cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken Anderson Leveler

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a lot of good things said about Anderson Levelers here and after a couple of years I bought a pair. 1st time out using only one on a single axle Rpod travel trailer it worked great. 2nd time out using a pair on a twin axle 28' travel trailer one of them broke. The one that broke was on the back axle and as it was coming down off the leveler it broke in half, at the same point where I have seen photographs of others breaking.

The temperature was approximately 55 degrees so it wasn't a freezing/brittle issue. It did not get caught on anything. It was rotating upward as the trailer was pulling forward and simply broke. The trailer certainly wasn't overloaded and the other leveler did fine. It looks to me that too much material is removed, or not injected in the manufacturing process since from other's photographs the break is in the same location.

Just wondering if others have had the same issue. I've sent a "question" to Anderson. They have a one-year warranty and these were purchased two months ago. Couldn't file a "warranty claim" online since our address of 37 years was "invalid". Got to love modern technology.
13 REPLIES 13

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have broken two - in both cases it was a larger (think lemon-size) rock buried in softer soil underneath the leveler that caused uneven distribution of the weight and broke the leveler. Andersen replaced both by two-day FedEx and I now check for rocks and uneven ground. If in doubt, I carry 12" x 12" squares of exterior plywood in 1/2" and 1/4" thicknesses and will put one of these under the leveler. We love them and have had no further problems using them with our 13,400 lb. (per scales) fifth wheel. (Tip: we also have a LevelMatePRO that links to the phone so I can see the how level the trailer is without getting out of the truck.)

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I use a strip of rubber matting under them when I think they'll need it. With my narrow tire spread I trimmed them down about 1 1/2". After using wood blocks for years I like then levelers although not perfect. I do carry a few cut offs of composit decking for the times the levelers down't have enough lift. At those times I put the rubber between the blocks and the levelers.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using my levelers for 3 years now, mostly on hard dirt. I've had no trouble at all.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I use 2X8 lumber, tried most other things but I always go back to the PT lumber
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Not broken but unhappy with performance.

On grass they slide, on asphalt they slide, on gravel they dig a hole, just don't work as advertised.

The product had great promise. Why in the world did they put a slick, smooth surface on the bottom?

Andersen does sell a rubber leveler pad to help prevent slippage.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've had them slide on wet grass/mud but never anything else.
So far, we couldn't be more happy with them.

Labman7
Explorer
Explorer
They have a 3 year warranty, I have the card that came with mine. So far they are fine on our 11,000# Octane. I do carry my old "lego blocks" along since we have them.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Not broken but unhappy with performance.

On grass they slide, on asphalt they slide, on gravel they dig a hole, just don't work as advertised.

The product had great promise. Why in the world did they put a slick, smooth surface on the bottom?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting topic as I too have read a number of reports from owners complaining that their Andersen leveler (note the spelling :W ) broke. I'd probably have a set myself by now except that the axle spread on my Coachmen is so narrow that even trimming the leveler isn't sufficient for it to clear the tires without jamming. I've thus stuck with my tried 'n true Lynx / Wood Leveling System which has worked faultlessly for years on any site we've ever encountered. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing like good old treated lumber over plastic any day.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I gave up on mine.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard about it before although usually with a bigger rig then yours. If I remember right, Anderson is good about replacing them.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've been using a set for about 4 years now. Only 1/2 a season on our new, heavier TT though. The old TT weighed in at about 7200# and we never had any problem with them.
Time will tell if our new TT which has about 8700~9300 on the axles will stress the Andersons over time but they've been OK so far.
I wonder if there's something one could fill the cavities with that wouldn't be too heavy but would reinforce them.