cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CAmpground reviews

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
For some time I have been trying to come up with a way to review campgrounds that we visit. I know there are sites that have reviews, which I visit frequently, but there are things that I like to look for. When you look at a campground, what are some of the things that you personally look for?
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150
10 REPLIES 10

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Some RV parks are close to train tracks or other noisemakers. Using Google maps I try to determine if there are tracks close by. I'd rather be near an interstate than an often-used railroad track, especially when the trains blow their horns at all hours of the night if there's a crossing nearby. I can "tune out" interstate noise by running a fan in my bedroom but trains are just too loud. Even if they don't blow their horns the rumbling of the ground can be disturbing...
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

WrongWayRandall
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Solitude but it is hard to find.

Unless you're boondocking, you can just about forget that these days.

That said, we prefer 'off the beaten path' State parks and forests because they tend to be smaller and quieter than the more popular locations. National forests are really good for that too, in most cases. When scouting for a good destination, we always look for a park that has plenty of nature activities (hiking, canoeing, bird watching, etc.) and never stay at large RV parks. It helps to not require any hookups, but, as previously stated, everyone has different expectations.

- Randy
1975 Westfalia Campmobile "Backroads Wanderer"
2014 Rockwood A122 hard side popup

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Solitude but it is hard to find.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
As I'm planning trips, I refer to "RV Park Reviews". I figure the "tens" are relatives of the owner and the "ones" would complain if the weather was bad.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Explorer
Explorer
When I am deciding on campgrounds I want to see reviews that describe the sites, and how well everything worked. I also look to see if there were any problems getting in and out of the campground. I am not concerned about parties or ice cream socials that the campground throws or activities featured. When I look at a campground's website I want to see photos of sites and not kids riding on go carts or pony rides. I am at that campground to use it as a homebase to return to every night after sightseeing every day. When I get to a campground I want to find working full hookups with good cable and wifi reception - and a must - level sites. That is what I am paying for them to provide and I expect for it to be provided.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
It depends why I am at the campground. Is it an overnight stop? Then I was easy access and pull throughs. Am I there for some R&R? Then I look for more amenities. Am I going to a certain site? Then I look for a park close to the site. I think rvpark reviews is a good source. You can read the various reviews and decide if the park will meet your needs.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Since when we go "camping" we tend to like to site see for the most part as a group. Individually things break up; grandson and I like bike, play golf, go karting, while DW likes to rest in her hammock and read, museums, cultural things, etc. She's an inside person and I guess the boy and I are outside people. ๐Ÿ™‚

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
O my trip to NY I stopped at one CG for two days I have been there before and I love going back, I also stopped at a very nice camp a short distance from the other one and loved the site but I would never return because the are steep hills with tight turns at the top with no room to swing wide, one of the turns took out my passenger side leveling jack. The reason why I stopped off at this CG even though it was close to the place I had just left was that I was not feeling well and was feeling ill. I asked for a pull through because I was feeling to ill to un hook and I just wanted to rest without unhooking. It turned out that the pull thru did not have enough room to stay connected. I had to unhook otherwise my truck would have blocked anyone trying to exit. It's a darn shame that poor planning of the roadways ruined and excellent campground I would loved to visit again
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Is the campground Good Sam rated. Can I fit and get my 5th wheel into the site and extend the slides--is there enough room for my truck--is there a deck area with a table--is there a TV cable outlet--are the water, electrical, and dump outlets easy to access--is the electrical 30 or 50 amp--is the site level(so many of them are not), is there a restroom/shower available--is it kept clean. Is there WIFI. Some ideas. Lars
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Ka_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Your question will depend on your personal taste in campgrounds.
Some like rustic and some like resort (which is a word that needs a new definition)
If you like a 5 star type park with paved sites, landscaping, etc you would look for different features than someone who likes the more rustic back to nature type park.

There are some ways the different directories use to come up with ratings, but again it comes down to your personal tastes.