cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brake Buddy – Test Button No Longer Works

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve had a Brake Buddy since 2005 (no problems until now). The test button no longer causes the arm to extend, nothing happens when I push it. All other functions work like they always have (i.e. the compressor runs when it is plugged it, and stops once it’s full). But, I can't complete the normal start up procedure, where you push the test button 4 - 5 times when hooking it up. Per the remote sensor light, the unit does activate when under hard braking (like it should).

I’ll call customer service tomorrow, hopefully it’s fixable. Anyone else had this problem?
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV
7 REPLIES 7

tyoungs
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with mine until I added a dedicated 12V line direct from battery to a socket just for the Brake Buddy - may have something to do with how much draw there is when unit is "airing up" - once it gets to pressure, then the button seems to work OK, sometimes I still need to wiggle it a bit when depressing the button, like it's not making good contact. New HD 12V receptacle really helped a lot.
Tom & Mary plus Lilli the Havanese
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B,
450 Cummins, Spartan K2
HRRVC #106803
2017 Buick Enclave toad:)
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
I called Brake Buddy and was told the same thing as Raloma ($300- to fix it). I then took it for a drive in another car (plugged in and sitting in the passenger seat). It did activate when I braked. So, the only thing wrong is the test button. I can push the toad brake peddle by hand a couple times to pressurize the system – no need for the test button.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cliff
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
isn't all that button is doing is powering it to activate it which is exactly what your break away switch is doing? why not just tap into those two wires going to the BA switch and put a button there?
bumpy

Raloma
Explorer
Explorer
Cliff
I have the exact same problem with my Brake Buddy. I called them and they will fix the circuit board for $300.00 or sell me a new Brake Buddy for $650.00. I told him that I have just been pushing the brake peddle 5 or 6 times to get rid of the vacuum, and it is working fine. He told me that is the right thing to do if I don't want to spend the money to fix it. So for now I'll just push the brake peddle.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
In the mean time, use a stick to press on the brake until vacuum is used up.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

tandkj
Explorer
Explorer
You can send them back to the manufacture and they will rebuild them. Did mine for $65 which was the cost of the parts. No shipping fee involved.
Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
no such issues with mine but i would "guess" that it is just no electrical contact with the switch/button. if you have the breakaway switch hooked up, couldn't you just pull that to activate?
bumpy