cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camco RV vent covers

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm tired of replacing vent lids from sun damage, so finally getting some covers. While I know many of you recommend the MaxxAir covers, I liked the idea of the Camcos opening up in the rear for vent screen cleaning. I didn't want/need the much larger MaxxAir 2s, that tip up. Since ordering the Camco covers, I've read that they do not last long in the sun. I'm sure other members have actual experience. Anyone care to give a review of their experience?

Jerry

18 REPLIES 18

Tacky
Explorer
Explorer
no complaints with my Camco vent covers so far.
Shiawassee County, Michigan

MrWizard
Polyethylene, polystyrene, polypropylene

Lots of different plastics, No! ...they are not all the same stuff
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

donut_dave
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 camcos which are 15 years old (2004 trailer) and they are still doing fine. the only negative is that when I bought them they were white and now are gray. the spray paint idea is a good thought.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have 2 Maxxair (black) covers, not Camco but wouldn't they be the same type of plastic? I put 303 protectant on them and the (black) AC cover and they still look good after 5 years. The small OEM vent covers tend to yellow though, so they could be a different type of plastic?

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I lost both of mine last year while it was sitting in my back yard when we got a real bad storm. I purchased these a few months ago but haven't installed yet.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
I'm tired of replacing vent lids from sun damage, so finally getting some covers. While I know many of you recommend the MaxxAir covers, I liked the idea of the Camcos opening up in the rear for vent screen cleaning. I didn't want/need the much larger MaxxAir 2s, that tip up. Since ordering the Camco covers, I've read that they do not last long in the sun. I'm sure other members have actual experience. Anyone care to give a review of their experience?

Jerry

Well we had that exact Camco and after four years, one blew off in a wind storm, and one other was badly cracked. We replace those with MaxxAir with a six year warranty.
Then about a month later another wind storm took one of the two remaining Camco, so now we have all four as MaxxAir.
The Camco were extremely brittle, and basically fell apart.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
That is correct they don’t last as long. Buddy and I had side by side experience. He went cheap, I spent the extra $10. His broke off in no time with the Texas sun. Mine still good when I sold the rig.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The Midwest sun is not like some other areas, but my FW sits on it's concrete pad, on south side of driveway, in the sun, until mid afternoon. I am wanting to use the smaller covers, due to FW height, and camping in SPs.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with these type covers. I think I'll keep/install them, after giving them the suggested benefit of a rattle can paint job. I'd be happy to get 5 yrs use from them.

Jerry

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
MFL,
I would spray the new covers with Krylon white paint and they should last for many years in the sun without discoloring. Things on my trailer that I sprayed about 12 years ago are still white (door window frames, fridge vent on roof, stove vent cover outside, etc.). Our trailer has spent the past 8 of its' 15 year life outside in the sun all year long. By the way, the MaxxAir covers that I have (2 of them) have been on there for all 15 years, were not painted, and still are like new.
Barney

That is a very good idea.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
While I have ordered 3 of these covers, I won't get them until this coming week. I can just return them, get the standard MaxxAir, but hate to remove them to clean debris from underneath, and screens. It is reassuring to see Bobbo's Camco covers lasted a long time, as well as others still having good results, after several yrs.

As to the discoloration, I could still send back, get smoke or black, but would be concerned of the dark color being more quickly damaged by sun UV.

Hope to hear more members thoughts/reviews, as to me, it is a better source than Amazon reviews etc.

Jerry

MFL, that's why I went with the Maxxair II covers; you pull the quick release pins and flip the cover over for easy access to cleaning; takes about 5 seconds. The Maxxair II's also allow you to open the vent cover more for more air flow. Mine are going on 5 years old and still in perfect shape.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL,
I would spray the new covers with Krylon white paint and they should last for many years in the sun without discoloring. Things on my trailer that I sprayed about 12 years ago are still white (door window frames, fridge vent on roof, stove vent cover outside, etc.). Our trailer has spent the past 8 of its' 15 year life outside in the sun all year long. By the way, the MaxxAir covers that I have (2 of them) have been on there for all 15 years, were not painted, and still are like new.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
UV will destroy most any plastic. How long they last depends on where you live and how much time it spends in direct sun.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
While I have ordered 3 of these covers, I won't get them until this coming week. I can just return them, get the standard MaxxAir, but hate to remove them to clean debris from underneath, and screens. It is reassuring to see Bobbo's Camco covers lasted a long time, as well as others still having good results, after several yrs.

As to the discoloration, I could still send back, get smoke or black, but would be concerned of the dark color being more quickly damaged by sun UV.

Hope to hear more members thoughts/reviews, as to me, it is a better source than Amazon reviews etc.

Jerry

wrktfsh
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve had the camcos fall apart due to sunlight. Get a rattle can of whatever color paint you want and spray them. Instant uv protection