cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bum leg, again

richardwise
Explorer
Explorer
You may remember last September and October I posted about an infection problem with my leg. It had been going about a year, and now it is to the point of having to do something about it. Just talked to my doctor today. It is on the prosthesis that was put in 5 years ago, and in the bone. Removing and replacing prosthesis is not an option, it goes from below knee to about 8" above the knee. Most everything in and around the knee has calcified-turned to bone. Getting all the infection out will be impossible, chances of healing are slim, and the whole process will start over and over,until it leads to amputation. The second option I was given was amputation now. This will be done early next month, and hopefully will not mess up our first planned snowbird season. Even though my wife and I have spent the last 5 years since my accident saying I would be better off if the leg had been taken then, and not tried to be fixed, it's very scary knowing it will happen.
3 REPLIES 3

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has been fighting chronic bone infection in her right pelvis for 1 1/2 years. She does not have any prosthesis so your case is more difficult. Six months ago they finally found a antibiotic that dropped the blood markers into the normal range. They call it controlled but not cured. The infection doctor told her that she will probably be on antibiotics for another 2 years, It is really tough to kill a bone infection because of the lack of blood vessels in bones. Have they mentioned going in and debriefing the area and packing it will antibiotic beads. Any how hope all goes well with your rehab.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
I remember your story very well. Best wishes for a successful surgery and fast recovery. It's definitely scary but it sounds like the best option.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi