cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake controller

Red07Shelby
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am new to RVing. I have a 1998 Fleetwood American Dream. I will be towing an enclosed trailer. My coach has a PAC Brake. My question is has anybody installed a brake controller in this application? If so how did you wire it to bypass it putting on the trailer brake when PAC brake is applied? I noticed that when the PAC brake is applied the brake lights come on.
3 REPLIES 3

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a momentum based controller, which you should if you want smooth trailer brakes, it will apply brakes anytime it detect deceleration. That could be applying the tow vehicle service brakes, exhaust brake, downshifting, or just coasting up a hill.
I don't understand why you wouldn't want the trailer brakes coming on.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Whenever 'braking' you will want the trailer to do some braking also
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Red07Shelby wrote:
Hi, I am new to RVing. I have a 1998 Fleetwood American Dream. I will be towing an enclosed trailer. My coach has a PAC Brake. My question is has anybody installed a brake controller in this application? If so how did you wire it to bypass it putting on the trailer brake when PAC brake is applied? I noticed that when the PAC brake is applied the brake lights come on.

Why do you not want the trailer to also brake? A car hauling trailer is quite a load.

Jim