cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Campground Trash

ocbms
Explorer
Explorer
Another 3 day weekend has ended and the old problem is seem. It seems a 3 door dumpster only has one door that works. It doesn't have to a long weekend but all the trash gets throw in nearest door. When the area is full the door is lifted little more and piled higher leaving the doors nearly empty.
This isn't a Illinois State Park Problem as I have in other parks and other states. A sign had been used previously but not successful.
I thought part of recycling was putting the trash waste containers so animals didn't eat, swallow and/or choke on people waste.
Clay
2015 Freightliner M2 106
2016 Mobile Suites 38PS3
Previously 2010 Montana and Pleasure Way Excel TS
28 REPLIES 28

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd suggest that they be fined a clean-up fee and not allowed to use the campground again until the fine is paid.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been campground hosting for 2.5 years now and for the most part, the campers are pretty good, but you have the 2% that ruin camping for the others. They let the kids loose and do not make sure they put water bottles and candy wrappers in trash cans, adults use the fire rings as trash pits and they make a huge mess in the rest rooms.

I often wonder if their home looks the same way? I would like the parks to log the names of slobs and either not let them in the parks or charge them double.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Teacher's Pet wrote:
gbopp wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I figure it's a basic WIN that folks even take their trash to the dumpster.

I think it's a major win. Most of the hogs would leave it at their campsite.

1/2 burnt in the fire pit.

Grrrrrrrrr! Firepit hogs are the worst!
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I put the firewood in the camp fire ring first then pour it directly on the firewood. That ensures it will burn and also helps get the wood started.

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Ok a question. I do all my cooking outside. Is it acceptable to pour bacon grease in the fire ring, knowing I will be starting a fire later? Keep in mind this is in Texas and so far I haven't seen any bears around. Just wondering.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
weathershak wrote:
mowermech wrote:
Just have the State convert all the parks to mirror many of the Forest Service campgrounds here in Montana:
No trash service; PACK IT IN, PACK IT OUT!
EVERYBODY has to take their garbage home with them.
It works quite well. Of course, there is always some damfool tourist who leave his trash bagged by the side of the road, thinking the camphost will pick it up. They are, however, fairly rare. Most people read and follow the rules.
Even the tourists....

Delaware does that in the day use areas and it works fair. I for one am not going to haul back home certain items. For example, dog poo. I am not hauling that stuff home. I will pick it up and bag it, and walk to the rest rooms, which DO have trash containers near by. I would not camp in a campground that would require me to take my trash home with me, I am not going to hold onto a weeks worth of trash to take home. It would be a bit tangy by then.:E

Then, please, DO NOT go camping in any Forest Service campground in Montana, if you ever vacation here.
By the way, the "rest rooms" in the campgrounds I am referring to are vault toilets. There are NO trash cans in there, and putting trash in or dumping your RV tanks in them is against the rules. There are a very few campgrounds that do have dumpsters; the only ones I have seen are in the Red Lodge area. The reason for not having dumpsters is very simple: MONEY! It is very expensive to have somebody go way back in the boonies to empty dumpsters. I would rather have the camping rates kept low and take my trash home!

Rest assured, I will not visit any Forest Service campground in Montana or any Campground that does NOT have a place to dispose trash. A day or 2 is one thing. I am talking about staying somewhere for a week.
Full timing it since July 2012

babun
Explorer
Explorer
The CG I'm staying at has a large plastic garbage can at EVERY site. All 90 of them!! Even the
rural tent sites get a can. The CG has a golf cart set up as a "garbage truck",
and they empty the cans every second day or so.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
weathershak wrote:
mowermech wrote:
Just have the State convert all the parks to mirror many of the Forest Service campgrounds here in Montana:
No trash service; PACK IT IN, PACK IT OUT!
EVERYBODY has to take their garbage home with them.
It works quite well. Of course, there is always some damfool tourist who leave his trash bagged by the side of the road, thinking the camphost will pick it up. They are, however, fairly rare. Most people read and follow the rules.
Even the tourists....

Delaware does that in the day use areas and it works fair. I for one am not going to haul back home certain items. For example, dog poo. I am not hauling that stuff home. I will pick it up and bag it, and walk to the rest rooms, which DO have trash containers near by. I would not camp in a campground that would require me to take my trash home with me, I am not going to hold onto a weeks worth of trash to take home. It would be a bit tangy by then.:E

Then, please, DO NOT go camping in any Forest Service campground in Montana, if you ever vacation here.
By the way, the "rest rooms" in the campgrounds I am referring to are vault toilets. There are NO trash cans in there, and putting trash in or dumping your RV tanks in them is against the rules. There are a very few campgrounds that do have dumpsters; the only ones I have seen are in the Red Lodge area. The reason for not having dumpsters is very simple: MONEY! It is very expensive to have somebody go way back in the boonies to empty dumpsters. I would rather have the camping rates kept low and take my trash home!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
pegdiver wrote:
Pack it out works for those going home. We usually go to the next campground. I for one am not going to hold my trash for 5 months!

I'm not driving it around in my RV either....on my way home.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
ocbms wrote:
Another 3 day weekend has ended and the old problem is seem. It seems a 3 door dumpster only has one door that works. It doesn't have to a long weekend but all the trash gets throw in nearest door. When the area is full the door is lifted little more and piled higher leaving the doors nearly empty.
This isn't a Illinois State Park Problem as I have in other parks and other states. A sign had been used previously but not successful.
I thought part of recycling was putting the trash waste containers so animals didn't eat, swallow and/or choke on people waste.
Clay

"Trashy" vent/rant!..:W

No doubt next year's labor day week end will be vastly improved as a result.

~

pegdiver
Explorer
Explorer
Pack it out works for those going home. We usually go to the next campground. I for one am not going to hold my trash for 5 months!
2012 Winnebago Adventurer 37F with 2012 Jeep Liberty toad.
Old - 1999 32' Adventurer (no slides) with Grand Vitara toad (105,000 miles!)
Pride 3 wheel mobility scooter
Only 3 states to go in the USA, Camped in most of Canada and 4 states in Mexico too!

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Teacher's Pet wrote:
gbopp wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I figure it's a basic WIN that folks even take their trash to the dumpster.

I think it's a major win. Most of the hogs would leave it at their campsite.

1/2 burnt in the fire pit.

Or put live ammunition in the fire pit! I have run across bullets maliciously placed in fire pits, buried in the ashes and pointed toward where people naturally sit.

Yes, they do shoot off and injure. Do not have the same velocity as a gun, but still enough to injure or possibly kill.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
In the case of the over flowing trash, yes the people could have done better but the park dropped the ball.

I don't see why parks can't do like hotels and rental cars do. Thrash them out and you will be paying for it.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
Loved staying in the Myrtle Beach State Park (Huntingon?). Place was fantastic, however, the area where they kept multiple dumpsters was a nightmare. Hidden behind privacy fencing but you could smell it before you saw it. South Carolina in August doesn't help either. People would just drop bags of trash next to the dumpsters resulting in wildlife tearing into them at night and the contents leaking over the ground and rotting during the day. Huge dumpsters with partitions for recycling but some just didn't care and tossed their bags wherever.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0