cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Breakthrough CampLite 5th Wheel Trailer - 1/2 Ton Towable!

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Really very neat and 1/2 ton towable! Weighs 6,490 lbs!

All Aluminum and Azdel & BeauFlor

2014 CampLite 32RLS 5th Wheel Trailer

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

31 REPLIES 31

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:
I took note they did not demonstrate what it is like with the slide outs retracted. I have seen some conventionals that I would not own due to severe restrictions inside, when they are retracted.

looking at the floor plan it would be extremely tight getting to the kitchen area with the slide in.
bumpy

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to me that F-150 is a misnomer for a towable truck. F-150's come in a myriad of specs, rear end ratio's even motors.
The o/p that mentioned the little cabinet being free and portable has a great point. This could become a missile "quick", in a panic stop. I think their basic premise is good, but they are over selling what it takes to tow it. The price of the unit over a conventional, is greater than the cost of a HD tow vehicle IMHO.
The dinette cushions were minimal at best. I think a table and chairs would be a better option. I took note they did not demonstrate what it is like with the slide outs retracted. I have seen some conventionals that I would not own due to severe restrictions inside, when they are retracted.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
watched it again, yep, empty space over the kitchen cabinets. how do you anchor down that extra storage thingy on wheels? and wrestling with those dinette cushions would be a full time job.
bumpy

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
Dry weight of 6490 does not inlcude AC, microwave, awning, battery(s) or propane. By the time time you add the above and load ready to camp you will easily be over the payload of the typical "half ton" TV.

Explorer II
Explorer II
camp-n-family wrote:
...At the minimal 20% the pin...
My "1/2 ton towable" DRY ratio is 15%. 8200lb dry, 1200lb pin.

It changes once I start loading it. Of course most of the big storage is in the basement, up front. The bedroom closet and under bed storage are up front as well, clothes are heavy. Fortunately most of the remaining storage is above or behind the axles so this helps.
I have to be careful what goes where to keep the pin weight down.

I haven't been to the scales so I have no idea what my final weight is. It tows well, stable, truck doesn't overly sag or struggle and stops well so I'm happy.

The only problem I have encountered is towing with full waste tanks. They are forward of the axles (fresh is over the rear axle). That throws we WAY over payload to the point to where it concerns me.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The concept is great, the execution isn't. The kitchen drawers are behind a door. Anyone that cooks knows how often you're getting utensils out to cook. PITA to have to open a drop down drawer to then slide out plastic tray with utensils in it. Cheap.
The two burner stove would be a killer for us. Also the propane tanks in the front under the over hang would be a back breaker. Trying to bend over while removing them and putting them back while full would be irritating.
The openings for the front basement storage are small and without slam latches is cheaply done.
Like I said the concept of no wood and aluminum framing is great, but the overall execution makes it undesirable IMO.

Not sure how it's geared towards a family like the rep said. Yes it has a booth dinette but only 3 places to sit unless someone sits at the booth. And those cushions look really uncomfortable.

No free standing dinette option either. Can't have that since it's wood.
Plus it's not even 8' wide.
Camp Lite seems more into their build process than design.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Another 1/2 ton towable gimmick. Nowhere can you find a pin weight, even dry, for it. At 6500lbs dry it will be at least 8000lbs loaded (GVWR is 10k!). At the minimal 20% the pin will be at least 1600lbs. Add in another 200lbs for the hitch and you've already exceeded the payload of most 1/2 ton trucks before adding passengers.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Explorer II
Explorer II
They claim 1/2 ton towable but the pin weight is TBD? Pin weight is the main determining factor.

I like the storage areas but it seems to be a little tight in the living area. Maybe a table/chair rather than the booth would help there.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:
I find this rig very interesting. That might change when I see the prices. It is light and functional, will give it some more look see.

Found $41k base searching the web.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
I find this rig very interesting. That might change when I see the prices. It is light and functional, will give it some more look see.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
what was over the upper kitchen cabinets? looked like wasted space to me, no access???
bumpy

Above the kitchen wall cabinets is open space. I can see how you might perceive it as being a bulkhead/soffit, but if you look at it again you will see that it is just wide open space. I think cabinets with doors would have been better, albeit a little high and requiring a step stool to access them.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what was over the upper kitchen cabinets? looked like wasted space to me, no access???
bumpy

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Could make a nice fulltime unit for those concerned about gas prices.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty cool. Typical, though, that the rep had no idea what the tank sizes are. He was wrong on all three. He said 65 fresh water and 45 black and 45 gray.

Here's a link to the specs.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
No bunks, so no good.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized