cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buyer beware

sarahm
Explorer
Explorer
Beware of buying anything from Walmart online. Walmart has been trying to compete w/ Amazon by offering great deals online. Many of these "deals" do not exist. I tried to order generator twice. Both times the generator never came. When I called Walmart about orders. I was told there was a "processing" error, and I need to reorder. The third time I tried to order gen it came-up as $118.00 more than I paid for the last two times I ordered the gen. Walmart will not honor cheaper price on gen. Even though orders were cancelled by them. I have complained to BBB. If the price is too good to be true, or your order is "processing" for more than 2 days. Than its a fake ad. Giving everyone heads-up.
26 REPLIES 26

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Seriously? They screwed it up twice and you ordered a third time :?

If he didn't - he wouldn't be able to post as a "three time loser"..:W

~

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
double post

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Some Walmarts will price match their internet prices and some will not. Not sure what the actual company policy is.Like you said if the item is in stock and cheaper online you can always order for pick up and get the lower price.

Our local store used to match sale prices by other local retailers if you just brought the ad in and it was the exact same item. They no longer do that.

No matter, Walmart prices are hard to beat. I just bought a container of Acetone at Lowes for about 7.75. Was in Walmart and decided to see if they carried it. Same size can was around 4.50. I checked the cans and both were from the same chemical company even though the brand names on the cans were different.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
I pretty much avoid walmart as a general rule, but I will be interested to see if they keep going with the free shipping.

When they first started in-store pick-up, I tried to get them to price match an item on their website and they refused, so standing in the store, I placed the order and by the time I finished my other shopping, the item was ready for pick-up. I happen to know the manager of the store and told him that it seemed to me it would be a lot less hassle on everyone if they had just matched their own price.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think there's any way Amazon can force their third-party sellers and drop-shippers to guarantee 2-day shipping for Prime members, even if Amazon is paying the shipping costs. Some third-party and drop-ship items aren't even manufactured until there's an order in hand.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I go all over the Internet when looking for any particular item I want to buy to check both price and shipping charges. Often I find someone, somewhere offering the item both with free shipping and at a competitive price (and often with no tax, too).

How a supplier can offer both (or all three, depending upon tax laws) at the same time is part of their business model challenge .

Now the first place I check for both free shipping and low base price is the Walmart site. It used to be that my first place to look was the Amazon site after I had become an Amazon Prime member. If Amazon doesn't find a way around the business model challenge of being able to offer every item on their site (regardless of it's shipment originating source) at no shipping cost for Prime Members, I may have to stop paying for the membership.

It's tough being a supplier in the world marketplace - thanks to the Internet. But plenty of suppliers are figuring out how to deal with it and still make their stakeholders rich.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

I've been an Amazon Prime member for quite some time .... and lately it seems like more and more of their items are not offered under "Amazon Prime" free shipping. I wonder if "Amazon Prime" isn't gradually becoming merely a marketing common-on trick (Amazon Prime movies notwithstanding) and actually applying to less and less of the products that show up on their website. I'm really not interested in whether "Amazon" or a "3rd party through Amazon" is selling an item that shows up on Amazon's website. The logistics and internal operating arrangements as to how Amazon gets any particular product to show up on their website is their problem - and not mine to be concerned with. When I signed up for Amazon Prime my intent and assumption was to get free shipping all the time on every item. If Amazon has to gradually increase their Amazon Prime annual membership fee in order to offer it this way ... then so-be-it ... but don't mislead us non-fine-print-reading customers into thinking "Amazon Prime" means free shipping.

(Rant over - that's what happens when I type before drinking my first cup of coffee!)

The issue is the sellers that are merchant fulfilling on Amazon. I.E. the product is not shipped from an Amazon warehouse so they have no way of controlling that and up to the individual seller. But as a consumer that signs up for the premium service Amazon offers I completely understand the issue of not getting that benefit for 100% of items purchased on their website.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
If Walmart can keep up their "Free Shipping" online policy they'll either have to abandom the policy, later - or will clean Amazon's clock, eventually. I've ordered several small items ($5-$20 range) online from Walmart recently that have all arrived within 2 days and with free shipping. This Walmart practice definitely makes it not worth my time and money to drive into town and shop in their store much anymore.

I've been an Amazon Prime member for quite some time .... and lately it seems like more and more of their items are not offered under "Amazon Prime" free shipping. I wonder if "Amazon Prime" isn't gradually becoming merely a marketing common-on trick (Amazon Prime movies notwithstanding) and actually applying to less and less of the products that show up on their website. I'm really not interested in whether "Amazon" or a "3rd party through Amazon" is selling an item that shows up on Amazon's website. The logistics and internal operating arrangements as to how Amazon gets any particular product to show up on their website is their problem - and not mine to be concerned with. When I signed up for Amazon Prime my intent and assumption was to get free shipping all the time on every item. If Amazon has to gradually increase their Amazon Prime annual membership fee in order to offer it this way ... then so-be-it ... but don't mislead us non-fine-print-reading customers into thinking "Amazon Prime" means free shipping.

(Rant over - that's what happens when I type before drinking my first cup of coffee!)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
sarahm wrote:
...If I don't get this one, I'm going to report them to Attorney Gen. Even if I get this gen. This whole thing has left a very unpleasant taste in my mouth.

If it doesn't arrive get a life and move on and pay a higher price elsewhere.

Saying to get a life is a bit rude but sarahm does seem to be a little over the top on their level of disdain for Walmart. Like the old bumper stick said, "Shat Happens!"
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had just the opposite.
We have bought a half dozen things from Walmart on line and have had excellent luck, and they have beaten every one elses prices
I would use them again in a heart beat

jack L
Jack & Nanci

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
sarahm wrote:
Gen was sold by Walmart, not separate Vendor. When I talked to Customer Rep the first time. She said there were over 200 in-stock. I went back online after the second time they dropped the ball. To try, and get a price match from Lowes. That's when I found out Walmart only now offers gen through outside Vendor at higher price. Walmart's lower price gen was nowhere to found. Walmart called me yesterday after roasting them in their customer satisfaction survey. Customer Service Rep offered me a $50.00 gift cert for my next online order. I very politely in formed her where she could put that gift cert. Then she offered to help me order an off, off brand name gen for the same price as the Champion gen. That off, off brand is normally sold at that price. I very politely told her where she could put that. She told me that the gen offered by Walmart was "out-of stock", but she would lower the price of the Vendor's gen by $108.00. I took that offer. Yes, I know 3 times a sucker. She said the gen will arrive on Fri. The website said it would arrive on Thur. Not a good start to this order. If I don't get this one, I'm going to report them to Attorney Gen. Even if I get this gen. This whole thing has left a very unpleasant taste in my mouth.

If it arrives on Thurs. I would refuse it and make them deliver it on Fri. as listed. Glad I don't have to deal with customers like you. :S

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I can relate to how upset you are but I would not let one bad experience ruin possible future good experiences.

I have spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of transactions with Lowes. 99 plus percent are positive. The worst experience ever with them happened to be a project on my own home, really screwed up carpet order. I was pissed and we had a heart to heart, they apologized, adjusted the price, which at that point was all they could do, and we moved on. I still buy there and enjoy their great customer service.

Try to get over it and move on.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
sarahm wrote:
Gen was sold by Walmart, not separate Vendor. When I talked to Customer Rep the first time. She said there were over 200 in-stock. I went back online after the second time they dropped the ball. To try, and get a price match from Lowes. That's when I found out Walmart only now offers gen through outside Vendor at higher price. Walmart's lower price gen was nowhere to found. Walmart called me yesterday after roasting them in their customer satisfaction survey. Customer Service Rep offered me a $50.00 gift cert for my next online order. I very politely in formed her where she could put that gift cert. Then she offered to help me order an off, off brand name gen for the same price as the Champion gen. That off, off brand is normally sold at that price. I very politely told her where she could put that. She told me that the gen offered by Walmart was "out-of stock", but she would lower the price of the Vendor's gen by $108.00. I took that offer. Yes, I know 3 times a sucker. She said the gen will arrive on Fri. The website said it would arrive on Thur. Not a good start to this order. If I don't get this one, I'm going to report them to Attorney Gen. Even if I get this gen. This whole thing has left a very unpleasant taste in my mouth.

If it doesn't arrive get a life and move on and pay a higher price elsewhere.

sarahm
Explorer
Explorer