cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping World and Forest River Parting Ways?

nomad_297
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I've heard and read. I've also heard that Camping World will no longer do warranty service on Forest River products unless they were bought from them.

Does anybody have more details of what is happening here? Who fired who?

Bruce
35 REPLIES 35

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Our local Camping World hasn't carried Forest River products for the last 5 years that we know of.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
We were just at an RV expo in Indianapolis yesterday and the local Camping World had two Rockwoods on display.

They had a 2016 2703WS, which is what we have, and one of the new Rockwood A-Frames.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:
Greentow wrote:
Lots of discussion, but may I offer my 2 cents. Been to the Cedar Creek Factory 5 times in the past 9 years. (CC is part of FR). Service, AWESOME. Assistance. AWESOME. And if you own a FR product and have never be to a FROG Rally, then you need to attend one (or several). Can't say enough good things about what FR does for it's customers.

Am I biased? Possibly. I am on my third CC in just over 10 years.

And what do the rest do that can't drive to the factory or attend the rally ? I don't drive to Detroit to get my car fixed.

Nothing but a great experience with our FR product.

My wife, who is in the Air National Guard, had to go to Tennessee for training, and we took the trailer.

While we were there, our shower started leaking, and my wife had the truck at the base while I was "home" at the RV park during the day with our two-year-old, so we were unable to take the trailer to the nearest dealer.

I emailed the Rockwood warranty rep (got his info from the FROG forum) and within one hour I had an authorization to call a mobile RV repair tech. We called one, and he came and fixed the leak. The warranty rep told me to pay the bill and submit the receipt as soon as possible for reimbursement.

We waited three weeks until we returned home, I emailed a copy of the work order and credit card receipt, and a few days later, I got a check in the mail for the full amount of the repair, including the service call charge, which isn't cheap with some mobile RV repair joints.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Greentow wrote:
Lots of discussion, but may I offer my 2 cents. Been to the Cedar Creek Factory 5 times in the past 9 years. (CC is part of FR). Service, AWESOME. Assistance. AWESOME. And if you own a FR product and have never be to a FROG Rally, then you need to attend one (or several). Can't say enough good things about what FR does for it's customers.

And what do the rest do that can't drive to the factory or attend the rally ? I don't drive to Detroit to get my car fixed.

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
CW might have been dragging the Forest River name down thru the mud. Do I have yo say more?

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
CW service is horrible they had mine for 2 weeks did nothing zero.

Greentow
Explorer
Explorer

2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (loaded). Mrs Greentow & Missy & Maggie, Shih Tzu's with an attitude. USA(R). 30+ years in the Fire/EMS service, GS Life member.
TV is a 2012 RAM 5500 Quadcab with body by Eby (flatbed). Cummins 6.7 with 6 speed auto.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
GMandJM wrote:
Putting a little perspective on that $5Million: Berkshire-Hathaway had a cash pile estimated at $67BILLION.

(Until last week when it paid $37Billion-and-change for Precision Castparts.)

Yes you are of course correct. My point was that as the Leader of BH Mr Buffett is looking at the bottom lime of Forest River and not happy. And a 5 Million dollar hit to FR bottom line IS significant and would not make him very happy with their management. My post may have not been specific enough.

"Specifics" won't help.

Some get it some don't...;)

Wumba
Explorer
Explorer
TJ/CW is still selling Forest River's. I'm picking up a unit there next week.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not surprised, my mechanic told me that Forest River keeps him in business and since he loves us, not to buy one. LOL

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
GMandJM wrote:
Putting a little perspective on that $5Million: Berkshire-Hathaway had a cash pile estimated at $67BILLION.

Yes you are of course correct. My point was that as the Leader of BH Mr Buffett is looking at the bottom lime of Forest River and not happy. And a 5 Million dollar hit to FR bottom line IS significant and would not make him very happy with their management. My post may have not been specific enough.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer

G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bamaman1 wrote:
Forest River is owned by Berkshire Hathaway--Warren Buffet's huge investment firm. $5 million is a pittance to them. But what's scary is the government getting into the RV business.

The Feds should be more concerned with tire and brake failures currently going on with RV's. And General Motors' defective ignition switch deaths is up to 147 deaths, and I don't see the National Transportation bunch forcing them to ground those vehicles.

We see Camping World going through the U.S. buying large RV dealerships. The dominant RV dealership in Alabama was the first dealer to receive the first Grand Design fifth wheel trailer made, but Grand Design was dropped like a hot potato when Camping World bought the dealership.

Camping World is having serious operational problems at the present time, and who knows what's going on politically within an RV industry that's consolidating fast. If there is any strained relationship between Camping World and Forest River, it will come out. Other than F/R, there is only one company that could supply so many RV's to C/W.
What was the dealer CW bought out you are talking about?
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bamaman1 wrote:
Forest River is owned by Berkshire Hathaway--Warren Buffet's huge investment firm. $5 million is a pittance to them. But what's scary is the government getting into the RV business.

The Feds should be more concerned with tire and brake failures currently going on with RV's. And General Motors' defective ignition switch deaths is up to 147 deaths, and I don't see the National Transportation bunch forcing them to ground those vehicles.

We see Camping World going through the U.S. buying large RV dealerships. The dominant RV dealership in Alabama was the first dealer to receive the first Grand Design fifth wheel trailer made, but Grand Design was dropped like a hot potato when Camping World bought the dealership.

Camping World is having serious operational problems at the present time, and who knows what's going on politically within an RV industry that's consolidating fast. If there is any strained relationship between Camping World and Forest River, it will come out. Other than F/R, there is only one company that could supply so many RV's to C/W.

Overstatement, misinformation and Oversimplification in almost every line.

5 Million Dollars comes right off the bottom line which will make Mr. Buffet who oversees the fund very unhappy as he is the one who is most concerned by the bottom line.

The Government is NOT into the RV business. There are Federal Regulations that ALL vehicle manufacturers must comply with. They are not new. FR has been caught. The NHTSA is just doing the job they are by law required to do.

Tire and Brake failures are RARE, VERY RARE incidents. According to the LA Times there are 253 Million cars on US roads in 2014 with an average age of 11.4 years.

The NHTSA says the Tire and Wheel failure or problems cause 11,000 crashes per year. However many of those are attributed to loose wheels. IE human intervention not product defectiveness.

11,000 crashes due to tire and wheel failure is 0.00434%! of the 253 million cars on the road. That is an infinitesimal amount. By any measure blowouts are not causing any big problems.

CW is growing. That is how you increase market share in their kind of business...buy your competition. It's a long held pillar of our cherished Capitalist system. And it works. In that process CW is bound to have to pare down the number of RV lines they carry. They will have to decide on which lines to concentrate on and which to jettison. It does not mean their is any dissension or politics or anything other than pure business economics at work. And further it is exactly what they should be doing under the circumstances.

I am no apologist for GSE. And they are experiencing some growing pains. My judgement is they have some long serving management that needs some refreshing. But on a larger scale their problems are no worse than many companies in their position. I think they will solve these problems and grow successfully. Is the consolidation of the RV industry good for consumers? NO. But it is good for companies.

There are more than 12000 RV related businesses in the US most of them dealers. CW currently has 85 locations. That does not make a monopoly of any description.

Facts may not fit your perceived view of the world and how it works but they are still the facts.