cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Build quality by same manufacturer: Class A vs 5th vs TT

jim1521
Explorer
Explorer
Not a debate on build quality of different manufacturers, but rather more of a question of build quality within a manufacturer over different lines:

For example, Forest River makes Class A, Class C, 5th wheels, travel trailers toy haulers, etc. (BTW, not picking on Forest River, just using them as an example of a manufacturer that has a broad portfolio of products).

Is the quality of their Class A builds the same as the quality of their Travel Trailers? Do they use the same people in building them? Do they use the same people in QA? PDI? Are they built on the same assembly lines (i.e. Motor Division, Towable Division)?
11 REPLIES 11

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
"They" put their best craftsman in their entry level bumper pull division and let the unskilled new hires build their $200,000 Class A's. Really? Of course not.

They aren't craftsmen, they are assemblers.

I was being sarcastic with the "craftsman" comment. I have been in both entry level units and $200k rigs.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
"They" put their best craftsman in their entry level bumper pull division and let the unskilled new hires build their $200,000 Class A's. Really? Of course not.

They aren't craftsmen, they are assemblers.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a big different between what a manufacturer makes. I would look at a trailer, a class "C", a class "B", a gasser class "A", then a DP "A", and each will be built to completely different levels. You can tell this by how the cabinets are shaped, the dividers separating cabinets, doors, screws versus staples, and so on.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Most manufacturers have different lines. Some are economy models while others are top of the line.It's just like cars manufacturers.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
It is not the manufacturer as it is the model and how it is built. There are lower quality lines for many manufacturers.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
In your example, FR has a lot of different plants, QC is plant specific.

MrWizard
jplante4 wrote:
Well, FR bought Dynamax in 2011, and they were making some nice Super Cs. They also own a couple of bus companies, so the in-house expertise for building a quality motor home is there. The Berkshire seems to have a cult following, so I would think that objective opinions would be hard to come by.

When companies are bought out by a conglomerate, the original structure ( mfg, QA ) is usually left alone as long as the division continues to make money. Customer service and purchasing as normally centralized.

exactly what i'm pointing out
the different products are assembled in different places, by different employees

the people building a Bus or a trailer, are not working on anything else
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I dont think its even a matter of different product types, It seems more to be a difference by level or overall cost of product lines.
Since many interior items, water pumps, heaters, appliances etc, are the same across a wide variety of product lines from basic $12,000 tt's to $30,000 units the change in quality in large part is likely in the time manufacturing crews are given to assemble the materials, as much as its a difference in materials. Yes Glass exteriors are one major upgrade cost, bigger tanks or heavier axles add some, but the difference in cost and quality are as much or even more so a matter of the time crews are given.
And yes I talked of TT's ,but with a Class A or any other unit the same principles apply.

MrWizard
short answer NO

brand names ? owned the mfg are usually assembled in different facilities

companies such as fleetwood are a conglomerate of multiple mfgs that were bought up

different places build the class A, tt etc..

Winnebago might build their TT at the same facility, even then it would be on a different line with different emplyees
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Well, FR bought Dynamax in 2011, and they were making some nice Super Cs. They also own a couple of bus companies, so the in-house expertise for building a quality motor home is there. The Berkshire seems to have a cult following, so I would think that objective opinions would be hard to come by.

When companies are bought out by a conglomerate, the original structure ( mfg, QA ) is usually left alone as long as the division continues to make money. Customer service and purchasing as normally centralized.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox