrote:
No RV chemicals for me. Every few dumps I'll add some Calgon liquid and some blue Dawn detergent, but that's it for us.

As far as flushing, I flush every time I dump unless I'm in a hurry and I'm staying someplace with full hookups the next night. Once the water flows clear, I'll close the black valve and keep the flush running for a moment to add a few gallons to the tank so there's something to swish around.

Try not to overthink it.

That is exactly the same thing I do, tank treatment is a waste of money.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we tried the 'no chemical' way and did not like the results. we used Happy Campers waste treatment and were pleased with the results.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle