clicky
Puma 30RKSS
27 REPLIES 27

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
Jackfate wrote:
Reminds me of k mart/sears deal & hows that working out.

Well, in the years they've managed to stay in business, I can now buy Craftsmen Tools at the local K-Mart. So if that's the case with CW/Gander Mtn. then maybe I will be able to peruse RV stuff at GM.

Except they sold Craftsman to Stanley

Diehard and Kenmore are also for sale

Sears has already sold many of the buildings they owned to a holding company owned by the current CEO

It's a slow liquidation of their assets
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Gander Mountain is already closing 10 stores in TX. Within a few miles of here, we have several Academy Sports stores, several Dick's Sports stores, a Cabellas, and a Bass Pro. Not to mention all the things you can buy at Walmart and small non chain sports stores. Sports Authority has already been squeezed out. Survival of the fittest, and most competitive.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
95% of CWH's interest is likely just Overton's, which seems to complement their RV business.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jackfate wrote:

Well, in the years they've managed to stay in business, I can now buy Craftsmen Tools at the local K-Mart. So if that's the case with CW/Gander Mtn. then maybe I will be able to peruse RV stuff at GM.

WI
Explorer
Explorer
I believe CW only bought 17 (of ~140) stores, no inventory, & both the Gander/Overton names.

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
The Gander Mountain in Springfield IL just went belly up.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure what market Gander Mountain was trying to appeal to.
As others have said, they are way overpriced, 3/4 of the store is clothing, including such great outdoor outfits as lots of pink women's clothing.

I periodically mosey through our local store, and the only one time I've bought anything from them was when it was on a closeout and the price actually was decent.

I don't hold much hope for any type of improvement with Camping World taking over, although perhaps they will now sell some RV-related items in locations where there is no Camping World.

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
Gander Mountain lasted 4 years here in Montgomery. We went in there several times but were way over priced compared to Academy Sports or Dick's Sporting Goods. Also with a Bass Pro 15 miles up the interstate,the parking lot was always empty. We may have spent 150.00 there. And 100.00 of that was at the Going Out of Business sale.
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Ive only bought my sleeping bag from Gander Mountain. that was 25 years ago. GM is setup like a sporting goods store and the prices were just as crazy. I like the BPS and Cabellas.... which I believe was bought by BPS? but they both offer decent prices and a nice shopping experience.

Last I heard the buyout deal did not go through? (BPS buying Cabelas) But I am not sure.

Long ago (30ish years?) we bought some camping stuff from Gander Mountain, including our backpacking tent which we still use. Back then they had good quality stuff at good prices, and were great for "mail order" - remember that term? lol

I thought GM went out of business? Obviously not completely?

It must be very tough to compete with Cabela's / BPS.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ive only bought my sleeping bag from Gander Mountain. that was 25 years ago. GM is setup like a sporting goods store and the prices were just as crazy. I like the BPS and Cabellas.... which I believe was bought by BPS? but they both offer decent prices and a nice shopping experience.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a GM couple miles away .#1 I can,t afford them #2 theres more clothes in the store than sporting goods.#3 we have a great mom,,pop sporting goods close by.#4 I won,t buy from a CW shop.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about other states, but here in FL, it's hard to be a Gander Mountain in a Bass Pro Shops world. BPS offers an "experience" when you visit their stores, and it's basically become a lifestyle brand. GM counters that with higher prices, less selection, and they give you the impression of a big box store...IMHO
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF