cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broke Swivel Stik end in black tank. Oops.

MtnLiving
Explorer
Explorer
Little background; we're going full time in July and just bought our first fifth wheel. Never really been in one before, except the one we bought so we're complete novices.

We'll we got it home and the previous owner didn't drain the tanks. Found a Swivel Stik in a storage compartment so I thought why not use it. Tried it out in the yard and it sprayed water like it should. Tugged on the end and the flexible hose and both seemed secure so I started to stick it down the head and worked it up and down.

Then the dreaded feeling... no more resistance. I pulled it out and only the flexible hose came out. The head with the sprayer was gone.
HELP!!

2005 Keystone Raptor 3612. It's not a straight shot to into the black tank so I can't see the head of the sprayer. WHat do I do? Can I leave it there? Even if I pulled the tank, which I really don't want to do, can I really get the sprayer head out?

Being a real novice, we owned the RV less than 2 weeks, we're turning to your centuries of combined experience. Thanks so much.
29 REPLIES 29

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
HJGyswyt wrote:
Hey Tery, curious what ever became of your cleaning wand down the toilet. Let us know what ever was resolved. All the best.

Ditto. I'm watching as well.

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Tery, curious what ever became of your cleaning wand down the toilet. Let us know what ever was resolved. All the best.
2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

azwildcat
Explorer
Explorer
Did you get the problem resolved?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you think it is still stuck in the pipe on the way to the black tank then I have seen these Grabber things on a flexible hose. Like the hose on your tank wash. You can purchase them cheap and you might get lucky if you snake it carefully down the pipe to the tank until you feel it and the grab / pull it back out.

For that reason, after all this work and everybody guessing where it is you could just go purchase one of those cameras mounted on a flexible hose, put it down the toilet pipe and see where it ended up.

That would then give you a better idea of how to proceed and "Might" be cheaper then cutting the fabric on the bottom of the RV to find out that the part is not where you thought it was.

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
ECones wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
I will repeat myself one more time. Leave the black valve open, put the cap on the end of the run and go take the rig for a drive. Very likely it will bounce and follow the slant of the tank and then the pipes. Very possible when you take the end cap off, it will be right there.

I know you said it won't make it past a 90 elbow, but that is impossible in my mind. If it fits in the toilet all the other pipes are the same size.

Also you stated "other" stuff is coming out, that tells me you need to do some work above and beyond the flushing fitting.

But are there any 90 degree turns from the toilet to the tank? It may go through a gentle curve but not a 90 degree turn. I've been playing with the Pythagorean theorem here, and it seems something an inch or so in diameter and even 6" long wouldn't fit through that corner.

Nonetheless, it seems a reasonable experiment to try before tearing into it.

Could it be that the Pythagorean theorem is based on 2D concepts, and you have a 3D problem.

When referring to the Pythagorean theorem, I intended an emoticon that I left off ๐Ÿ˜‰ Nonetheless, I still wonder how long an item and what diameter item will go through a 90 degree elbow.

But I'd try every option before pulling the tank. Grin ๐Ÿ˜‰

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Supossing that the broken end made it to the tank, the outlet pipe is connected with a metal strap that can be unscrewed and the drain tube can be taken out and gives you access to the tank, that way it will be the minimum of work to retrieve the item, flush the tank several times with lots of water, fill tank, drain, repeat several times, then take he pipe off by unscrewing the metal band, and pull the tube out.

If you do this do not use silicone to reseal, use the putty that the plumbers use or what is used to seal windows.

Good luck it will be a bit stinky but it has to be done, chances are that it is sitting sideways on the outlet to the drain tube waiting to catch all the TP.

navegator

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
The black tank is about 8" deep. My guess is that the hose will not be completely in the tank. I would go into the storage area of the camper and cut the drain in a place that it can be put back together. Probably have to cut a section out of it. from there you should be able to see into the tank if the hose is not in the pipe. You can get the rubber pipe connecters to put it back together. The pipe is 3" id and you will not be able to get your hand and arm in it. If the hose is in the tank you will need a grabber tool the get it out.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
ECones wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
I will repeat myself one more time. Leave the black valve open, put the cap on the end of the run and go take the rig for a drive. Very likely it will bounce and follow the slant of the tank and then the pipes. Very possible when you take the end cap off, it will be right there.

I know you said it won't make it past a 90 elbow, but that is impossible in my mind. If it fits in the toilet all the other pipes are the same size.

Also you stated "other" stuff is coming out, that tells me you need to do some work above and beyond the flushing fitting.

But are there any 90 degree turns from the toilet to the tank? It may go through a gentle curve but not a 90 degree turn. I've been playing with the Pythagorean theorem here, and it seems something an inch or so in diameter and even 6" long wouldn't fit through that corner.

Could it be that the Pythagorean theorem is based on 2D concepts, and you have a 3D problem.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer

Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

MtnLiving
Explorer
Explorer
For all of you considering getting the Swivel Stik or using one, maybe you might want to reconsider....

MtnLiving
Explorer
Explorer
The piece lost is made of plastic about 6 inches long. Not flexible.
Inspection camera is a great idea. Looked into it and Home Depot wanted $136 for 4 hours use. Found cameras that you can use with your laptop on Amazon for $20 - $40. Might actually go that route.

Flushed the black tank 15 times and I do have a clear elbow. Didn't come out. This thing is pretty big and long and I can see a 90 elbow that I know it won't make it past. Only flushed so many times because stuff (other than the sprayer) kept coming out. ; )

Wish I could just reach down and grab it. No straight shot to the tank.

We're complete novices to any type of trailer / camper etc. We tent camp and the closest we're come to any type of camper is we slept in the back of our pickup a few times. Don't think that counts. ; )

Not sure how the plumbing goes as the bottom is covered. Might just have to pull the underbelly apart and see how the whole thing links together.

RDS33, now that's an idea I might just have to do. Cut the elbow where I think it'll probably get stuck and then repair it. Just didn't want to have to resort to that.

Thank you for all your ideas. I really appreciate it. And keep them coming...

So I'm going to use a combination of all your collective knowledge. Going to get a cheap camera from Amazon and see if I can spot it. If I see it, I can measure the length of the fish tape that went in then I know how far it has gone. If it's too deep to reach from the head, I'll remove the underbelly and measure again so I know exactly where it's lodged itself. Then I can cut and repair the pipes. They are just PVC sewer pipes and it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Sounds like a good plan? Maybe someone can add something to it?

Thanks again for all your replies. Glad I joined this forum.

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
Hire a real plumber, they have the tools and know how to retrieve it. Money well spent.
2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is that flexible part made of metal? Can you put a magnet on a hose and hope you get lucky, touch it, then pull it back out the way it went in? Or use the magnet to drag it to the drain valve then pull it out that way.

Just a thought this may not work.

Take a magnet in your pocket into a wall mart and see if sticks to a new one of those things.