Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buying a new, but damaged trailer

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
Went looking today and we found a trailer that we really like on the lot. It's a 2015 holdover and the front right corner of the trailer looks like it was hit while on the lot. The rock guard has a dent in it and the corner trim is a little messed up. There are also some black scuff marks on the fender skirts too, but those don't concern me as much.

I cant imagine it's going to be a cheap fix to make it perfect again, but I might be able to live with an oops I didn't create. Do we run, or consider it for the right price... perhaps with extended warrantee thrown in, extras, etc.?

It's a little hard to see, but here is the worst of it.

2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH
12 REPLIES 12

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1.wa wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
As long as the damage hasn't created a potential water leak (it looks low enough as to be below the floor line. Then I would buy it. Trust me, you will put a ding or 2 in it yourself!

X2
x3

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd put a puller on that and have it half-straightened in a few minutes. If you want it cosmetically perfect, replace the diamond plate. The plastic side panel should realign once the rock guard is reoriented.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

et2
Explorer
Explorer
It looks to me to be more than just minor damage. See the lower left corner where it meets the side panel as well. If that isn't a storage area where that damage is it directly effects the structural wall(s). There is no amount of money worth having to deal with future problems caused by that. If buying new, it wouldn't even be a consideration for me. If you get them to fix it you can guarantee they'll do it as cheap and as quick as possible. Unless you plan on doing it yourself of course.

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
As long as the damage hasn't created a potential water leak (it looks low enough as to be below the floor line. Then I would buy it. Trust me, you will put a ding or 2 in it yourself!

X2
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you can do simple repairs and straighten the existing parts, it is a cheap fix. That diamond plate is real thin and easily replaced. The corner can be replaced, just need to make it watertight. So using new parts, it still is not a costly repair. Of course a dealer would want a fortune to do it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd totally buy that with the right discount for the minor oops. That is, if it's the trailer you like.
So looks like it didn't get into the side panel and appears the trim is just tweaked from the dent in the stone guard.
Fwiw, that diamond plate is probably just held on by some screws behind the trim and if it won't pound out, you can buy a new sheet of diamond plate for like $100. Worst case there's a cracked piece of wood behind it or something.
Just don't let the dealer convince you that the normal amount off of Msrp is the "discount" for the damage. If I wanted that trailer, I'd negotiate the best deal I could on a similar unit and then work em for how much off for the scratch n dent sale.
The dealer is just being lazy as that's a days work and maybe $200 in materials to fix.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
Fire Instructor wrote:
Tell them that you want a 12mo. factory warranty off the lot, AND a discount due to their collision..... If they will deal, and you can live with the oops, it'll all be good!

It's a new trailer, so it still has factory warranty, but I'm thinking more long term warranty. I do realize however, that an extended wouldn't necessarily cover any water damage that could result from the damage.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up a 2x4 off the road when it fell of a semi trailer this last trip out. I was so embarrassed to be seen with this damage on my unit I took into the repair shop the same day.
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
Tell them that you want a 12mo. factory warranty off the lot, AND a discount due to their collision..... If they will deal, and you can live with the oops, it'll all be good!
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
My concern would be that is the location with the biggest chance of water penetration. Forward corner catching all the road spray from the truck. I would want it fixed professorially with a warranty.

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
my damage is in the same place as yours and while it looks worse, is only cosmetic as yours appears to be also.

My damage also seems to affect all the same panels as yours, only worse. My repair just cost me 5K CDN. Now, given that my replacement panels came from heartland, shipping costs etc etc, exchange rate etc I suspect that to fix yours you will be in the neighborhood of 2K USD

2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission